RIM boys step down. | GTAMotorcycle.com

RIM boys step down.

I bought some shares of RIM about a month ago with the intention of selling them by now... but recently decided to hold onto them and see what happens...

I bought some shares of RIM about a month ago with the intention of selling them by now... but recently decided to hold onto them and see what happens...

I was thinking about this on the way to work today..which way it might go. On the one hand, they have a large, established legacy base of users, many corporate. You might think this is a big asset. However, at the corporation I work at, with probably 300-500 users, many are now having their iPhone or Android phone for corporate use using various methods to sync e-mail and calendar items. So I'm not sure that base of users is unassailable.

Yeah, they'll likely get bought out..hopefully that means the share price gets a good return for you guys. Things are moving fast though..they could go to zero in a matter of months..

..they could go to zero in a matter of months..

RIM is still a profitable company, has no debt, 75 million subscribers, a library of patents and nearly a billion dollars in the bank... I don't like to say definitive things like "thats impossible" because in this world, anything is possible but I'd say its incredibly unlikely that RIM goes to zero or even sub $10 without some incredible negative catalyst. Despite the comparisons, this is nothing like Nortel.

In December, a lot of folks did tax loss selling and RIM was the perfect candidate for that and so the stock was punished but since then RIM has rebounded quite a bit.

RIM could go either way but I think the odds of more upside outweigh the odds for further decline at this juncture.

RIM is still a profitable company, has no debt, 75 million subscribers, a library of patents and nearly a billion dollars in the bank... I don't like to say definitive things like "thats impossible" because in this world, anything is possible but I'd say its incredibly unlikely that RIM goes to zero or even sub $10 without some incredible negative catalyst. Despite the comparisons, this is nothing like Nortel.

In December, a lot of folks did tax loss selling and RIM was the perfect candidate for that and so the stock was punished but since then RIM has rebounded quite a bit.

RIM could go either way but I think the odds of more upside outweigh the odds for further decline at this juncture.

exactly. someone is going to look at rim and see a strong buy and a serious opportunity. they could be turned around in short order. mind you, in their field, a year or two is a lifetime.

that being said, i dropped blackberry for android in the fall, and couldn't be happier. . .

will be interesting to see what happens... anyone wanna start a pool?

j/k

I'm sure a lot of people hope you're correct! :) I am more skeptical though. Like I say, even in my reactionary corporation, I see their user base being eroded. And people are choosing to forego a free, corporate Blackberry in favour of their personal smartphone. I mean, they had better do something better than Samsung or Apple if they hope to continue..or maybe they just get bought out. I suppose they won't be so brash about getting an NHL team now..

You're braver than I am. I've vowed to not touch that stock with a ten foot pole. Too risky to buy, too risky to short, gone too far down already to buy put options on it, no dividend. The stock market did not like yesterday's move. It's at $15.65 right now, down $1.59 on the day.

You're braver than I am. I've vowed to not touch that stock with a ten foot pole. Too risky to buy, too risky to short, gone too far down already to buy put options on it, no dividend. The stock market did not like yesterday's move. It's at $15.65 right now, down $1.59 on the day.

I took 3/4 of my initial back earlier today. I will probably buy again...

I won't lose, but sure did see profit go down this am...

famous last words........

I took 3/4 of my initial back earlier today. I will probably buy again...

should have added 75% on the dip.......now you've lost.

You're not alone trading emotionally..........Although I watched Level II all day, I didn't have the balls to pull the trigger on TXN, and they beat, and are up 4% after hrs :-(

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/23/rim-new-ceo-thorsten-heins-still-in-trouble/

Before being given the CEO badge, he served as Chief Operating Officer, Product Engineering, overseeing the BlackBerry smartphone portfolio worldwide. Digest that for a moment -- this is the guy who oversaw the same BlackBerry smartphone platform that the entire North American (and beyond) consumer base has been lambasting for being so last decade. This guy not only had a hand in pushing out countless lackluster phones over the past five years, but he was at the top of it. He had plenty of power to make changes -- radical or subtle -- in what was coming out of Waterloo, and so far as I can tell, he didn't. Color me jaded, but I have a hard time believing that the man in charge of some of the most forgettable BlackBerry handsets in recent memory will suddenly put RIM in a position to compete with and / or dominate the likes of iOS, Android and Windows Phone.

The boys club stepped over, not out. Still will have a ton of swing with the stock they own. Bassillie is still on the board and Laz is still developement chair or some such title.
The market needs those two at the cottage for the next three years.

I bought stock late in the day, at what i hope is the bottom. If playbook 11 at the end of march isn't a total cluster romp there may be a rebound of sorts, or a large buyout. Its cash I'm willing to gamble.

The quote above is exactly why the stock market didn't like this move.

Something needed to be done ... this wasn't it.

famous last words........

should have added 75% on the dip.......now you've lost.

You're not alone trading emotionally..........Although I watched Level II all day, I didn't have the balls to pull the trigger on TXN, and they beat, and are up 4% after hrs :-(

PM'd.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom