Saving the reflective coating on visor | GTAMotorcycle.com

Saving the reflective coating on visor

Kuro

Site Supporter
Thinking of getting a new lid with mirrored or iridium visor.

I read they last about 1 season before scratching renders it unusable. And they're $40 - $60 a pop. Not quite worth it for 1 season imo.

What are people's experience with their mirrored visors?

Is there a light clear stick on film that could save the reflective surface from scratching?
The only thing i've found is to completely wipe away the mirrored coating to turn it into a tinted visor.

Mine lasted several years, cleaned with warm running water and dried with Kleenex then waxed when I waxed the helmet.

I have no issues with mine. I clean it with warm water and a microfiber.. wax now and then as well.

Probably depends on which brand. I've got a mirror finish Arai visor. Third season with it and no problems. I clean it with light soap and water and sometimes windex (if it's really bug infested) and no scratches or wearing away.

Three years on my mirrored visor and no problem. Clean with warm water and a very small amount of mild soap, dry with micro cloth. The mirror film is on the inside.

Thinking of getting a new lid with mirrored or iridium visor.

I read they last about 1 season before scratching renders it unusable. And they're $40 - $60 a pop. Not quite worth it for 1 season imo.

What are people's experience with their mirrored visors?

Is there a light clear stick on film that could save the reflective surface from scratching?
The only thing i've found is to completely wipe away the mirrored coating to turn it into a tinted visor.

I still have the same Iridium visor after 7 years on my Shoei RF1000 and it is now just starting to chip in sections where rocks/debris have hit it.

I used plexu and/or honda spray polish to clean it with.

Wow seems pretty opposite to the reviews I've read.
What brands are you guys using?

Looks like inferno's shield held up pretty well. For a quality lid like Shoei RF1000, I guess it better be durable.

I'm looking at an Scorpion EXO faceshield.

Probably depends on which brand. I've got a mirror finish Arai visor. Third season with it and no problems. I clean it with light soap and water and sometimes windex (if it's really bug infested) and no scratches or wearing away.

I've heard windex (or anything with ammonia in it) is bad for window tint films... I no longer use anything with ammonia on plastic products.

I've had my Suomy Apex mirrored visor for a couple of years. Hardly any scratches and it still doesn't fog. Although the inside does have a gel-like sticky coating that doesn't like to be wiped down with any sort of cloth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have used my HJC blue mirrored tint for about 7 seasons now. it has some scratches but not anywhere near unusable. the tint is on the outside.
i clean it as a normal visor and it serves me well.

I've had my Arai with mirrored visor for a season and a half (15,000km or so) and see a few specks where debris/stones hit, but thats about it. Otherwise clear still. Just warm water and microfibre cloth to clean it so far.

I've got a Iridium visor on a Shoei 1100 that is scratched to absolutely hell. I can't fault Shoei though....it happened during my last get off on the track when I decided to use my face as a crash cushion...

I have two Icon Alliance helmets that I put mirrored visors onto. So far so good. I got the Icon shield cleaning kit which is essentially a microfibre clotch and a small spray bottle. Water, plus a mild soap sprayed onto the shield plus using the microfibre cloth works great at cleaning the shield without damaging the finish in any way.

Just ordered a silver iridium visor for my helmet.

I already have a clear and dark smoke visor.

Question: for those with dark smoke and mirror-face visors, you notice a difference in tint in sunny daylight? I want a darker view than what i get with my dark smoke, which is why i ordered the mirror face

Treat your visor like you would treat prescription glasses.
Clean with warm (not hot) water, a mild dish soap and a micro fiber cloth to wash and one to dry.
For soap, Dawn is a good choice. Stay away from any harsh chemicals or Windex etc.

Should last for years.

Agreed. Soap/water is all i use
If it's good enough for your @ ss, it's good enough for your glass (or plastic in this case)

Just ordered a silver iridium visor for my helmet.

I already have a clear and dark smoke visor.

Question: for those with dark smoke and mirror-face visors, you notice a difference in tint in sunny daylight? I want a darker view than what i get with my dark smoke, which is why i ordered the mirror face
If you are buying from a good company, they should publish transmittance data.

For oakley sunglasses (easiest table to find, link below), Black iridium (likely closest to your silver mirror) VLT is 10%, dark grey is 10%, grey is 18%. So in short, it depends on the manufacturer. The mirror itself may make no difference looking out. I don't know if your dark smoke is closer to 18% or it is 10% which will be likely be similar to the new visor.

Treat your visor like you would treat prescription glasses.
Clean with warm (not hot) water, a mild dish soap and a micro fiber cloth to wash and one to dry.
For soap, Dawn is a good choice. Stay away from any harsh chemicals or Windex etc.

Should last for years.

^----- This. I have 20+ year old Oakley glasses with iridium coated lenses. Clean the surface properly and outside of scratching it, it will last indefinitely.

Something off AliExpress or sub brand like Icon? Well, you pay your money and you take your chances.

Back
Top Bottom