Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia | Page 48 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia

Damn Wyoming is gorgeous ....might seriously need to consider a road trip with partner for Colorado and Wyoming....we've been to California, Utah and then further north to Glacier and Yellowstone.
Sort of left a chunk of pretty out in the middle. Good session and informative ,,,,glorious in 4k.

Allergies driving me batty - and sucking energy out as hard to sleep.

Some of the new eBike gear came in so that's incentive to get out.
Disappointed with Souke....the padded underwear fit exactly to size, the riding over shorts were like 3-4" small at the waist even tho ordered according to the company website sizing. :(
Guess I'll try with my tactical riding pants but really not the right thing.
Thought I had it sorted.

Last edited:
Damn Wyoming is gorgeous ....might seriously need to consider a road trip with partner for Colorado and Wyoming....we've been to California, Utah and then further north to Glacier and Yellowstone.
Sort of left a chunk of pretty out in the middle. Good session and informative ,,,,glorious in 4k.

Disappointed with Souke....the padded underwear fit exactly to size, the riding over shorts were like 3-4" small at the waist even tho ordered according to the company website sizing. :(
Thought I had it sorted.
Now you tell me. I guess I'll see if they fit when they get here.

Well assuming you are talking the padded shorts....they were fine.
It's these that did not
and was not all that thrilled with the fastener.
ok good. Those look real tight.

Same company - stooopidly different sizing. On their way back.
Have some casual black shorts that will work with my Itchy Boots socks....partner will avert her eyes. 🤪
The alternative are the spandex tights I wear for warmth on the mcycle.

Last edited:

Thought I had it sorted.
I tried to enter Yellowstone park and the Beartooth Pass on July 4. All roads were closed due to flooding and there was no snow in sight. She had to be 5 or 6 weeks ahead. This pic is just outside Yellowstone.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1661433299576.jpg
    FB_IMG_1661433299576.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 11

that was fun. She's got Dunlop 606 on the back ...I really found them excellent for directional control tho of course they wear fast.
I could point them up an angled rise and they would go exactly where pointed. (y)
I switched out to E-07s for the last pair on the KLR as they were better on wet roads than the K60s which would last forever but got rather exciting in the rain on pavement.
None of that now ....tho I wish I had a 300 dual sport at times. :(

Not much riding of late on either bike. Might have been fighting off a low level bug.
Still thinking about a trip to Cooktown but also it's getting close to our jaunt to the Adelaide area in Sept for a couple of weeks.

Currently some welcome rain and nice to see Noraly moving north. The Missoula episode coming up should be very interesting as it is a geologic wonder as was the backstory of the geologist that made an outrageous claim over it....was correct 🍿

Last edited:
I tried to enter Yellowstone park and the Beartooth Pass on July 4. All roads were closed due to flooding and there was no snow in sight. She had to be 5 or 6 weeks ahead. This pic is just outside Yellowstone.
I thought maybe the date/time would show up on her GPS - but I don't think it does.
Given the cooler temps I would tend to agree with your assessment Wingboy.

Also length of day in this one puts her in June. With 1.2 million subscribers I don't blame her for not doing time and place til she's moved on. Pretty sketchy place for a breakdown tho.

She got very lucky with the downed trees.
One day earlier and a long return. That was a gnarly passage past the log even with some help.

Raining so no riding today and overhauling furniture as housemate moves out and we re-organize the main living area and my little room near my riding gear that was formerly housemates bedroom.
Jude turned one bedroom into her music room so I get the other. Nice riding stretch coming up. I've been babying my sciatica and feels pretty good.
- put this up to remind me to get out there.

Sunday 4 September

Summary
sunny.png
Min 20 Max 27 Sunny.Chance of any rain: 5%
rain_5.gif

Sunny. Winds south to southeasterly 20 to 30 km/h becoming light during the evening.
Sun protection recommended from 8:40 am to 3:50 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 11 [Extreme]

Monday 5 September

Summary
partly-cloudy.png
Min 18Max 28Partly cloudy.Chance of any rain: 5%
rain_5.gif

Partly cloudy. Light winds becoming southeasterly 15 to 25 km/h during the morning then becoming light during the evening.
Sun protection recommended from 8:40 am to 3:40 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 10 [Very High]

Tuesday 6 September

Summary
partly-cloudy.png
Min 19Max 28Partly cloudy.Chance of any rain: 20%
rain_20.gif

Partly cloudy. Slight chance of a shower. Light winds becoming southeasterly 15 to 25 km/h during the morning.

Wednesday 7 September

Summary
cloudy.png
Min 20Max 28Cloudy.Possible rainfall: 0 to 0.4 mmChance of any rain: 30%
rain_30.gif

Cloudy. Slight chance of a shower. Light winds becoming southeasterly 20 to 25 km/h during the morning.

Thursday 8 September

Summary
partly-cloudy.png
Min 20Max 28Partly cloudy.Possible rainfall: 0 to 0.2 mmChance of any rain: 30%
rain_30.gif

Partly cloudy. Slight chance of a shower. Light winds becoming east to southeasterly 20 to 25 km/h during the morning.

