Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia | Page 52 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia

Safe travels home! And enjoy the warm weather, sunny beaches and good riding!

Good seeing you again! All the best!

Come see us.
Unpacking today and got a nice surprise

These ammonite fossils I bought in Africa were a sort of romantic gesture when Jude and I first got together and we feel a bond no matter how apart we are…
So we always show them on this side as it appeared the most interesting
PastedGraphic-1.tiff

I brought mine with me - I put it down on the shelf and was pleased to see opal glimmering….they have opal mines here and I love the gem
This was cool, it glimmers in the depths of the fossil shell as it mineralizes over time.

IMG_0099.jpeg

Finding the heat oppressive ... 10 pm and miserable working on the deck. Had a late supper as stupidly time shifted despite only 3 weeks away ...twas always thus. When I travelled to Japan was always a struggle.
Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at Dec, 14    2022    9.56.11 PM.jpg
CB300 did it's usual cough and fart a bit needing wide open throttle then settled down. Only does it after sitting for a few weeks. Not sure what the cause is,
Tank was full, bike caught immediately then stopped abruptly. Would not fire on normal "no throttle" and had to be coaxed - once revved a bit it settled to an even idle. Needs some riding. I should be fine for a short run tomorrow morning when it is cool.

Have a slight back ache from a pulled muscle manhandling 50lb suitcases - one of which remains to unpack. Have good drugs to control it.

Spent an hour in kids in law pool limbering up the day after I arrived and that was good. Hope to get back out to the reef for a day.

Partner has a bad back ( nurses plague ) and is pretty decrepid at the moment. Not a happy girl being told to rest by doctor. No idea what triggered it - last time she was on crutches for 6 months. Not so bad this time but she's grumpy and heat not helping. Dog is unhappy too at missing daily walks. She's lying out on deck instead of in bed trying for some cool air from below ( deck has airflow up through the floor - )
Think I'll just hide out in the air conditioning until this crisis abates.....tho it's been fun unpacking treasures and clothes we've missed for two years.
We now have two more Mova's back at home ....including the lovely 6" jupiter.
It loves the tropical sun....lots of power for its internal solar driven motor.

It will be cooler up on the Tablelands so an early ride to Barrine for tea and scones early on the agenda. Give the bike and me a workout up the Gillies.
Decided to trade in my 24" eBike for one the correct size for me. That may wait until next year when the heat is less.

Last edited:
Unpacked the last suitcase...nice to have the C3 helmet for when it is cooler.
Brought my Milwaukee Troopers as well...current boots had marginal ankle support.
Where to put all the stuff is another challenge.
This tho is a treat. I just have to be careful with the sun lighting up the wooden shelf ...been there.
Smoke ensues.
1671054919679.png

Both my monitors are 2k which are decent but was pining a bit for a 4k then stumbled on this.
Guy was moving, could not find the remote. $180 Aus
Fairly current Samsung 50" and we had a Samsung remote from a very old TV that worked.
👍 Now that was a score.

travel

This will do for now
will see with this set up ..
FoV wider than I've had but any two screens works the charm.

Pouring rain with some thunder 👍 feels so nice....
Screen Shot 2022-12-17 at Dec, 17    2022    10.16.07 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Yay discovered the new Samsung score has Bluetooth. Menu to get there not too bad.
Drier weather nice for sleeping but sucks for accessing the network in the far corner. Thinking of mesh.
Did not think for long - ordered - I got $200 for the one I left in Canada so I'm ahead.
Arriving Tue, 3 Jan

TP-Link AC1200 Whole-Home Mesh Wi-Fi System 3 Pack (Deco E4(3-pack))

$160.91
Condition: New
Using the iPhone which is not best in the long term.....catching up on The Peripheral.

Get on the bike in the morning and do a major shop and maybe a Kuranda run. 🏍️

Last edited:
or not
Screen Shot 2022-12-20 at Dec, 20    2022    3.29.01 AM.jpg
not as bad in reality as there are sunny patches but have not ridden in a while and don’t want to go on wet roundabouts Pasted Graphic.tiff
And was looking forward to tying the Milwaukee Troopers and the C3 Helmet I retrieved from Canada.

Having holiday dinner at the Bowls Club up the street ....walkable do drinkable.

