Sam I Am | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sam I Am

Sam I am

Hello, My name is Sam and I just got my M1 and i bought a cbr500 and I have been driving it around with no insurance and license plate at night. I did have my M2 course booked but it keeps getting cancelled due to the pandemic.

I learned how to ride from watching youtube videos, however, I dont understand how to downshift properly. When i shift down, the bike jerks and I know im not doing something right and I dont understand rev matching either. If someone could explain this, it would be great.

Thanks,
Sam I am

Last edited:
Watch more YouTube channels, you can learn a lot from the YouTube

Not sure why you would state that about riding at night.
At first I thought you were trolling...!

Do you know how to drive a car with a manual transmission?
Same principle gets carried over to bikes.

Try blipping the throttle to raise the revs a bit before you release the clutch between gears next time when you are practicing in a private parking lot.

I responded to your other threads for the gear change. I would not recommend riding without insurance. If you get into an accident or worse pulled over by the police it will be years of bad news for your driving record.

Either way, welcome!

I'd say perfect downshifting first, then try to rev-match downshift. Rev-matching needs some amount of coordination.

From what you have mentioned I feel you're downshifting when the speed is higher than optimum. Learn where the clutch biting point is, learn to release the clutch smoothly, and also learn the optimum speed range for each gear (1st - 0 to 30 kmph, 2nd - 20 to 50 kmph... etc) and try to be in the right gear at any given speed. The process of downshifting is as simple as bringing the bike to the right speed, disengaging the clutch (pulling the clutch lever in), shifting to a lower gear and releasing the clutch smoothly. As with everything in life, practice is key.

I echo @Evoex's sentiment too, stay safe and welcome to the forum!!

maybe don't drop it more than a gear w/o releasing the clutch

Back
Top Bottom