Right of way, Wrong? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Right of way, Wrong?

LOL. From the article: If the intersection is so busy that you can’t get in to make a turn, “you should not be turning left there at a busy time of day,” DiCicco said. “That’s usually where they end up putting in roundabouts and all-way stops.”

Sometimes you don't have a choice, unless he's advocating for making a right followed by a U-turn.
Going to the cottage the 'trickiest' intersection is crossing Airport Rd when on Hockley. 2 stop signs, with a 80kph road going North - South.

Not an issue in the colder months. But in the summer...I try to avoid that spot and will take Hwy9 from 10 to Airport Rd simply because it gets so busy you can spend 10min waiting for a safe time.

That's how I treat it. Same as you. The person heading S should not be stopping and doesn't know the law. I see it all the time where people are seeing a mysterious stop sign that isn't there. I usually wave them through while trying to point like "why are you stopping? There's no stop sign for you.".
He said there's stop signs for north-south traffic, so yeah he should be stopping...

Before I start getting into grief can you show me where that is in the HTA? Where's @GreyGhost when you need him.
If I were home sure.

But I’m operating on 1 wifi bar here in paradise. Takes me over 30 seconds to load a non graphic web page.

Wonder how long this pic will take to upload, I’ll just leave it and hope it posts soon. 😎

IMG_8221.jpeg

Before I start getting into grief can you show me where that is in the HTA? Where's @GreyGhost when you need him.
http://www.ontario.ca/fr/lois/loi/90h08

Stop at through highway​

136 (1) Every driver or street car operator approaching a stop sign at an intersection,

(a) shall stop his or her vehicle or street car at a marked stop line or, if none, then immediately before entering the nearest crosswalk or, if none, then immediately before entering the intersection; and

(b) shall yield the right of way to traffic in the intersection or approaching the intersection on another highway so closely that to proceed would constitute an immediate hazard and, having so yielded the right of way, may proceed. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 136 (1).

Acquiring right of way​

(2) Every driver or street car operator approaching, on another highway, an intersection referred to in subsection (1), shall yield the right of way to every driver or operator who has complied with the requirements of subsection (1). R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 136 (2).

'ROW' goes to the one who first completes the stop.

LOL. From the article: If the intersection is so busy that you can’t get in to make a turn, “you should not be turning left there at a busy time of day,” DiCicco said. “That’s usually where they end up putting in roundabouts and all-way stops.”

Sometimes you don't have a choice, unless he's advocating for making a right followed by a U-turn.
Or a straight followed by a u-turn. Some intersections at certain times of day just aren't conducive to left hand turns.

If you both get there at the same time, then the straight through or right turn goes before the left turn.

Both can do it simultaneously.*

*based on both drivers being reasonably competent. GTA rules in effect.

Both can do it simultaneously.*

*based on both drivers being reasonably competent. GTA rules in effect.
Ever been to Ottawa? Lines do not matter here, just look at the way people park.
Also, if you're both going into the same lane, there may be an issue in doing it simultaneously.

The intersection here in Welcome (north of Port Hope) on Hwy. 2 at County Rd 10 is a 3 way stop. If you're heading eastbound on Hwy 2 you don't have to stop, but you do if you're northbound/southbound on #10 or westbound on Dale Rd which becomes Hwy. 2 on the west side of the intersection.

It's not ideal to say the least.

Locals are familiar enough, but in the summer months when there's lots of out-of-towners it can be dangerous. If I'm heading east on/to Dale Rd. I NEVER assume that the others at the intersection are aware that I don't have to stop. It's a place where you're nearly guaranteed to have a butt-clenching close call, particularly when they close the 401.

The intersection here in Welcome (north of Port Hope) on Hwy. 2 at County Rd 10 is a 3 way stop. If you're heading eastbound on Hwy 2 you don't have to stop, but you do if you're northbound/southbound on #10 or westbound on Dale Rd which becomes Hwy. 2 on the west side of the intersection.

Locals are familiar enough, but in the summer months when there's lots of out-of-towners it can be dangerous. If I'm heading east on/to Dale Rd. I NEVER assume that the others at the intersection are aware that I don't have to stop. It's a place where you're nearly guaranteed to have a butt-clenching close call, particularly when they close the 401.
Many plaza entrances and roads near plazas are like that, one direction doesn't have to stop or yield to the other three.
Some times it comes as a loud surprise to drivers.

The good thing about that intersection is that it's a fairly large open space with good visibility. More time to see and react accordingly.

I wonder if this rule has changed. Many drivers going straight thru seem to believe they have the ROW over left turners. Is this a possible hangover from a law that was changed?

I wonder if this rule has changed. Many drivers going straight thru seem to believe they have the ROW over left turners. Is this a possible hangover from a law that was changed?
Afaik, it has always been the first one stopped has ROW. Now, 90% of drivers either do not know or dngaf about ROW rules.

Likely because drivers are largely taught that at intersections left turners have to give way to everyone else. I suspect they are not making the distinction between a 4/3/2 way stop and a classic intersection.

Likely because drivers are largely taught that at intersections left turners have to give way to everyone else. I suspect they are not making the distinction between a 4/3/2 way stop and a classic intersection.

Why would there be a difference? If there is no cross traffic due to lack of volume or a red light for the E-W drivers wouldn't the situation be the same for the N-S drivers. Left turning vehicle yields to straight through, traffic light or stop sign.

What if the faster vehicle is the smaller one? I thought moms in big SUV's always had the right of way?
Only if said Mom has a rear sticker saying "baby on board"

Why would there be a difference? If there is no cross traffic due to lack of volume or a red light for the E-W drivers wouldn't the situation be the same for the N-S drivers. Left turning vehicle yields to straight through, traffic light or stop sign.
No, because if you and I stopped at opposing stop signs, priority is given to whoever stopped first is provided right of way. Straight/turning should not be considered.

Back
Top Bottom