Rotella Dino 15W-40 on Sale at CT | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rotella Dino 15W-40 on Sale at CT

the Lancaster with Rolls Merlin engines runs an SAE 50 oil, its pretty specific made by some company called Morris. A rebuild is well over 150k US per engine, and the only company left in NA that can do t is in Cali.

SAE 50 would be Shell Rimula.

"It's a very high quality oil..."

No it isn't. Rotella is CHEAP oil. The ONLY reason to run Rotella oil in a motorcycle is because it is the cheapest oil available, that is close to "spec" for some motorcycles.
It is funny that all you people recommend Shell Rotella oil for motorcycles. If you ask Shell. the people that make Rotella oil, they will tell you NOT to use it in a motorcycle.
Rotella T4 got reformulated a couple of years ago, and it DOES NOT contain higher levels of ZDDP anymore. It is not "Diesel" oil anymore, Rotella is sold as "Fleet" oil now.

1) Rotella T4 has only ever existed in its current formulation. The earlier dino 15w40 Rotellas were simply "Rotella T"

2) It is technically true that when comparing CK-4/CJ-4 to CI-4, that phosphorus limits were added. However none of the wear specs were backed down to "accommodate" this. Also, when comparing "true" motorcycle oil (which will be JASO-MA/MA1/MA2 + a rating like API S something), you have to go all the way down to API-SH to find an oil standard that just matches the phosphorus limit in CK-4, all later standards have a lower limit.

I've been meaning to reply to this for a few days to clarify that Rotella IS actually a quality oil...but looks like everyone else beat me to it.

And yes, the biggest reason it was "not recommended" for motorcycles in it's high ZDDP formulation was because it poisoned catalysts due to such. It was most certainly not for any other reason - to the contrary, small engines especially benefit from high zinc levels - there's a reason racing oils, for example, have very high zinc ratings.

Is called thermal heat transfer.

More to do with wear on bearing surfaces.

Racing Oil FAQ - Valvoline®

This is one of the biggest reasons I've been a fan of Rotella in small engines ...and other things like boat engines, etc, where emissions controls are irrelevant.

What is called thermal transfer?
Was in response to the purpose of introducing heavy metal elements into your motor oil.
My understating was that materials introduced into the oil in suspension that absorb heat better, makes your engine oil hotter and the hot spots in the engine run cooler. Then you hopefully cool the intensely hot oil somewhere or dissipate the heat into a larger volume.

But, the diesel mechanic who taught me that is dead now and he's the same who told me the T in Rosella T stood for tungsten additives :|
... what we need here is one of those lab techs that work down in the Oakville plant to clarify.

was going to get a butt load of this oil while it was on-sale
thank God I read the reviews first, this shite is to be avoided!!

This oil was used for our skid steer and it says you can reuse
the container for your old oil but we found it wouldn't pour
in fast enough and we got oil all over the driveway.

dodged a bullet there, thanks Canadian Tire!

edit: it couldn't be, no...could it??

250qdDt.jpg

Back
Top Bottom