San Francisco police won't be allowed to use lethal robots | GTAMotorcycle.com

San Francisco police won't be allowed to use lethal robots

Jampy00

Site Supporter
In a fictional setting, I could see this being a possible solution to very extreme cases. In reality, it should not even be a consideration. Just one good hacker..
I bet when you watch this you hear the Terminator music playing in your head. 'Dun Dun, Dun Dun Dun"..

In a fictional setting, I could see this being a possible solution to very extreme cases. In reality, it should not even be a consideration. Just one good hacker..
I bet when you watch this you hear the Terminator music playing in your head. 'Dun Dun, Dun Dun Dun"..
It's already been done. IIRC in one of the gay club shootings in the US (florida? pulse?) they drove in a robot with a bomb and blew up the shooter.

Once a competent authority has determined that lethal force is justified, how it is delivered is just mechanics and barely matters (gun, robot, run over with car, etc). As for one good hacker taking over the police robot while it is deployed and the hard power switch is on, that seems barely likely. Much easier to take control of something that is always available. They have the water disruptor on the robots already, if the robot was hacked and went over to someone and shot them with that, it wouldn't be good for a human.

Did you at least hear the Terminator music?

I'm just imagining SFPD taking delivery of a "killer robot" which is just something like a tracked platform with a camera and a conventional gun strapped to it, then clumsily deploying it against a target who pushes it over and takes the gun

I'm just imagining SFPD taking delivery of a "killer robot" which is just something like a tracked platform with a camera and a conventional gun strapped to it, then clumsily deploying it against a target who pushes it over and takes the gun
While the picture shows a gun, cops are asking for mobile bombs. Also a good way to use up the budget at the end of the year. Those robots aren't cheap.

It's already been done. IIRC in one of the gay club shootings in the US (florida? pulse?) they drove in a robot with a bomb and blew up the shooter.

It was in Dallas. The shooter was a sniper picking off police officers.

It was in Dallas. The shooter was a sniper picking off police officers.

There are lots of "What Ifs" so damned if you do and damned if you don't.

In the Dallas incident the shooter was out of control with nothing to lose and in a building with largely drywall construction. A fire fight would put innocents at risk. As McLean put it "I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six." In any violent confrontation there is a high risk of collateral damage.

A gun used as a protective device is a tool. When used to assault, it is a weapon.

Whenever I buy a new tool I look forward to using it to justify the purchase. Why buy a gun if you don't intend to use it?

Hunting, OK. Target shooting, OK. Defending property in Canada, thin ice. Settling arguments, NOT OK. Destructive devices should be last resort, not the first. The American problem.

Police hiring systems are not perfect. Remote weaponry is risky. I wouldn't want someone like Forcillo in charge of a garage door opener.

Back
Top Bottom