RTI weekend... | GTAMotorcycle.com

RTI weekend...

timtek

man oh man... first day on a motorcycle, started a day not knowing much about motorcycles (knowing a material from online sources is different from experience-lessons) and got to the point of being somewhat comfortable in 2nd gear zone on CBR125R.

sub-ing to youtube ppl (mordeth13 and blinkycab, in my case..and there was one more...rebelyel?)
but yea, i thought i was smart enough to ride the bike...i guess my body wasn't hahah.

HOWEVER, i did learn and it was fun :)

my biggest challenge (and common to others too probably) was finding the friction point of the clutch - resulting in consistent stall.
my problem - i was trying to figure it out on a hi-rev-loving CBR...which i just couldn't deal with the throttle, clutch, brake etc....
my solution - i started off with cruiser which have stronger low-end-rpm torque that bites onto the clutch/gear and ...yea...i found it easier to find the friction point and start moving, without stalling.

so after i (my body) figured out all this clutch work, i tried back on CBR....voila. although it wasn't as controllable as my bicycle, it was predictable.

there's one thing i still can't do properly...down shifting. (the lesson we did from 3rd gear to 2ndgear to 1st)...
i get the concept (i've driven manual trans. car before)...but its so different on bike and i couldn't figure it out to work it smoothly ...occasionally i got the "oh that was a nice one" but still difficult lol

(my journal-of-the-day ends here)

so who had fun today? LOL

man oh man... first day on a motorcycle, started a day not knowing much about motorcycles (knowing a material from online sources is different from experience-lessons) and got to the point of being somewhat comfortable in 2nd gear zone on CBR125R.

sub-ing to youtube ppl (mordeth13 and blinkycab, in my case..and there was one more...rebelyel?)
but yea, i thought i was smart enough to ride the bike...i guess my body wasn't hahah.

HOWEVER, i did learn and it was fun :)

my biggest challenge (and common to others too probably) was finding the friction point of the clutch - resulting in consistent stall.
my problem - i was trying to figure it out on a hi-rev-loving CBR...which i just couldn't deal with the throttle, clutch, brake etc....
my solution - i started off with cruiser which have stronger low-end-rpm torque that bites onto the clutch/gear and ...yea...i found it easier to find the friction point and start moving, without stalling.

so after i (my body) figured out all this clutch work, i tried back on CBR....voila. although it wasn't as controllable as my bicycle, it was predictable.

there's one thing i still can't do properly...down shifting. (the lesson we did from 3rd gear to 2ndgear to 1st)...
i get the concept (i've driven manual trans. car before)...but its so different on bike and i couldn't figure it out to work it smoothly ...occasionally i got the "oh that was a nice one" but still difficult lol

(my journal-of-the-day ends here)

so who had fun today? LOL

Down shifting is just using your friction zone again, smoother you are releasing the clutch the smoother the engine braking will be.

Trying out all the different bikes was a blast. I did enjoy giving the cbrs a shot, but I still prefer cruisers.

Down shifting is just using your friction zone again, smoother you are releasing the clutch the smoother the engine braking will be.

Or you don't slip clutch at all, rather you match revs.... And there opens one of the age old arguments. Almost as bad as thin vs. thick chain lube.

It was really fun day. although my wrist is kinda beat up... i hope i can still pull the clutch tmrw hahaha

i wanna try the yellow hyosung GT250 and get the feel for the 250cc engine power, although for the final test, i will go with either cbr125 or honda's standard/naked bike (was it called titan?) ^^

Or you don't slip clutch at all, rather you match revs.... And there opens one of the age old arguments. Almost as bad as thin vs. thick chain lube.

actually a combination of both, the two are not mutually exclusive (unless you are clutchless shifting, but thats another debate), matching engine revs is a slightly advanced technique and helps smooth things out more but you still want to slip the clutch at the same time.

actually a combination of both, the two are not mutually exclusive (unless you are clutchless shifting, but thats another debate), matching engine revs is a slightly advanced technique and helps smooth things out more but you still want to slip the clutch at the same time.

