Seat modification | GTAMotorcycle.com

Seat modification

87m6chris

Does anyone know of an upholster in the GTA that will do a "Corbin like" seat mod.?
Corbin wants $400 and I just can't swing that.
Thanks

Are you trying to change looks or comfort? When I redid the seat on my Nighthawk, I couldn't find an upholsterer that would do a decent job with the cover for less than a few hundred. That wasn't even touching the foam.

I ended up doing it myself for $20 in foam and a bunch of hours wearing out a sewing machine. It was way better than when I started and I learned a lot, but I now completely understand why redoing upholstery costs so much.

If you want Corbin like comfort, your best bet is Corbin (or mustang or ...).

Does anyone know of an upholster in the GTA that will do a "Corbin like" seat mod.?
Corbin wants $400 and I just can't swing that.
Thanks

No matter what you do you'll be paying $300+ for it anyway, unless you do it yourself. If you haven't already tried out a Corbin, you may want to first. The K75's seat is remarkably comfortable, for stock, and you might find that the harder Corbin is actually LESS comfortable for you.

Then again you could prowl the BMW lists and see if anyone is unloading a used Corbin.

If you just want looks, I got custom front and rear seat covers of ebay for $50 shipped and installed then very easily myself and they look great.

I got a saddlemen seat for my zx6r

Was under $200 shipped from motomummy.com

It has been the best upgrade I have done to my bike.

WOW, great, I have some options, thanks all.
The seat I am wanting to redo is on an 84 FJ1100, pretty comfy seat for crusing but when I accelerate there is nothing there to hold me in the saddle, no lip.

http://www.triplekupholstery.com/

Did a couple seats for me. Two years later they are still great. I paid 175 each with a small gel pad insert (it was long banana style seat, not a small ss bike pan) and brand new cover. Half of corbin it was when I compared it ....

He has usually a booth at the January show.

Saw him back in beginning of October and got my number tag and said he'd be ready to take my seat by mid November. Waited for a call, doesn't return messages and I've given up. Does good work but moves at a snail's pace. I'd look elsewhere.

Theres DIY aspects to this....I made a bumstop seat for my old Trident. I checked out some upholstery shops for the right foam- not all shops carry the very dense stuff needed. I bought some odds and ends, glued them up with contact adhesive, then set it on the seat pan and carved the shape I wanted with an electric carving knife I got at the Salvation Army for ten bucks. San Diego was FILLED with custom upholstery shops, and a guy just cut and stitched a neat seatcover....$80.

Yes, I've used carpet pad with great success. It is basically just chopped up pieces of recycled foam that have been glued together to form a big sheet. It is nice and firm, so it holds its form really well without bottoming out. You can get a huge roll of it at Home Depot for $40, which will be more than enough for a seat or two.

Use multiple layers of foam to build up the seat, held together with 3M Super 77 spray adhesive which you can get at any Canadian Tire. Don't be tempted to use the cheaper Elmer's spray adhesive right beside the 3M stuff - it doesn't stick nearly as well. Once it is built up enough, use a serrated knife to shape it back down. I recommend your wife/mother/roommate's best bread knife for this purpose.

If you build it up a lot, your seat cover won't fit, but you can get a meter of heavy vinyl from Fabricland for $30. You'll also need a heavy duty stapler to put everything back together.

Anybody know where i can pick up foam to do my own seat mod?

I bought mine from a foam store in Hamilton. There is a foam factory/store in Vaughan (near jane and Rutherford?) that does big pieces (couch cushions, mattresses, etc), they would probably sell you a small piece to carve into a seat.

Yes, I've used carpet pad with great success. It is basically just chopped up pieces of recycled foam that have been glued together to form a big sheet. It is nice and firm, so it holds its form really well without bottoming out. You can get a huge roll of it at Home Depot for $40, which will be more than enough for a seat or two.

Use multiple layers of foam to build up the seat, held together with 3M Super 77 spray adhesive which you can get at any Canadian Tire. Don't be tempted to use the cheaper Elmer's spray adhesive right beside the 3M stuff - it doesn't stick nearly as well. Once it is built up enough, use a serrated knife to shape it back down. I recommend your wife/mother/roommate's best bread knife for this purpose.

If you build it up a lot, your seat cover won't fit, but you can get a meter of heavy vinyl from Fabricland for $30. You'll also need a heavy duty stapler to put everything back together.

Home Depot also has the 3M 77 adhesive spray. I bought some there a couple of weeks back.

Back
Top Bottom