Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia | Page 47 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia

Keeping on my attempted schedule of eBike then mcycle discovered an excellent route with class A bike path suggested by a friend when she took us to East Indian food dinner the other night. ( she calls me Canadian Dad and lived with us for a few years - was nice to have a 20 something around )
She's finally got her own villa ...a housing category that is excellent for those starting out ....ranging from $250-$350k with 2 or 3 bedroom cinderblock ....sometimes solo sometimes duplex and always decent yards.
Our other previous roomie also just got her 3 bedroom ( rare ) for $320 and very happy.
Some are freehold and some with body corporate and extras like a maintained pool.

Anyways a new route was recommended and it can be the basis for fine rides within my capability and very safe ...most on dedicated two way bicycle paths. Did a 30 min ride today just o explore and aside from dodging opening car doors down by the Botanical Gardens which of course are popular on Sundays it was a low stress ride.

This is also on the route ....
and I look forward to having a coffee and finding out how they sorted the name as it refers I think to a turn of the 19th century book. The business was started over 60 years ago.
1659842559804.png
Which was far ahead of it's time.
A Girl of the Limberlost, a novel by American writer and naturalist Gene Stratton-Porter, was published in August 1909. It is considered a classic of Indiana literature. It is the sequel to her earlier novel Freckles. The story takes place in Indiana, in and around the Limberlost Swamp.
I'm wondering how that name got transplanted to far north Queensland. There is a story there.

So is the Barron River Hotel which goes back to 1887 and newly renovated.
1659843069457.png
The Barron River is one of the oldest, if not the oldest, hotel in Cairns first built as a lodging house in 1887 for local timber yard workers. It was then opened by The Tully family as a hotel in 1927. It has a long and rich history etched into the fabric of the hotel. The verandah is a great place to relax, overlooking the old timber mill and the rail lines where the Kuranda Railway journeys past each day, lade with tourists. The bar is full of colourful characters, as it has been for over 100 years. With a large range of cold beers on tap, Keno and TAB and a 35 machine gaming room with the latest link jackpots - the hotel certainly caters for those who want to have a great time. Come in relax, take in the history and enjoy the serenity of The Barron River Hotel.
I've been there for trivia night but would not mind a lunch there via eBike.
I might even get a decent burger
Screen Shot 2022-08-07 at Aug, 7    2022    1.27.50 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Couple of grey days low 20s - not inclined to ride either - couple of good books on the go and we had a shopping trip for new furniture that was a seductive for spending money but we managed to avoid for the moment. Will need something in a few months but it will be modest, Save the $$ for s New Zealand trip and an upcoming run to the penguins and Flinders range and a few days on the southern coast away from it all. Not even any internet :eek: :rolleyes:
Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at Aug, 9    2022    5.51.33 PM.jpg
Middling decent weather coming up but mostly confined to the coast as not inclined to get cold tho seems not much different on the Tableland. Got out my lighter riding pants but think I'll stick with the heavier ones now. Glad the grey will go away tomorrow.
Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at Aug, 9    2022    5.53.04 PM.jpg
Still trying to decide on some knee protection for the eBike.

Couple of grey days low 20s - not inclined to ride either - couple of good books on the go and we had a shopping trip for new furniture that was a seductive for spending money but we managed to avoid for the moment. Will need something in a few months but it will be modest, Save the $$ for s New Zealand trip and an upcoming run to the penguins and Flinders range and a few days on the southern coast away from it all. Not even any internet :eek: :rolleyes:
View attachment 56907
Middling decent weather coming up but mostly confined to the coast as not inclined to get cold tho seems not much different on the Tableland. Got out my lighter riding pants but think I'll stick with the heavier ones now. Glad the grey will go away tomorrow.
View attachment 56908
Still trying to decide on some knee protection for the eBike.
I probably wouldn't use knee protection for the ebike. I wear a helmet and gloves on bicycle style vehicles but that's it. Elbows will take it worse than knees in most crashes. If you are riding somewhere that you think a crash is going to happen, I would throw on your mc pants. When I was riding a bicycle all winter, I would assume at least one crash a year. Now that I rarely ride in the ice, I aim for much less than that (and other than a hit on a log filling my knee with fluid, my knees were not the primary injury site).

Interesting - I don't think much of protecting elbows. I do have my light mcycle pants but not sure flexible enough. Worth a try tho and warmer ( it's only 15 now )
There are sets pretty cheap with both elbow and knee protection. I'm more likely to do a Biden and end up tangled in the bike and put a knee down than actually crash. That's sort of what I'm concerned about as I'm riding very conservatively but then I look down and see 25 kph with little effort and realize yeah some risk of injury more like on a off pavement ride where I was very glad I had knee protection. I'll try the pants maybe today and see how I make out. I've not got the seat high enough yet and my knees come up too high so wonder if the armour will put pressure on my knees. I can wear tights tho that will help with that. Easy enough to try.

