Safety wire question | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Safety wire question

I thought they strictly didn't allow them. They are a distraction to riders and marshals as they make it look like the rider is dragging hard parts and possibly about to crash. IMO it's somewhat irresponsible to use them at track days because of the distraction it causes.

This has nothing to do with safety wire though. Let's get back on track.

I've never done a track day (not really my thing), but I'm wondering...How many, and which fasteners are drilled and safety wired on a sport bike? None of them on my (street) S1000RR are done. It seems extremely labour-intensive (although I can see the benefit)

Last edited:
You're right, typically none on track bikes, and obviously tracked street bikes. Personally I safety wire my oil filter at a minimum, on any of my bikes (yes, even my street bike). My track bike is about 95% safety wired.

Banjo bolts, caliper bolts, pinch bolts, axles, drain plugs, rad cap, hose clamps, oil filter, some more I'm forgetting

Banjo bolts, caliper bolts, pinch bolts, axles, drain plugs, rad cap, hose clamps, oil filter, some more I'm forgetting

Same plus oil filler cap and rad overflow bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it has liquid behind it or will really suck if it works loose it gets wired. My track bike is fully wired.

Really noon question.. what's a safety wire and what does it do?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Metal wire twisted thru a bolt to keep it from accidentally or vibrating loose. Some tracks in the USA require it and if you're planning on racing in Ontario it is a requirement too.

asytaqy3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My last Pro6 day was Calabogie where I crashed. I got nothin against Pro6, why, do they not like sparky knee sliders? I always have my spares in case they make me change em.

I thought they strictly didn't allow them. They are a distraction to riders and marshals as they make it look like the rider is dragging hard parts and possibly about to crash. IMO it's somewhat irresponsible to use them at track days because of the distraction it causes..

Yes, please don't use them on the track. It is very distracting when riding behind someone using them. Only encountered them once on the track so far and it was driving me bonkers, kept thinking the guy was about to crash.

And back to topic, johnscruiser, you are putting way too much thought into these f'in sprocket nuts. Just use the oem ones, loctite em on and be done with it, lol. Sell your blingy ones and put the money into more tires or more track time, something useful.

Yes, please don't use them on the track. It is very distracting when riding behind someone using them. Only encountered them once on the track so far and it was driving me bonkers, kept thinking the guy was about to crash.

And back to topic, johnscruiser, you are putting way too much thought into these f'in sprocket nuts. Just use the oem ones, loctite em on and be done with it, lol. Sell your blingy ones and put the money into more tires or more track time, something useful.

lmao .. i thought you said you like to be showered in sparks?

Did I not post the pic? I got the Pro-Bolt Bi-Hex Titanium Locking ones, and instead of using anti-seize I gave them a bath in Oil Resistant Blue Loctite 243 (instead of the common 242). They should stay put for a while :)

For you guys not in Toronto looking for pliers or safety wire you could try a car racing shop...off the top of my head I would try CSC racing in Newmarket or Britain West in Brantford..not sure about pricing...I bought my pliers many years ago but would also agree with the earlier post about not buying the Princess Auto tool and make sure the wire is top quality stainless as well...the cheap wire just snaps when you try to install it. There is also a drilling jig that is quite popular with car racers..it allows the bolt or nut to be held at the correct angle for drilling.

My last Pro6 day was Calabogie where I crashed. I got nothin against Pro6, why, do they not like sparky knee sliders? I always have my spares in case they make me change em.
Just in case you haven't figured it out. The rear let go because it was no longer hot. You must accelerate hard, brake hard and corner with some load. That is why superbike pros are not recommended for newer track riders. A good street tire is better.

Back
Top Bottom