Sure; clutchless (or popping) won't slip but you have to match revs just right, often a little slip is used anyway to smooth it out and that gives you more lee way. I only commented because of your original 'just the same' as when you are launching....

But now I realize we're just introducing complexity into a "New Rider" thread (wasn't really paying enough attention originally) so for that I apologize to original poster. He or she has enough to think about without getting into this and it's really not helpful while learning.

I've found that I picked up the 'concept' of rev matching naturally during my m2 course. We were taught to slow down by braking and then ease the clutch, but I found my ride was a bit jerky still. So I decided to do the opposite of up shifting. I blipped my throttle to bring up my RPM and then eased the clutch. Though, I don't know if this is the proper/best way to slow down, it just felt like the smoothest procedure.

I've found that I picked up the 'concept' of rev matching naturally during my m2 course. We were taught to slow down by braking and then ease the clutch, but I found my ride was a bit jerky still. So I decided to do the opposite of up shifting. I blipped my throttle to bring up my RPM and then eased the clutch. Though, I don't know if this is the proper/best way to slow down, it just felt like the smoothest procedure.

That's the second part of the down shifting lesson (blipping the throttle), it's considered an "advanced" technique and if the class mates are having difficulty with just the basic down shift it may be glossed over to allow more practice time with just plain downshifting. That is the smoothest way, to rev match and slip (gradually release it). Clutchless shifting is another thing advanced technique but it's best to get the hang of the basics as you can really do a number on your engine.

I guess you ended up getting all your gear sorted out eh? lol :)

haha actually, it still was sticky...from 1st to 2nd, i have to rev it well up around 5k rpm for the engine to have its sweet rev sounding for the gear shift to be smooth...for neutral, i have to turn the bike off then find the thing LOL

the downshift part was getting alright...now ONLY IF I HAVE A BIKE OF MY OWN TO PRACTICE! :(

That's the second part of the down shifting lesson (blipping the throttle), it's considered an "advanced" technique and if the class mates are having difficulty with just the basic down shift it may be glossed over to allow more practice time with just plain downshifting. That is the smoothest way, to rev match and slip (gradually release it). Clutchless shifting is another thing advanced technique but it's best to get the hang of the basics as you can really do a number on your engine.

I learned this actually from watching several videos of MotoGP, and other youtubers.... i used to drive stick shift car so i know how the concept works... although it was (and is a little) rough but with practice i'll be able to get it....

one thing i wanna just "complain"...is my sore left hand... i think it's because CBR has sports profile, i lean forward little - transferring my weight all to my hands (but it's mostly to my left hand, because i kinda feeds on throttle so i tried to avoid that)...and now my left hand/palm is like RED lol
but seriously, if i have money, i'd jump for a cbr <3

LOL i uh....knew that... XD

yea, last moment, this really generous dude messaged me saying he has a really old shoei helmet that he'll give for free. so i dove right in for it. :)

and the gardening gloves weren't as bad...the problem was riding under the sun, with leather wrapped around me...felt like sauna inside that i can't do anything about (i take my jacket off = i get off bike == i don't like that ) lol

thanks for the concerns ;)

LOL i uh....knew that... XD

yea, last moment, this really generous dude messaged me saying he has a really old shoei helmet that he'll give for free. so i dove right in for it. :)

and the gardening gloves weren't as bad...the problem was riding under the sun, with leather wrapped around me...felt like sauna inside that i can't do anything about (i take my jacket off = i get off bike == i don't like that ) lol

thanks for the concerns ;)

while not part of the preferred gear a denim jacket is ok for all the motorcycle courses I know about... how ever it will protect you as much as denim.. when I did my course a few years back I rode to the course in my armored leather, took it off and put on a denim jacket because it was going to be about 40 degrees that day and i'd rather risk some bruising than heat stroke.

yea, i was kinda jealous of the ppl w/ denim jacket or the riding jacket with air pocket thingy....

today was supposed to be thunderstorm but instead sun + blue sky showed up ....lol

lol true... and now...

i'm glad i wasn't drenching in water during my test... good thing. we had wet condition, dry condition, and bit of sandy condition today :)

Back
Top Bottom