Riding in shorts yes or no??? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding in shorts yes or no???

chingo

It was hot today, a man passed me on a harley with only shorts and sandles on. I wondered if he thought he had the luck of the gods and that he would reach his destination without mishap. Now this was extreme on a highway, but i've seen all kinds of people on all kinds of bikes with shorts and tshirts only. So I guess we could say to each his own.

Im from india, this is light work.
Atgat all day

I'll ride around town in shorts and a tee in weather like this - always wear shoes and gloves. I'm not getting to speeds any faster thsn a cyclist.

Highways are a different story. I'm fortunate that do far I've never come off a road motorcycle, I'm also smart enough to know that means nothing.

Days like today are tough commuting. 36C on the thermometer, helmet, gloves, jeans and a riding jacket gets pretty hot in rush hour traffic.

Been a long time since I did QEW from St Catharines to Fort Erie with no shoes no shirt, no helmet - sun glasses and swim trunks only :eek:...late 60s different ....times.

These days skin cancer is a thing from sunburn and I worry about my knees riding the eBike. Figure next to hands and head they are most vulnerable.
There is a lot of flying junk out there on 4 series - even here in ShangraLa there trucks throwing junk off at 110 kph and that hurts too.
See everything here from sandals and shorts and Tee plus helmet to full attgat tho upper body attgat with shorts and runners seem to be the trend 🤪
I go in and out of thinking I'm "overdressed" with full gear when it gets hot to "I really don't want to end my riding with a stupid fall" ....did that already off pavement and still paying for it 8 years later with a bad shoulder.

Statistically only 1/3 of riders have a serious accident over a lifetime and I'm still in the 2/3 cohort after 50+ years despite best efforts earlier on ...:rolleyes:
I don't count winter and off pavement come offs.

Last edited:
It was hot today, a man passed me on a harley with only shorts and sandles on. I wondered if he thought he had the luck of the gods and that he would reach his destination without mishap. Now this was extreme on a highway, but i've seen all kinds of people on all kinds of bikes with shorts and tshirts only. So I guess we could say to each his own.
I always wear pants. I have had mesh pants burn through and leave a pretty big hole in my leg(pad slid to the side). Ideally, I would have mesh pants with leather around the joints.

I've crashed a bicycle on asphalt at ~40 km/h. I have no interest in sliding unprotected at double those speeds.

If someone wants to wear shorts, I wish them the best. Doesn't affect me, they can do what they want.

Last edited:
No.
I have heavy cordura that zip down to mesh on the thighs. Once you're moving they're like wearing shorts.

I always wear pants. I have had mesh pants burn through and leave a pretty big hole in my leg(pad slid to the side). Ideally, I would have mesh pants with leather around the joints.

I've crashed a bicycle on asphalt at ~40 km/h. I have no interest in sliding unprotected at double those speeds.

If someone wants to wear shorts, I wish them the best. Doesn't affect me, they can do what they want.
Fortunately I've never tested any of my gear, alway glad to have others do that for me.

One does need to be careful, full gear and extremely hot conditions reduce responsiveness and increasing discomfort helps to reduce focus. I have seen fellow riders go "crazy from the heat".

I wear nitrile gloves if I'm on the bicycle and I normally wear long sleeves and pants outdoors. I've had enough sun spots taken off my face already.

On hot days out riding I hear people say "It must be cool." No. It's like sitting in front of a heat gun.

One reason I bought a white jacket and white helmet ...tropical sun is brutal. The HWK jacket is always cool when moving due to clever air flow channels if I keep my cuffs open.
I have a pair lighter HWK riding pants that are quite cool with decent mesh panels. Not made any more. Mix of mesh and cordura. I'll wear them again when it warms up.
My heavier HWK are nice now in mid 20s
I had a pair of Airglide 3 mesh pants I quite liked.
Soaking your shirt then riding works for a while.

QLD allows filtering which REALLLLLLY helps on hot days. (y)

One does need to be careful, full gear and extremely hot conditions reduce responsiveness and increasing discomfort helps to reduce focus. I have seen fellow riders go "crazy from the heat".
There is a point here about fatigue and overheating - - I agree. I have a friend that uses that same argument and the one about I don't go over 60 Km/h and it's just like a bicycle speed and I fall off a bicycle all the time.

It's well, kind of a stupid argument when you look at the facts and the realities of riding.

The point is you never know when you go down. Can be years and the stupidest thing will happen. If it's too hot to ride then don't. Lately, it's been the sun and the sun rays that have been intense so even if you stand out there in a T-shirt and shorts, you'll still be hot and still get burned.

My rule, the prudent one, is All the gear all the time. I mean just cover your skin. Today there is such a choice in gear and you can go lighter but cover your arms, legs, ankles, and hands. Wear some sort of jacket, even a denim jacket. Just for around town. They even make these m/c-specific shirts that have armor or a mesh jacket. Anything that will cover your exposed skin in a crash and take on the friction burn before your skin does.

And if you do spill, it might be a low speed and you will bounce off stuff. Read something like The Hurt Report or similar. Then choose gear accordingly. It's no big deal. Use your head.

Besides, you look like a dork riding around in shorts and a t-shirt.

In my younger days id ride shirtless, in only board shorts, and flip flops to the beach, or around town doing errands. Any time I'd do the twisties or expect an exuberant ride I was in full leathers though. My bucket of luck didnt run out before i filled the bucket of experience though so never had skin graphs...

Driving in 'ssauga this past weekend and i saw a dude riding with thong flip flops.

Safety aside, i know i wouldve lost a flip flop right away if that was me on/off the footpegs.

Dehydration is a really serious risk in hot weather and it can creep up on you on the motorcycle as your sweat evaporates so fast. Been there don't want that again ....you can't instantly re-hydrate. Just drink lots - if your pee is getting dark ...time to up the fluid intake.

Back
Top Bottom