Friend is considering seriously moving to Australia so sent him this...enjoying it myself on my new 50"

The luxury hotel I quarantined at in Jan 2020 when I got my landed visa was just behind the white and black towers in the foreground...260 degree view. Called Surfers Paradise the small city was lovely and even had some lorikeets visit the 17th floor balcony.
I did not choose ...the gov did....Kudos to whoever assigned me that and
$2000 for two weeks all inclusive...not the hardest time.
I could see the surfers and the river traffic ....good wifi - some choices in food and I could order in - even booze.
Screen Shot 2022-12-20 at Dec, 20    2022    5.04.23 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-12-20 at Dec, 20    2022    5.12.05 AM.jpg
Full width balcony with sunning chaise ...
Screen Shot 2022-12-20 at Dec, 20    2022    5.18.33 AM.jpg
How many people have fond memories of quarantine :giggle:

Last edited:
Best laid plans ....even the dog is ****** she can't get a walk ...maybe tomorrow as the temps are very nice.
Screen Shot 2022-12-20 at Dec, 20    2022    9.22.58 AM.jpg

Noraly taking it up a notch ....

Last edited:
Itchy Boots latest video. She rides with real authority on a good bike. I hope she ditches the gutless pos Honda's now.
Great videos. Better than the tourist trip.

She was much more concerned with reliability and both Hondas delivered.
I doubt very much she will move away from the marque for her world touring.
The 300 is light enough for her to drag around on her own.
She rarely did the "tourist trip" ....one reason I enjoy them because she gets into the odd corners of places and interacts with people well off the beaten track.
I doubt very much she would have the subscriber numbers if they were all like the last two videos.
Still nice to see her riding skills progress.

Last edited:
Maybe I get in a ride today ....rain rain rain yesterday ....nothing much heavy - just constant. Looking good later in the morning. Celebrex rocks. 🏍️
Can't win - my calendar program has problems with the dateline - turns out have hearing appt today at 11...maybe aftern since it's reasonably cool.

Last edited:
1671667285243.png
Finally.
nice ride up - just south of Port Douglas…forgotten how quiet the C3 helmet I brought back was. Also the Milwaukee Trooper boots are a treat - much better support at the ankles and grip on the pavement - little easier to get on the bike tho a bit harder to shift ….will get used to . Will head back soonish …good first ride in a while ..bike started immediately …need a tiny bit of maintenancece smoooch.
Forgot my glasses, need to charge the TPMS - bike started instantly as normal.
Hands a bit tingly ...this is new. Thought my phone was doing soming weird but was my hands feeling like I was holding something vibrating.....gone now..

Very nice temps - mix of sun and cloud. 25 feels like 28.
Wore my heavier Hawk riding pants...just in case it rains and they fit a bit looser. I shut off the vents in the pants but still was not uncomfortable.

Might get lightly rained on going back home ....still some showers about.
Thinking about treating myself to a CE2 armor set as coming into the wet season can get slippy. Move the old armor into something I can use on my eBike....at least for knees.
Must be some sales coming up.
Pair of lorikeets in the tree nearby - not photgraphed today.
1671668120129.pngand saw some black cockatoos earlier. Tailfeathers look like tail lights from behind.
1671668062514.png

Holiday pig out last night at the bowls club. Got my inner carnivore content. 😋
Lots of draws, our table of friends won a couple of hams and a turkey but feature win was our close friends across the table won both a ham AND a 58" big screen 👍
1671786884793.png

1671786972672-png.58837

Looking good for a ride up the Gillies for tea and scones at Lake Barrine around 10ish
Bit stiff from the ride yesterday but took a Celebrex which should just kick in nicely by the time I'm ready.
Next three days are write offs for riding. Lots of movies and shows to catch.
Lovely out now at 4 am - 25 and clear.

Attachments

• 1671786972672.png
    1671786972672.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Turned out as advertised tho a bit of sprinkles -sun is threatening.
Took it very easy coming up the Gillies as somewhat awkward with the boots and helmet fits differently plus still tired from yesterday.
Screen Shot 2022-12-23 at Dec, 23    2022    12.13.37 PM.jpg
Always something around to photograph ...a large lizard on the footpath that was unperturbed by my walking by
1671786574774.png

Nice large pot of tea and fresh scones. Spent an enjoyable hour reading.
1671788120589.png

and a diver wrestling with an oversized fish ....that will teach me not to have the camera ready .....was a good show to watch but little evidence from the camera.
Very mellow day, mostly grey with hints of blue and mid 20s. I was almost chilly - will have to carry an extra layer - unexpected this time of year.
Pics later..slowest internet evah
Rode home via Kuranda, nice tailwind and learned a lot from the latest audio book.
1671788408630.png

Bike ran well and this time I had the padded shorts on and they worked the charm.
Three days of rain so time for a bit of maintenance.

Last edited:
Could have ridden today ....no rain at all but will try tomorrow.

Pizza and something on big screen tonight.....partner bought munchies too....rare event.

then on Thursday ....and our perfect choice of seats. 🍿

Wonder if we will see another Noraly episode...that groin pull looked nasty....unlike it was actually torn ...I have a souvenir from an actual tear...nice little dip above my left knee.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom