Safety Standards/Cert | GTAMotorcycle.com

Safety Standards/Cert

Here's the standard:

(c) no bonded lining shall be thinner than 1.5 millimetres when measured at the thinnest part;
(d) no riveted lining surface shall be closer to the rivet head than the dimension specified by the vehicle manufacturer and in no case shall it be less than 0.8 millimetres;

If there is a groove in the brake pad from the manufacturer then that is typically used as the guage for deciding if the lining is within service limits.

Here's the standard:

(c) no bonded lining shall be thinner than 1.5 millimetres when measured at the thinnest part;
(d) no riveted lining surface shall be closer to the rivet head than the dimension specified by the vehicle manufacturer and in no case shall it be less than 0.8 millimetres;

If there is a groove in the brake pad from the manufacturer then that is typically used as the guage for deciding if the lining is within service limits.

a mechanic isn't going to take the pads out and measure...if it looks low, it won't pass safety

a mechanic isn't going to take the pads out and measure...if it looks low, it won't pass safety

Where did I state the pads are coming out to be measured? With only very rare exceptions I eyeball them. This is why I made reference to the groove in the friction material.

The OP asked for the spec. I provided that and that is what's used to visually inspect the pads.

I think the mechanic spent a total of 5-10 minutes looking at the bike, literally had time to take a piss and he was done, and on to the next vehicle. Should this have not taken more time? I think I spent more than that time examining the brake system making sure everything was fine.

There are several things that they have to check. It doesn't take much time on the bike for a good mechanic.

Back
Top Bottom