Leaving for 2 weeks in the Adelaide Flinders range in Southern Australia...been a while since we've had a trip. Nana gone now, housemates moved out

Last edited:
Saturday iffy for a long ride so will go up the range road to Kuranda for this place for early lunch

Get some twists to scratch the riding itch
and let the weather decide if I do the loop out to the Rex

Likely do Carnival on Collins down the street tomorrow tho might be a covid risk :( Still Botanical Gardens are very nice and walkable from home. Will be a bit of a zoo as gorgeous weather predicted.

CoC_Image-.jpg

Well I didn't get to the Rain Forest Cafe in Kuranda yesterday but ended with a 200+ ride around a a fav loop with a good audio book on the go.
Got slightly wet going up the range but very little traffic and then dodged minor rain showers and was dry by the time I got home. Wore the lighter riding pants and the fix on the fastener worked fine so good timing as it gets warmer.
Bike is running well tho could use a wipe down. Need to tighten the throttle lock tho after a 1/2 hour riding any numbness goes away from my carpal tunnel condition ...talked with partner and decided not to get my right hand fixed and my left hand has been been fine ....only a faint scar left.
Screen Shot 2022-09-04 at Sep, 4    2022    7.06.57 AM.jpg
I noticed my resident ospreys are on the nest ..not sure if it was the breeding pair or maturing fledglings I saw. From earlier shoot. Got a very nice series of parents feeding mostly fledged chicks.
1662239887480.png
Will go back up with the long lens - maybe even today tho have house duties to undertake.
Gorgeous clear day with high of 26. Uncertain about going to the festival due to covid risk even tho it's outside.
Next stop Canada for Noraly. Quite impressed with the RevIt gear she sponsors.
..but above my pay grade and don't really need anything other than boots and these would be perfect
but have a pair of Milwaukee Troopers in Canada I will wear back on the plane.

Last edited:
Uneventful but satisfying day rearranging the house to suit our needs. Got the 4k screening area sorted to my distance requirements - for reference 13" laptop against 55" screen. Screen Shot 2022-09-04 at Sep, 4    2022    5.42.36 PM.jpg
then my workspace as weill with multiple 27" screens . Was an over cleaning and re-org. Bucolic day with little wind and lots of birds about.
Screen Shot 2022-09-04 at Sep, 4    2022    5.41.53 PM.jpg
Stunning day out...we did not go out of the house - partially home grown salad for supper.
It IS looking like more in house work tomorrow but may beg off for a ride and going to rain after that.

Well that did not last long and a re-orgag ensued... :rolleyes: I'm now tucked into a corner with the three screens and it actually works out well.
I get nice sun on my shoulders in the morning and stop sitting on my right hip which has been making my sciatica worse.
Screens are tighter and I have a continuous large workspace rather than the split.
Much better view from the main part of the deck to the backyard jungle and daybed is very pleasant.....now the dogs perch of choice.
1662522631308.png
1662522730413.png

about 4 rearrangements of the main table and the fibre mats under it ensued tho the materials are light.
The marble work benches and the hardwood bed are a ***** to move around....just hoping no cyclones this season. Waiting on the couch to arrive to complete the space and we sketched it out on the floor so we know will work nicely. The area used to be very prone to rain squalls from the east but partner spent a chunk of change putting in transparent awnings that eliminate that.
Rather sore today but got a very nice day with little wind and a nice lunch at the top of the Gillies. Good coffee and a filling Greek Lasangna that made up for the late lunch. Under $20 all in and will be back a bit earlier when their selection is not sold out. Goofie lot of girls running it and someone in there knows how to cook. Presentation across the board is excellent.

Mad Hatterz Cafe​

Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at Sep, 7    2022    2.03.13 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at Sep, 7    2022    2.07.08 PM.jpg
Has a lot of competition within a very short walking distance and clearly they've made themselves a niche.
Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at Sep, 7    2022    2.11.09 PM.jpg
Someone had fun decorating.

See if I can get out on the eBike tomorrow. Low wind today was an invitation for the mcycle even tho just a touch showery.

I think a Daintree run today early as going to 30c later this aft. Low 20s now and not much wind so nice riding conditions for a lazy Sunday. Have a good eBook to finish
Best laid plans....Cook Highway closed til 1.30 pm for a cycling event and the only way around is a much longer route than I'm prepared to ride.
Ravenshoe I guess ....will be cooler on the Tablelands anyway....even Hasties Swamp is a possible leaving this early .( 7 am ). Pack the big lens.

Last edited:
Ah one of those perfect riding days, right temp, right wind....the Palmerston has big sweeps - not like the tight twists of the Gillies and it took me back to the lovely 3D of flying a sailplane in the thermals.
The 300 surprised me keeping up speed as I climbed the range without downshifting except for one 12 degree grade. Flying through the rainforest. (y)
Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at Sep, 11    2022    5.59.43 PM.jpg not quite up to the thrill of a wing over in the Astir....but....

