Sealant for engine cases | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sealant for engine cases

I'll give those a whirl next time I'm in London, or break down and order it from the devil.

Try lowes, Walmart, TSC, Home Depot
They won't have 518.A tool retailer located in the middle of a bunch of manufacturing facilities like Linamar in Guelph will stock it. Walmart would never sell it.

They won't have 518.A tool retailer located in the middle of a bunch of manufacturing facilities like Linamar in Guelph will stock it. Walmart would never sell it.
A quick google search shows they do.

But not likely they would stock it, probably something you would need to order

A quick google search shows they do.

But not likely they would stock it, probably something you would need to order

FYI, like Best Buy, Walmart's gone the way of Amazon in advertising stuff that's actually sold by third parties who might not have the same shipping and return policies as Walmart themselves.

Walmart would never sell it.
Walmart online has a ton of stuff that "walmart would never sell". I suspect they are using a model like bestbuy where they allow third party sellers to use their site and take a cut. Now, for those items, normally the prices are horrendous as I highly suspect that if you buy one, the "seller" goes to a proper store like Linamar (or somewhere in the US) and buys one and then ships it to you.

You guys never cease to amaze. As predicted it's at amazon and the shipping was extra. The Squeeze managed to circumvent the extra shipping by enrolling in a month of prime free (and circled the cancellation date on the calendar)

I've used whatever RTV I had handy in the shop many times, and never had an issue because of doing so. Main thing is to not use too much of it and encourage it to squeeze out to the outside rather than the inside. I run a really thin bead around the outside of the sealing surface.

They've been assembling engines in this country for 60+ years with gasketmakers that are commonly available, but nooo, it's just gotta be 518. Fanboi types here.
Not exactly, although I agree with you for the most part. But in some special cases (no pun intended), using the wrong sealant can lead to heartache. Just ask Aprilia.

Problem is this isn't a harley where like a tractor you only have to be close.

They've been assembling engines in this country for 60+ years with gasketmakers that are commonly available, but nooo, it's just gotta be 518. Fanboi types here.
I've never used 518 at home. Just at work in the hydraulics industry. I suppose real men would use pinetar they collected near thier cave. Or maybe squeeze some sticky goo out of the tar sands.
But go nuts. Use your 60 year old technology in your moder...... nevermind.

In the old days you made your own gaskets with gasket paper. I wonder if that stuff even exists anymore :)

Hondabond or Yamahabond will work mint, go to your local bike/car dealer to get it.

Hands up if you ever made a gasket from a cheerios box?

In the old days you made your own gaskets with gasket paper. I wonder if that stuff even exists anymore :)

Hondabond or Yamahabond will work mint, go to your local bike/car dealer to get it.
We would sometimes make gaskets out of tar paper back in the day

I have a roll of it. Use it to make water pump gaskets, side cover gaskets etc. Beats getting screwed over by the parts guys charging $10. You can buy it by the foot at most parts stores.

The Loctite 518 is great stuff....wonderful for new/machined faces (surfaces must be rigid). It's a anaerobic sealer.
If you have worn surfaces, nothing beats a actual gasket...or traditional RTV. Loctite 598 cannot be beat, but I generally toss away 1/2 the tube.
I am using Permatex 59203 between rubber gaskets, or case cover (mostly around cam buttons and stator grommets)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom