Roads to/from Deals Gap! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Roads to/from Deals Gap!

Ya...i was sure I had one more :)

IMG-20141020-124414.jpg

Nice pic - that's so awesome:)

And I really like Ohio too. For me that's a separate trip on it's own - maybe better suited to a long weekend. Last time I was there I stayed in Marietta and used that as a base to explore the squiggly lines around it and loved it. I've been on the 26, 145 & 550, but didn't ride the triple nickel. Next time!
After riding to the top of triple nickel head west about 40km to the AMA Hall of Fame. Pretty cool museum.

Okay I was looking back at some previous trips and there's a few things you could add in if this is your kind of thing.
When you get to West Virginia you can ride down to the bottom of the New River Gorge Bridge.
It's a beautiful area and it's great for taking pictures.
Also Cooper Rock State Park.
It has a beautiful overlook and it's a great place to have a Subway lunch.
In and around the New River Gorge Bridge is Babcock State Park which is pretty famous for taking pictures of the Glade Creek Grist Mill.
If you're looking for lunch I recommend Paint Bank.
It's in Virginia at The Swinging Bridge store.
If waterfalls are your thing on the 220 near Falling Spring is the Falling Spring Falls.
Years ago you asked me to check out a road in a little town called Nebo Virginia.
The road is the 622 it's worth checking out

Okay I was looking back at some previous trips and there's a few things you could add in if this is your kind of thing.
When you get to West Virginia you can ride down to the bottom of the New River Gorge Bridge.
It's a beautiful area and it's great for taking pictures.
Also Cooper Rock State Park.
It has a beautiful overlook and it's a great place to have a Subway lunch.
In and around the New River Gorge Bridge is Babcock State Park which is pretty famous for taking pictures of the Glade Creek Grist Mill.
If you're looking for lunch I recommend Paint Bank.
It's in Virginia at The Swinging Bridge store.
If waterfalls are your thing on the 220 near Falling Spring is the Falling Spring Falls.
Years ago you asked me to check out a road in a little town called Nebo Virginia.
The road is the 622 it's worth checking out
If you're at the New River Gorge consider these. We've done Thurmond and Nuttalburg - Both good. Also the best veiw of the NRG bridge is from the old bridge at the bottom of the gorge.

If you're at the New River Gorge consider these. We've done Thurmond and Nuttalburg - Both good. Also the best veiw of the NRG bridge is from the old bridge at the bottom of the gorge.
Thanks I remember you mentioning this in another thread about the area. I've been there a few times, but never down below, so hopefully I can check it out this time.

Last edited:
The road to Nuttalburg is not great, but if I can do 2up on Wing you're good.

The America Rides Maps I bought came in and I've been taking a look at them. There's some super twisty bits to ride that I have never been on before, which I hope to check out. The best part is that leading to every amazing road are endless roads that are also very, very good.

Around the Boone NC area, there are some insanely fun roads. I've passed through Boone many times, but always riding the more common routes like the Blue Ridge Parkway, US421, NC226A or the US221 and so on. However, all of these roads below I've never been on before and the maps describe many of these as incredibly steep and twisty. It takes quite a while to connect all the best ones together and then they sort of look like this:
1645364179114.png

I'm also looking for crazy views along the twistiest roads the areas have to offer. Here is one awesome loop up Skyuka Mountain, which might be one of the more challenging roads in the entire area south of Asheville with a nice waterfall break and some impressive views: Columbus Township to Shunkawauken Falls
1645362452291.png

This next one is Double Island Road. It's on the north side of the Blue Ridge Parkway and I've been on all the roads around this road, but not this one specifically. The maps describe this one as the most challenging road in the entire area, which is saying a lot considering the caliber of stuff nearby: 135 Double Island Rd to Brush Creek Township
1645363101133.png

When is this snow going to melt?

That trip is sounding better all the time. Are you looking for any company?

That trip is sounding better all the time. Are you looking for any company?
Sure - I'm open to anyone joining if they can handle the long days of relentless challenging roads at a spirited pace. I'll be taking the VStrom, so it will be whatever pace that bike can handle, but I'm definitely not trying to get tickets or anything:)

I'll be doing motels each night to avoid bringing a bunch of gear as well. When down at the IronHorse Motorcycle Lodge, I already have a covered wagon booked - there's 12 others so far from Ontario riding down for the VStrom event, but I think they are all taking the faster route there - not totally sure yet. I'm taking the scenic 4-5 days to get down.

I need street rubber for that ride. No doubt there will be slabbing on the way down and back. Are you much above 120kph?

I'll keep an eye on this thread...

Yeah definitely would need street rubber for it. Last trip I did down there I barely made it home on my rear tire - it only lasted around 6-7k total when I usually get around 18k, so I might plan to do a rear swap at Wheelers before heading back home. Those roads are hard on tires when moving at a good pace!

Pace for me is generally 120 on highways and then whatever is appropriate for the secondary roads.

Sure - I'm open to anyone joining if they can handle the long days of relentless challenging roads at a spirited pace. I'll be taking the VStrom, so it will be whatever pace that bike can handle, but I'm definitely not trying to get tickets or anything:)

I'll be doing motels each night to avoid bringing a bunch of gear as well. When down at the IronHorse Motorcycle Lodge, I already have a covered wagon booked - there's 12 others so far from Ontario riding down for the VStrom event, but I think they are all taking the faster route there - not totally sure yet. I'm taking the scenic 4-5 days to get down.
How do you plan you motel reservations? Plan/book ahead or just find a spot when night starts creeping in?
I am such a worry wart!

How do you plan you motel reservations? Plan/book ahead or just find a spot when night starts creeping in?
I am such a worry wart!
I usually choose Super 8 motels, for their free bland breakfast, spotty wifi and often ground floor units in front of my bike.

This trip I have them all situated along the route and try to get there based on a 10hr day. If I get there early, then I can just chill out or drop my gear and head back out for a short ride on a nearby twisty loop.

I’ve done trips before where I only choose a place to stay each day around 4pm, knowing where I expect to be at 6-7pm and it’s always worked out fine.

I am such a worry wart!

We only book accommodations in advance if it's a holiday or a summer weekend. Otherwise, we'll bookmark 2 or 3 motels in the area where we think we'll stop for the evening. Then keep their address in the smartphone/GPS, and then just pull up for the night to see if they're available. Chances are one will be vacant. You also have to be aware of all the local events as well (if there's a music festival in town that week, etc).

We'll also bookmark 1 motel a bit closer on the route and 1 a bit further for "stretch goals". That way we're not tied to a fixed destination. If we want to ride further or quit riding a bit earlier, then we're free to do so.

Shane? When in the spring are you leaving?
If there's room, I'd be interested.

I am such a worry wart!
When the Squeeze and I tour we just start looking for a motel about 5ish. Without a phone or gps we had no idea where they were and would sometimes have to move on to the next town.
Always found a place to sleep. (can't be too bad she's still keen for more touring)

Shane? When in the spring are you leaving?
If there's room, I'd be interested.
The event at Ironhorse is between May 12-15. So I’d probably leave here on the 8th or 9th and return on the 15th or 16th. I’m not totally fixed in dates or an itinerary right now. I just know I’m going and want to explore a lot of new stuff on the way down.

There is room to come with me heading down. I know the Ironhorse is filling up quick right now so not sure if there will be places left there, but lots of other local accommodations of course.

Not sure what the riding plan are while down there since there will be around 50 others, but I’m also open to leading rides while there as well.

Envious of you guys going this season.

Great feedback in this thread.

I am planning to trailer down the bikes with some friends 2023/24 season, airb&b a house and enjoy the area.

Novice riders at best, so prefer the less popular routes. Thats not to say that we wont visit the tail.

Back
Top Bottom