Then a brunch of Devonshire Tea at Mungali Dairy. Home by 1.30 pm. If it stays this warm I'll be out early each day.
P1050769.JPG
was leaning on the railing and noticed a lovely flower just below me.Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at Sep, 11    2022    6.04.15 PM.jpg1662931857130.png
Called a Walking Iris - with a little tregona stingless bee just below. Certain rainflower plants do not release their pollen until they sense the correct buzz frequency from the little bees. Co-evolution over millions of years.
Partner with green thumb sez they will work in the back yard rain forest and they self propagate. Flowers only last a day but they bloom regularly. Remind me of a small trillium with an orchid stuck on.
The Daintree forest is one of two that were never glaciated. so you get "antiques" like the cassowary hanging on .....some rain forest seeds need to go through the digestive process of a dino to sprout. Cassowaries do the job now... this guy is a local at Etty Bay.
Netty Bay best Cassowary copy.jpg
not my photo ...would be a tricky one to get in range of those raptor feet.
1662932291273.png
excellent ride yesterday.
7.40 am 24c going to 29. Suspect a eBike jaunt tho still waiting on my rear carrier.

Last edited:
Sciatica,:mad: toothache of the leg and hip. It does respond to Celebrex and panadol as long as I'm careful not to irritate the nerve. If I think about my sitting position I can keep the pressure off it....new office set up caters to leaning on left hip instead of right which has sciatica. Have padded shorts for both mcycle and ebike which helps. I'm hoping regular ebike riding will help overall.
I'm slowly getting all the needed destinations, eye exam, dentist, barber, grocer all in short eBike range.
The only one I won't give up is my doctor which is a 15 min mcycle ride away in the direction of good riding to the south, Gillies, Palmerston and Etty Bay, so don't mind that.
My 75th bday mandatory health check for licence is coming up in a month and doc says there will be no issue.
Aiming to ride until 80 tho a few riders go further. Horizon is in sight and figure the eBike is a good option for local exploring and getting out there.
Honda has proposed an eMotorcycle with the same chassis as my CB300F but I suspect will be too $$ and I get 71 mph ...3.1L per 100km so hard to justify spending more on an eMotorcycle. Having 365 day riding here as opposed to 1/2 of that in Canada is a big bit of enjoyment and I HATE Toronto even to escape it. It's 4 hours at least and a border crossing to equivalent riding I get around Cairns immediately.

Booked a physio appointment today to get an assessment while I'm still a bit stiff from the rider yesterday. eBike ride over.
They are at a local plaza with our go to grocery store and an easy eBike ride to get there. If I was smart I'd set up the alarm before I go tho the lock should be sufficient.

Good ebike to the physio ...small world ...my therapist is from Canada and we have mutual friends who used to run Irwinn Inn on Stoney Lake. :oops:

Last edited:
May get out today but enjoying cleaning up photo albums - some 37k digital photos over the last 20 years starting with a very early Kodak 2mp

I have a list of my two wheel vehicles going back a ways and this popped up. I really enjoyed spending 3 months in S Africa during Cdn winters partially for the weather and also for the simple lifestyle. I think 4 years there - last year was only 6 weeks as I had met my current partner and flew to Cairns for 6 weeks in 2011 then back to Canada via Africa.
Very small efficiency apartment on a working farm, walk or bicycle anywhere and friend there with a car for going here and there for sight seeing. Simple food ...cafe and farmstalls in easy walking distance and enough wifi to keep me in touch but that was about all.
A wonderful small salt pool in the back yard I'd float in and watch the stars. Nice memories.
The "dry out" from running the biz in Mississauga was a real treat and I was also recovering from cancer treatment which took a year or more.
This Raleigh brought back a lot of memories and I've added it to the "history".
Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at Sep, 14    2022    11.48.02 AM.jpg
A few photos from then which I'm adding to today.

The crocs are calling. Daintree run today. Long sleep. Nice day. 23 going to 29 - out early.
Easy ride up
Busy at ferry
riding on the way to cape tribulation
Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at Sep, 15    2022    12.17.56 PM.jpg
no acident - just an ICE fully engulfed.
I felt safe getting by but the line up going home might be epic
Managed to time it that the trip home I got to the accident site just as the fire dept cleared half the road so I was front of the line to get back to the ferry ....on 8 or vehicles on the ferry.
Turns out the engulfed vehicle did hit a tree - I did not linger to look as I tiptoed by while it was burning dodging a few bits of burning rubber on the road ....but could see when the fire was out it had hit the tree head on. The ambulance was also there on my way out but left so not sure if anyone hurt.

Last edited:
Second time I hurt more on the second day after a ride :mad: Heart rate was up and O2 level down.
Feeling okay today tho after a good sleep.
Off at noon to Kangaroo Island to use up some left over travel points from the covid era,...which is still with us but not so much impact on travel.
Will post up pics. Kangaroo Island | Visit, Stay & Explore

Two Itchy Boots episodes to catch up as she travels through BC
:coffee: 🍿

Back
Top Bottom