Safety certificate in Aurora, ON | GTAMotorcycle.com

Safety certificate in Aurora, ON

Michael0124

Site Supporter
Can anyone suggest a shop in Aurora (close to Bayview and Wellington would be ideal) that can write a certificate? I moved here last summer and don't really know where to go. Canadian Tire out here doesn't do bikes.

I need one for my VFR, hoping to find someone who won't try to gouge me but at the same time not just write it without looking at the bike. I've gone over the bike and don't think it needs anything, but you never know...
Better yet, someone who also won't "notice" it doesn't have side reflectors, didn't get them with the bike and I don't want to buy them.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G965W using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

So do you want a certificate or someone to look over the bike? Sadly, they are barely related. Based on past horror stories I would avoid Suzuki of Newmarket. I think bmw newmarket may be a motorrad dealer. If you dont get it somewhere quickly, expect some wait as we are on the eve of he busiest time of the year.

So do you want a certificate or someone to look over the bike? Sadly, they are barely related. Based on past horror stories I would avoid Suzuki of Newmarket. I think bmw newmarket may be a motorrad dealer. If you dont get it somewhere quickly, expect some wait as we are on the eve of he busiest time of the year.
I want a certificate, but wouldn't mind the tech writing it to actually look it over so I don't feel bad about the cost lol. It'll pass, I'm certain of it but am weary of a shop I am not familiar with. I can bring it somewhere I know but it's a bit of a trek, really just wanted somewhere local.

Thank you for your response

... side reflectors, didn't get them with the bike and I don't want to buy them.
Adhesive back reflective tape is very cheap, can be cut to suit and available at pretty much any automotive store

My understanding is that any certified motorcycle mechanic can provide the inspection service but not auto mechanics, which is probably why CT doesn't offer the service.

My understanding is that any certified motorcycle mechanic can provide the inspection service but not auto mechanics, which is probably why CT doesn't offer the service.
Some CT will have a mechanic on staff who can do the safety (I had one done at the Markham and Sheppard CT years ago). You'd have to call and find out if they can do motorcycle safeties; OP you might be able to find one close-ish to home base.

Great idea about the reflective tape, if it gets called I'll try that.

I called the Bayview location, they said they don't do it there. Would have been great, it's walking distance to my place.

I got one done there a year or 2 ago.The mechanic has to have a motorcycle licence. I guess he moved on. Suzuki of Newmarket is on Woodbine just south of Green Lane. Probably the next closest.

I've found automotive mechanic shops often have a mechanic with a motorcycle endorsement who can do safeties; even places that aren't known for working on bikes. Just call/ask around.

Pretty sure any shop that has the green Ontario safety certificate thingy is legally able to provide a safety to any Ontario pedestrian vehicle.
But I'm also pretty sure the shop owner will be against any mechanic in their shop certifying a motorcycle without knowing anything about motorcycles. The M license required to safety also makes sense as noted above. But if you can't reference it somewhere, this is all heresay!!

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Pretty sure any shop that has the green Ontario safety certificate thingy is legally able to provide a safety to any Ontario pedestrian vehicle.
But I'm also pretty sure the shop owner will be against any mechanic in their shop certifying a motorcycle without knowing anything about motorcycles. The M license required to safety also makes sense as noted above. But if you can't reference it somewhere, this is all heresay!!

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
I am pretty sure you dont need an M license to certify bikes. IIRC, there is something about braking from 5 mph, but that can be done inside of the shop if you have the space.

By law, even a bicycle ridden at night requires the white front fork and red rear fork side reflectors. It was a 20$ fine for bicyclists but they are or have increased it to bring it in line with other vehicles.

The last time I had a safety done the tech doing it told me he didn't have an M license. I had to ride it into the shop for him, which I actually didn't mind. He had his clipboard, took his measurements and checked the tires, brakes etc and it was done.

Having said that, the bike was only 3 years old and had 3800km. Was pretty easy to get through.

The VFR is 10 years old and has 26k on it. I've gone through the bike with the previous owner and it is in amazing condition for its age, doesn't seem like it needs anything for safety, and was obviously well cared for but its still a 10 year old bike. I think I would rather an experienced motorcycle mechanic write the safety for this one, just in case I missed anything and he sees it.

I am pretty sure you dont need an M license to certify bikes. IIRC, there is something about braking from 5 mph, but that can be done inside of the shop if you have the space.

It’s more than 5mph, I think the requirements state 30KPH if I recall correctly.

Previous discussion on the matter made it clear the bike actually had to be ridden under its own power to accomplish the safety by the book, unless you have a big hill nearby and are willing to push it back up after the test, I guess.

To put some closure on this and let anyone else in the area know that might need motorcycle work done, finally found a place to get the safety certificate. Dave's Garage in Aurora. I dealt with Shawn, friendly and honest guy.

Now you never need to do it again,
unless they change the rules again.

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well.

since when does canadian tire not safety bikes?

a regular mechanic can issue safety certificates for bikes too, my mechanic has safetied my cars and bikes.

Back
Top Bottom