Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia | Page 60 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia

Seems like there is a lot of that going around. I was in Brissy from 2010 to 2019 pretty much for 3-6 months of the year and Brisbane was the perfect Aussie city for me and QLD was the quintessential Australia. Super chill and relax and still convenient and full of all the comforts. Even when I was there, I seen the changes to the city.

First time I was there was around 2009 and things closed at 6PM no exception, except going down to the valley. Somewhere around 2015, the new students and Chinese money came in and things just went nuts. I still have tons of friends there and I can't wait to head down there. Hopefully the NSWers and the rest of the rift raft don't ruin the culture too much.

well that was a first ... :eek: ....3.30 am and woke from a sound sleep with a vivid nightmare of a crash with the bike. Small white car comes curving across my path from the right...then I woke with a start.:unsure:

Other than that was a nice ride up the Gillies earlier in the day including a short tour boat ride at Lake Barrine...pics soon.
Will try and sleep but certainly was an adrenalin rush as I woke. 🏍️

Enjoyed the boat trip at Barrine. Well worth the $10.

Lots of turtles and eels

good size tree dragon about a meter long hanging out.

1682843311085.png

Even the backyard was being photogenic with a pair of birdwings ( the female is bigger than my 2x palm )
1682843642124.png

Last edited:
Treated myself to lighter pair of gloves ....cooler and with finger sensor for the phone.
GFEND2003-c.jpg
GFEND2003-c.jpg

The ones I was wearing bunched in the palm and finger touch. I'll wear these in New Zealand as well just for warmth and still be able to use the phone and will be okay for driving too. Like their sizing.
Got the 1 tooth larger front sprocket on and scored the gloves while waiting. Will see how the slightly lower RPMs at 100 kph works out tomorrow.

Meanwhile the noobs are getting good experience

and Noraly back in stream.

Last edited:
a bit over the top ....4700m in snow and hail.
Screen Shot 2023-05-06 at May, 6    2023    6.18.09 AM.jpg
Gotta admire their pluck - that is adventure motocycling.

Different kind of adventure racing around the world on foils ....seaweed be damned.

Last edited:
Thought I would post this I wrote on another forum talking miles from a tank of fuel
Wind makes a huge difference. I've gotten some insane runs with a strong tailwind.....dismal with a headwind. This is useful checking wind conditions ( and other weather )
Local rides I'll head upwind in the morning when there is less wind and come home downwind.
Makes for a quieter ride ( audio books ), less wind pressure on head and shoulders ( small screen ) and of course better fuel mileage.
The CB300F is insane....consistently in the 70mpg range ....350-370 km on an 11 ltr fill.

But then no thrill in the throttle and it's too expensive to break the speed limit here.
Font Number Parallel

:eek:

Happiness when hitting the fuel station tho.....it is about $5.20 US per US gallon here.....$7.60 Australian.
screen-shot-2023-05-10-at-may-10-2023-12-40-03-pm-jpg.315870

I liked the big tank on the 2010 650 Vstroms I owned
screen-shot-2023-05-10-at-may-10-2023-12-42-05-pm-jpg.315871

Gotta say I've been impressed with these complete noobs going around the world on a Strom - matches my experience with excellent reliability ( as long as stator sorted on the 2010s )

Last edited:
Been a while, a number of new "rides" :rolleyes:....

Trip to New Zealand chasing Hobbits - Land of the Long White Cloud in May and June
Screen Shot 2023-09-03 at Sep, 3    2023    8.23.42 PM.jpg

.....then a flight to Canada via Tokyo a few days later to have a last few weeks with my son. :cry: Not working out as planned...
Screen Shot 2023-08-16 at Aug, 16    2023    7.44.43 AM.jpg

Smacked up my Canada ride..a short and brutish life for the little Yamaha SMax 155 cc scoot
1688229028529.png

and me a broken leg and clavicle on July 17th due to an ill advised left turn that I have no memory of.:eek:
Screen Shot 2023-08-09 at Aug, 9    2023    7.56.02 PM.jpg

Now riding the recovery road,
Screen Shot 2023-08-31 at Aug, 31    2023    3.40.14 PM.jpg

and watching Noraly on a new adventure until W Africa dries out. 110 HP !!! ...quite a change up from the little 300.

Happiness is shaving myself and washing my own hair imgres.png
Small pleasures

First time I got in front of a mirror and sink. Ensuite here does not accommodate wheelchair so finally on the commode chair and got cleaned up.
That step will lose the diaper too (y) The pee bag is a bit futher out for a visit from the urologist

okay this is very spooky

well that was a first ... :eek: ....3.30 am and woke from a sound sleep with a vivid nightmare of a crash with the bike. Small white car comes curving across my path from the right...then I woke with a start.:unsure:

They might let me back in Australia now I got a haircut.
1694120532653.png
Be nice if I could trim my jowls like I do the sideburns. :rolleyes:
Off to family dinner at Apricot Tree.

Back
Top Bottom