Route to Sudbury from GTA | GTAMotorcycle.com

Route to Sudbury from GTA

sajjadhuq

All - wondering if anyone has a good scenic route from the GTA to Sudbury. Planning on staying one night so recommendations on where to stay would be greatly appreciated too. Thanks!

Depends how long of a ride you want it to be IMO. If it were up to me and I had the whole day to kill I'd get the f out of the GTA at first light to north of Lake Simcoe (400 or 12 up whatever is quickest). Have a break and a good meal somewhere between Orillia and Bracebridge. Then spend most of the day exploring the area around 169, 118W, 141, 518 before heading to Sudbury when I feel like calling it a day.

use Google maps and check off the avoid highways and avoid toll roads options...then play around with the route...you say GTA, but that's a wide area...are you in the west end or east end?...as bastak said, how long of a day do you want/are comfortable with?...as for hotels, there's tons in Sudbury, just depends on what your budget is...try trivago or Google maps (type in Sudbury, then do a search for hotels)

Depends how long of a ride you want it to be IMO. If it were up to me and I had the whole day to kill I'd get the f out of the GTA at first light to north of Lake Simcoe (400 or 12 up whatever is quickest). Have a break and a good meal somewhere between Orillia and Bracebridge. Then spend most of the day exploring the area around 169, 118W, 141, 518 before heading to Sudbury when I feel like calling it a day.
I don't know what's up there, but depending on how long they are looking to ride, an alternate plan is high speed to Sudbury and then spend the day riding up there. It's not often you switch to a home base a few hours away and it is easy to pickup the good roads you mentioned as a day trip from TO. Those north of sudbury will probably never get a visit unless you can combine them with the hotel.

When heading far north, the good roads (I've bolded them below) typically span between Hwy 400 and Hwy 11. Depending on where you start (400 or 11) there are a few roads in the south you can try.

If you are heading up 400, you can hit up Upper Big Chute Rd (17) which starts at Coldwater. At Severn Falls, it turns back onto 400 just south of Six Mile Lake Provincial Park. Then go further north on 400 to Bala Road (38) which is a nice road that takes you to 169. Go north till you hit 118 and then head east towards Port Carling.

If you heading up Hwy 11, there are two roads I usually ride, either Southwood 13 north of Severn Bridge (very scenic, but with some sketchy pavement, can get a bit sandy in some corners), or a bit further at Bracebridge, you can take 118 West to Port Carling. This road is smooth pavement with nice 80 km/h sweepers.

All these routes above will take you to 7 (Peninsula Road) which becomes 632 to Rosseau. This is one of my favorite roads in the area. Then head back on 141 to the 400 to Hwy 518 (Swords Road) through Orrville. Once you reach Hwy 11 you ride a bit further to Burks Falls and take 520 to Magnetawan and then 124 back to Parry Sound at Hwy 400. Then straight up to Sudbury.

use Google maps and check off the avoid highways and avoid toll roads options...then play around with the route...you say GTA, but that's a wide area...are you in the west end or east end?...as bastak said, how long of a day do you want/are comfortable with?...as for hotels, there's tons in Sudbury, just depends on what your budget is...try trivago or Google maps (type in Sudbury, then do a search for hotels)

I'm in the westend/Mississauga. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sounds good. Thanks!

When heading far north, the good roads (I've bolded them below) typically span between Hwy 400 and Hwy 11. Depending on where you start (400 or 11) there are a few roads in the south you can try.

If you are heading up 400, you can hit up Upper Big Chute Rd (17) which starts at Coldwater. At Severn Falls, it turns back onto 400 just south of Six Mile Lake Provincial Park. Then go further north on 400 to Bala Road (38) which is a nice road that takes you to 169. Go north till you hit 118 and then head east towards Port Carling.

If you heading up Hwy 11, there are two roads I usually ride, either Southwood 13 north of Severn Bridge (very scenic, but with some sketchy pavement, can get a bit sandy in some corners), or a bit further at Bracebridge, you can take 118 West to Port Carling. This road is smooth pavement with nice 80 km/h sweepers.

All these routes above will take you to 7 (Peninsula Road) which becomes 632 to Rosseau. This is one of my favorite roads in the area. Then head back on 141 to the 400 to Hwy 518 (Swords Road) through Orrville. Once you reach Hwy 11 you ride a bit further to Burks Falls and take 520 to Magnetawan and then 124 back to Parry Sound at Hwy 400. Then straight up to Sudbury.
Awesome!

If you need to take a break (cool down and washroom). French River Visitor Centre. about 50 min south of Sudbury on the 400. Call ahead to find out hours of operation.

Starbucks and a nice place to sit on the Southern Parry Sound exit ...I usually get fuel there as well.

One exit north and a short ride east ( I think ) some excellent fish & chip - pickerel and white fish.

This is a great route.
If you have time stop at the Screaming Heads in Midlothian which is off the 520 just west of Burks Falls. You could also add in the Bunny Trail which is west of Magnetewan off the 520 as well as the McDougall/Hurdville roads combo Which are off the 124 before heading north up the 400. Overall that would be about a 9-10 hour route of pure awesomeness.

I like the route up above Algonquin park, but that's way out of your way. I think I have stayed in almost every campground in Sudbury :| and several motels. There used to be a lot of real good trials events held up that way.
The road up to Fairbank Provincial Park is really tight and twisty with some good elevation change, that's a fun ride.
The municipal parks are very cheap, and the KOA is run by a very cool native Indian guy.

Back
Top Bottom