Saturday August 6th: Newbie ride to the Kawarthas | GTAMotorcycle.com

Saturday August 6th: Newbie ride to the Kawarthas

Lightcycle

Rounder of bolts, Dropper of tools
Site Supporter
UPDATE: Weather looks good. Ride is ON. I will be at the meeting spot at 7:30AM.

It's been a great riding season so far and Neda, Englishj and I would like to share it with some of our newer riders. So join us on a newbie ride through the Kawarthas, lots of great roads and scenery!

Details:

Date: Saturday August 6th
Place:
Pacific Mall, parking lot closest to the NE corner of Kennedy and Steeles
Time: Be there at 7:45AM, depart at 8AM sharp. There will be no one from our group there at 8:05AM.
Map: http://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=U...008186&geocode=Fdi0nAIdbt9F-w&mra=mr&t=h&z=18

Ride level: No 400-series highways, 20 km/h maximum over posted speed limit.
Ride length: 450kms round trip, expect to get back to the 416 around 8PM. We'll go over the route on Saturday morning.
Hosts: Neda, Englishj, Lightcycle + more if the group is large enough

Important Notes: This is a newbie-friendly ride, however it will be a long day and you'll be spending a lot of time in the seat. There is a breakfast stop at 9AM (Haugens if you want to meet us there) and a late lunch stop around 2PM. We will stop for gas every 150 kms or so. There are no other meeting spots besides Haugens. If you want to meet beforehand and ride to Pacific Mall or Haugens, you can organize that independently.

This is NOT a spirited ride. If you are expecting to rip up some twisties, I guarantee you will get bored and go off on your own.
We will set a pace that is comfortable for a range of newer riders, we have a couple of leads/sweeps who are capable of leading different-paced groups, none of which will exceed 20 km/h over the posted limit. However we expect that you will have the skills to ride at least the speed limit. Depending on how many riders show up, we will split the groups up and each leader/sweep will try to maintain visual contact with most of the riders in their group.

I will be there at 7:45AM to cover the basic route, group riding basics and signals. The ride is weather dependent, please check this thread on Saturday morning before you leave to make sure that the ride is still on.

YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR:

- Being on time in the morning, it's a long day and we are leaving at 8AM sharp. There will be no one from our group in the parking lot at 8:05AM.
- Having a full tank of gas and an empty bladder. There is a Petro Canada on the SW corner of Kennedy and Steeles, please gas up before you come to the parking lot.
- Making sure your bike is in good condition. Tires, chain, controls, electrics, etc. all in good running condition. We will not be stopping for you to lube your chain, pump your tires or top up your oil.
- Riding in a safe manner. There is no passing in the group. There are many stops so you can wait till the next stop to slot yourself in closer to the front. Slower riders will always have a sweep behind them, so there is no need to run amber/red lights or blow through stop signs.
- Be comfortable riding at least the speed limit. Most of the roads will be signed 80 km/h. Although there are no 400-series highways and we will be back before sundown, if you have an M1, please have some riding experience and let one of the ride leaders know you are M1.

Please let us know if you are coming out (or thinking about it) so we can plan to get more sweeps/leads to split the groups up into manageable sizes.

Sign-Up List

1. Neda
2. Englishj
3. Lightcycle
4. nyx
5. badjoke
6. sinic
7. pablo88
8. EC2010
9. SuckaB
10. BioRouge
11. BioRouge +1
12. boshunter
13. boshunter +1
14. taiga
15. OpenGambit
16. OpenGambit +1
17. garyxchan
18. chin.r
19. Ddub
20. lifetime155
21. pi
22. Denster
23. vnikolic

Last edited:
I may join in. Haven't done any group rides this season yet, but I'm not a morning person.

Hello, I may join in, should be free that saturday.

Count me in - may have another fellow join with me.

I am in +1 =)

Last edited:
I'd be interested in tagging along for this ride since I've never been up to the Kawarthas. I just got here from BC and haven't explored southern Ontario roads yet. I don't mind riding sweep!

Not expecting to rip up twisties, but are there any fun twisties out there that we can explore? Even newbies would enjoy twisties at their own reasonable pace.

Not expecting to rip up twisties, but are there any fun twisties out there that we can explore? Even newbies would enjoy twisties at their own reasonable pace.

We'll take you through some twisty roads by Ontario standards.

Unfortunately, if you've ridden in BC, you won't think they're very twisty at all. But you may still have some fun! :)

hi, female rider here, i will probably be like the slowest rider among everyone...i still wanna join u guys...just got my bike for about 3 weeks..havent been out on the big roads!!??!!...yikes.....this is a good LONG-day run......

Hey I'm in the same boat...errr..... bike as chin.r. I've never rode in a group before and I would enjoy learning how. Not to mention meeting some new people. I have my M1 and completed my M1 exit test so I'm not officially an "M2".

I don't want to dissuade anyone who is brand new to riding from joining in, but please read the description carefully and decide for yourself if you have the necessary skills and experience to join this ride. We will be travelling quite far from the city and if you decide that you are uncomfortable riding at least the speed limit of 80 km/h to a maximum of 100 km/h, we cannot accompany you back to Toronto.

Weather looks good so far, look forward to seeing you on Saturday morning!

Ride level: No 400-series highways, 20 km/h maximum over posted speed limit.
Ride length:
450kms round trip, expect to get back to the 416 around 8PM.
[..]
Important Notes: This is a newbie-friendly ride, however it will be a long day and you'll be spending a lot of time in the seat.
[..]
- Be comfortable riding at least the speed limit. Most of the roads will be signed 80 km/h.

this is turning out to be a nice group ride...

I'm also a M1 rider waiting to turn in my M2 application envelope, been riding for about 3 weeks now.
Went on a previous newbie group ride of about same distance round trip.
Only feedback I can offer those of you w/ similar riding experience is that expect to have a sore wrist/bum afterwards.
Otherwise, you should be fine as long as you're decent with shifting and breaking (or no longer stall).
The first group ride I went on, my gear shifts were rocky at best, but I kept up no problem as we were doing legal speeds and nothing crazy.
I find that the more I ride the smoother everything gets, so don't be discouraged and just practice as much as you can.
You can always decide to break off early if you find it hard to keep up with the group, although I have a feeling that most of us will be ok.

Maybe come early to the morning meeting point to ask any questions of the more experienced riders especially if you don't know how to ride in groups. When I first started riding, I only rode with 1 or 2 close buddies until I felt comfortable handling the bike. A group of close to 20 could be pretty intimidating for a newbie rider...just don't ever feel pressured to go faster to follow the crowd is my advice!

uh oh, weather forecast changed from Cloudy to Chance of thunder- showers.... will check back again before the event....

hopefully this time the forecast is wrong, given how unreliable they are.

Back
Top Bottom