Riding in shorts yes or no??? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding in shorts yes or no???

Driving in 'ssauga this past weekend and i saw a dude riding with thong flip flops.

Safety aside, i know i wouldve lost a flip flop right away if that was me on/off the footpegs.
I came across a M/C crash a couple of years ago where a cruiser hit a left turner. 911 hadn't arrived yet but the unconscious rider was being cared for by bystanders. He had one running show on and the other was ten feet away from his bleeding foot.

FWIW the road flares from two lane to four lane at the intersection and the cruiser may have blasted into the right lane at the last minute. I didn't see the crash.

Was in Ohio on a brutally hot day with high humidity. Full ATGATT all day and I suffered. Got back to the cabin, had a shower and then rode about 1 km to a local restaurant for supper wearing just a helmet. It was glorious and the appeal of riding like this is obvious, in particular when the weather is very hot. This said, the next day I wore full ATGATT again.

BTW, just to be clear, I was wearing shorts, T-shirt and running shoes on the way to dinner, not just a helmet like this guy.............

1658321773936.png

While I'm sure it feels good to have all that airflow...I don't think I'd be willing to risk it.

If it's too hot, I just don't bother riding. Not fun sweating like a pig and being uncomfortable as then I start focusing on my lack of comfort instead of the riding.

I wear AGATT, regardless, plus a cooling vest. I don`t like the idea of getting a skin graft. Perhaps from my cheeks. Then the Gf says, "I am not kissing your A`rs*

if you're moving and have a good airflow jacket, its cooler wearing gear than having exposed skin IMO.
the sun rays directly on my skin makes feel hotter than wearing a jacket.
this is why you see a lot of landscapers/farmers with long sleeves everything and a hat.

One reason I bought a white jacket and white helmet ...tropical sun is brutal. The HWK jacket is always cool when moving due to clever air flow channels if I keep my cuffs open.
I have a pair lighter HWK riding pants that are quite cool with decent mesh panels. Not made any more. Mix of mesh and cordura. I'll wear them again when it warms up.
I have a pair of these pants for sale here, in our classified section.

While I'm sure it feels good to have all that airflow...I don't think I'd be willing to risk it.

If it's too hot, I just don't bother riding. Not fun sweating like a pig and being uncomfortable as then I start focusing on my lack of comfort instead of the riding.
I'm with you. When it's stinking hot I just leave the bike at home. That includes off road riding.

Aside dehydration risk and general discomfort people (drivers) seem to be on a razors edge when it's this hot. I watched some chaos yesterday in a couple spots coming into Durham from Port Hope.

I'll wait until it cools off, or go for short evening rides if the itch becomes too strong.

My mesh suit was the result of a ride in temps like yesterday. Sweat was dripping out of my pant legs and I felt like crap. Swung by Royal in Guelph and bought a mesh suit. Much better. Continued ride.

On long rides, I'll wear a camelbak. Makes a huge difference as it is easy to stay hydrated.

My mesh suit was the result of a ride in temps like yesterday. Sweat was dripping out of my pant legs and I felt like crap. Swung by Royal in Guelph and bought a mesh suit. Much better. Continued ride.

On long rides, I'll wear a camelbak. Makes a huge difference as it is easy to stay hydrated.
I may look into some Olympia mesh pants actually. My kevlar jeans are hot as eff....

There was a guy selling an Olympia Jacket and Pants but only the mesh parts as he doesn't have the liners.

Never mind road rash, I have stuff bounce off my knees all the time. With shorts I imagine some of it would just stick instead. Ouch! Also unless you're wearing tight-fitting jorts or something wouldn't they ride up immediately?

I have never had a problem staying cool on the bike provided I'm hydrated, moving, and not wearing a rain suit.

I have come to the point that in the city on my commute to work (10 mins, maybe 3-4km), I will wear regular jeans instead of my kevlar lined ones, and occasionally a t shirt with no jacket. Always helmet, gloves, and high boots.

Today was just too much. I've probably had mild heat stroke on the bike in previous years from standing in traffic so I don't really want to risk it again because I remember some of the bad decisions I've made to avoid standing on hot pavement for 15 minutes at a time.

The speeds I go on my commute are not far off from a bicycle. I still don't wanna go down without my jacket - but it's a measured risk I decide to take.

If I am ever leaving the bounds of downtown, I am in full gear 100% of the time.

I'd never wear shorts on a bike - that's really pushing it I feel.

.............. When it's stinking hot I just leave the bike at home.................

Sometimes you don't have a choice. We book some rides south 8 - 10 months in advance to get a decent cabin for 4 - 5 people and the trip is usually 6 - 7 days in total. Weather is a total crap shoot that long out. It can be, and has been, cool, blistering hot, bone dry or a frog choking monsoon. We, obviously, have the forecast a few days before we leave but we're not cancelling at that late date.

As long as the rider is observing the helmet law (if it applies to them) they are pretty much free to wear what they like no matter the weather or the conditions. This being said, some value their safety over their comfort and some do it the other way around. As we can see in many of the replies the opinions vary but only to a small degree. I think helmet, gloves, pants, and boots seem to be the typical go-to items with jackets having the most choices of comfort vs. protection.

I'll do some squidding when i'm going 2km or less. But i feel naked...

Above that i'll just sweat.
This morning on my first commute to work in 2 years, i wore everything but riding pants because...i dont have a space in the office yet/access to showers yet and i was worried about swamp @ss.

It still gets me that people ride without gloves. First thing to hit the ground, must suck having to have someone else wipe your arse for a month.
This 100%. Hands are the most important body part after your head lol.

What's worse? The pain, or your friends mocking you online?

AM-JKLU3qlNjJxDRBp0D7mfH2f1QoEhCwlthaDgmNZUYyhro_DQmv53x_KlAJV-hytX47ejtnWcPzGw6kU0gJnDOZ7M91pDIZq9BscyLru-lhpJtqAZgMVIYIjdjbFvoDd6HbZl8z0yVulp4Ay94a54sr0Gg=w511-h601-no

The majority of the guys I see riding in shorts are riding cruisers. Prime example from yesterday morning: Shorts, slip-on runners up on the highway pegs, riding on the wrong side of the road over a blind crest. The waddle turn he made on to Guelph Line was amusing.

AM-JKLVyptncpBoH49DCJZ130xn-cuB4WJH-TgY5_sBCWhbkUWdgZAJZuqcVsIoS1U5lHSGBWt_hWHJMtR0p4nfytdFCQwg9H0t2CIpZ5ICPOwCfV2IKgFiqZYO9Dsf1eXQTIQL_2dBCNHVFyVYjjaX7wI3y=w583-h432-no

If a GP rider can get through an hr in the Spanish sun , trussed up like a Christmas turkey , I can suck up 3-4 hrs in my OK gear .
Wife works in a hospital, I do not need to see her professionally, it’s hassle enough recreationally .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Back
Top Bottom