Route to Deals Gap via BC and Cali | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Route to Deals Gap via BC and Cali

Is the specific inclusion of Ozark due to a liking of the TV show, out of curiosity? ;)

A few years ago I was looking for somewhere to go instead of Deals Gap and was suggested to go to the Ozarks. Whether or not there will be the same level of technical roads I'm not sure, but on more than a few occasions I've been told it's a great area to ride.

Last edited:
Cool. It's never been on my radar so I'll keep it in mind.

I do really like the show though as well however. ;)

this southern portion is looking a lot more interesting

OiKyzEZ.jpg

I like the southern route better than the northern. Anyway you can ship the bike out to Rockies and start there?
Some advice. Don't even attempt to go through I80/I94 in the chicago area during business hours unless it's a weekend. You'll waste a good 2 hours pissing around.
Wyoming is famous for wind warnings. Winds are strong enough to blow over empty transport trucks. If there is a wind warning on that electronic sign, call it a day and wait it out.

I don't mind the ride out west - I want to do the ride and experience it. Maybe in some years down the road I'll do trips where I ship my bike somewhere, but I'm not there yet.

Thanks for the reminder about the high winds and I've read of many riders saying some of the winds across the Midwest can be really intense and draining. I cross my fingers and hope I get lucky.

I've already been thinking about what to do about timing Chicago. Right now I think I will leave home around 6am on Saturday morning and find a place to crash west of Chicago, so even if I get slowed down by it, then I don't have much further to go that day. If I don't get slowed down by it, I can get an easy first day in and be well rested for the next day, or I can try to go as far west of Chicago as I can in that first day. I know that the second day will be a longer day to get me as close to The Black Hills.

Shipping the bike won't be possible for a while, at least not through Air Canada. I got some qoutes to send it out to Calgary/BC by truck, and they we're similar to Air Canada, add your air fare (which will be very high now), and it's not a feasible option, at least for the next few months imo

Last edited:
Shipping the bike own't be possible for a while, at least not through Air Canada.
Why? Do you have confirmation that Air Canada is not doing the Fly Your Bike program now?

Ok. Thanks. Guess our planed July trip out west is officially off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends how long you planned on going, can still rent a bike there and do your ride

Mountains will be there next year. These are first world problems. Others have real ones.

Ok. Thanks. Guess our planed July trip out west is officially off.
emoji853.png
Bet you can get a cheap truck run and pretty sure flights are running and cheap
Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at May, 18    2020    1.31.02 AM.jpg

Possible Westjet might be shipping motorcycles.
Motorcycle Express
Phone (800) 245-8726 (within US/Canada)
Phone (516) 682-9220

Last edited:
Some wonderful riding in the Ozarks.
Eureka Spring AR is a pretty heavy riding area with some great little spots to eat and sleep and such.
I'll prolly see you when you get to Deals Gap :)

Reactions: J_F
I watched a video taped on Saturday May 16th and everything in Gatlinburg / Pigion Forge is back up and running.
Amusement parks / Bars and restaurants and stores are all open.
Downtown Gatlinburg is a 4 lane road...they have changed this to a 2 lane to make the sidewalks extra wide.
Hopefully this is a sign moving in the right direction.

everything in Gatlinburg / Pigion Forge is back up and running.
Amusement parks / Bars and restaurants and stores are all open.

The lackadaisical "this was all a big sham, it's just the flu and almost nobody gets it anyways!" approach in many places across the USA right now is one of the biggest reasons I'm probably not going to go to the states this summer even if the border does open up. I hope I'm wrong, but just...wow....I think they're going to be in for a world of hurt in the coming weeks when the Covid numbers go stratospheric and the hospitals, especially in little podunk places get overwhelmed.

Anyhow, on the topic of getting your bike to point B if you don't want to ride, things like U-Ship are probably offering some good deals right now since freight volumes are down, so a bidding based outfit like U-Ship is probably offering some great rates.

sadly ^ I agree

the total numbers nation wide in the US are declining
only because the initial metropolitan infection regions have controlled it
outside of those areas, the numbers are up everywhere else

I really wanted to do a 3-4 week trip south this summer
PCH or the Keys via the Appalachians
will wait until next year and stay local this summer

If I do travel to the USA this summer if & when the border opens up I'll be treating it like everyone and every surface is infected. Camping everywhere, no hotels/motels. Drivethrough food...nothing that even requires going inside a building unless to use a bathroom, and even then, pissing on the side of the road or in the woods somewhere is a better option.

And realistically when any Canadian who's travelled to the USA returns you'll probably be subject to the 14 day quarantine...so that 2-3 day ride to ride some "good roads" turns into a 2 week staycation locked up at home after you return. Not worth it.

Back
Top Bottom