School Assignment: Anyone have/work at/know of a body shop where lead bars are used? | GTAMotorcycle.com

School Assignment: Anyone have/work at/know of a body shop where lead bars are used?

Jenerator

Older than dirt.
Site Supporter
Hey guys n gals,

So I just started my Industrial Hygiene course (last course in Algonquin's Occupational Safety and Health program) and I have been instructed to look at the processes of an antique/hot rod body shop with regard to the handling of dangerous products such as lead bars. I'm wondering if any of you might be in this type of business (or know someone) that would be willing to let me come by for a quick visit to sketch the shop layout and get an overview of process flow from start to finish (pertinent to the use of the lead bars). Doesn't matter if the shop is specialized in antique cars; do any body shops still use lead bars anyway?? :)

The info won't be used for anything other than my school assignment. Am hoping to make this visit sometime this next week or next weekend.

Thanks a bunch!
Jen

Hey guys n gals,

So I just started my Industrial Hygiene course (last course in Algonquin's Occupational Safety and Health program) and I have been instructed to look at the processes of an antique/hot rod body shop with regard to the handling of dangerous products such as lead bars. I'm wondering if any of you might be in this type of business (or know someone) that would be willing to let me come by for a quick visit to sketch the shop layout and get an overview of process flow from start to finish (pertinent to the use of the lead bars). Doesn't matter if the shop is specialized in antique cars; do any body shops still use lead bars anyway?? :)

The info won't be used for anything other than my school assignment. Am hoping to make this visit sometime this next week or next weekend.

Thanks a bunch!
Jen

Once commonly used on the assembly lines to fuse the C pillar to the roof, lead bars for soldering were condisered a health hazard in the late 70's, or early 80's.
They were replaced with a 'tin' based solder.
Those who worked in the solder booth had to get their blood checked monthly. If lead levels were too high, they were given something else to do outside the booth for a week - then sent back in.

My first job was in a bodyshop decades ago, almost no current bodyshop/restoration shop will be using lead bars. You may find a shop that would use a lead substitute (tin based) in restoration but I really doubt it.
Modern fillers are so user friendly and simple it makes no sense to use lead. There are even modern fillers with aluminum powder mixed it that mimic metal filler it look and performance.

We used lead on a few projects at the owners request, looking back it was stupid, no resperators or masks and standing over molten lead paddling it flat with damp wooden paddles.
All the paint was lead based also and nobody wore a mask sanding either. One of the dirtiest industries I've ever seen, its better now.

OK, good to know, thanks. In the scenario of my assignment lead bars are being used so I'll just visit any body shop to get an idea of the overall process flow then. Cheers. :)

even in attempts to do "100%" restorations, where the original product contained lead, it is permitted to replace lead based solders or paints with alternatives.

Back
Top Bottom