Fortunately I'm used to two handed braking from the Burgman 650 so that's a natural for me but a front wheel washout is still a potential and the geometry on the bicycles does not lend stability. Appreciate the insight. Still big time in learning curve on the bicycle....I ain't 12 any more. 👴

Looks gorgeous out as the sun breaks warming me up on the deck. More likely a motorcycle ride today then bicycle tomorrow. It's only 16 tho 🥶 - winter is back🤪

Last edited:
Longer ride yesterday but damn was it cold on the Tableland. Was just going to slip up the Gillies ( it was excellent - had a fast driver ahead and had fun chasing ):rolleyes:. was going to head back down to warm on the coast but Lake Barrine was closed...:unsure:....they just can't get enough staff. Lot of disappointed people and on a Wednesday !!!!
So wandered further up to Millaa Millaa for fuel and the Falls Teahouse but then found out they are only serving the tour buses - likely same staff issue.....so on to Mungali BioDynamic Dairy
which was also crowded but found a table on the porch and the sun finally warmed me up. The scones, cream and jam all local and tasty but they have downsized the cream and jam amount. Still was tasty with bottomless tea for $11.
Was well rested so decided the long way home via Innisfail was worthwhile and glad I did.
300 km day and came home relaxed...two days off helped. DIscovered my AirHawk was low and a few breaths pump up helped quite a bit so less sore - I really like that loop. Even the rather strong tailwind coming north from Innisfail made for a sweet riding environment with the audio book. Really happy with the ridiculously cheap BT IEMs, good fit, decent sound and long battery life.
Really enjoying the cheapie BlueTooth IEMs.
51EUwHkcyrL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

1MORE Omthing AirFree Lace in Ear Headphones, Bluetooth 5.0 Wireless Bluetooth Neckband Earphones,12H Playtime, IPX4, Bluetooth Earphones for Sports, Home, Black
Waterproof and USB-C
...just needed better foam tips intead of the silicon. Hard to believe $22 shipped and I'm fussy about my IEMs. Big buttons too work with gloves.
61OMznGp-lL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Had to re-order as partner has appropriated the ones I had....with fresh tips of course. :rolleyes:
These are the tips you want for riding to isolate properly and get good bass response.Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at Aug, 11    2022    8.42.07 AM.jpg
Be carefull you get tips that are at least 6-7mm.
I wear mine in front as controls easier to access but then flip behind the neck when not riding. Well thought out product. Hope they last.
Still having a love/hate relationship with the Shure 215 Bluetooth. Loop over hurts my ears on a long ride and the sound on one channel cuts out then comes back and have not been able to track but only when wearing in the motorcycle helmet. Think they will be fine for the eBike.
Hope to get a longer eBike ride around 11 am and go further on the same track as last time....there is a 17Km loop available but the second half has a lot of turns and not sure I have a way to follow it.
I can see it on the laptop screen but not sure I can do it on the phone. Will see.

Enjoyed seeing Itchy Boots back on the road as she's running late on her Alaska Trip.
Her fresh tires and improved suspension must be a treat.

Last edited:
I almost got caught out again on the eBike today as it quit part way home ( in exactly the same spot ) despite showing 3 bars of 8 the battery - but then decided to get me the rest of the way after me walking a couple ks and trying it again. Got some exercise …it’s a plot ;)
Really have to figure out why the battery is misbehaving when still showing lots of power left.
I was a little out of puff today after yesterdays ride to Millaa Milla as well so now figuring this pattern is best ....long motorcycle ride, day of rest, ebike ride, then repeat.

Last edited:
Picked this up for $36 Aus shipped - watch the video - really well thought out. My CB300 has 39L Shad topcase so this 35L on the eBike will hold decent groceries and my laptop will fit for longer rides.
A photo from one buyer
1660269740094-png.306442

ROCKBROS 35L Waterproof Bicycle Bag MTB Bike Rack Trunk Pannier Bike Multifunctional Large Capacity Travel Bag Bike Accessories

- good reviews and design. Hard to beleive the price point.
www.aliexpress.com

17.98US $ 48% OFF|Rockbros 35l Waterproof Bicycle Bag Mtb Bike Rack Trunk Pannier Bike Multifunctional Large Capacity Travel Bag Bike Accessories - Bicycle Bags & Panniers - AliExpress

Smarter Shopping, Better Living! Aliexpress.com
www.aliexpress.com
www.aliexpress.com

This is the feature that hooked me. Panniers that come out on both sides.

HTB1BRfcL3HqK1RjSZFPq6AwapXaf.jpg

and nice padding for camera - supposedly waterproof too.

HTB10_95L9rqK1RjSZK9q6xyypXaa.jpg

worth watching the video.
did not really want a basket on the front and this will do just fine.

A rare evening baching it and heading for this. Had a lazy day reading.
Partner is dogsitting at dottors over night.
Should be a bit dark on the way home but not concerned - been meaning to have a night ride anyways... used to be a fav a few times a year.
It's all well lit anyways.

Meal was soso tho geared to in-residence foreign students so it varies over the week.
Memories of high school but some international influence.
1660367357478.png
Cute goats just outside the dining hall.
Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at Aug, 13    2022    3.06.08 PM.jpg
Ride was excellent tho forgot gloves and could not be bothered to go back inside for them.
Biggest treat was a GIANT moon in the sky exactly down the route I was riding home.
Memorable. Called a Sturgeon Moon. I've had some very enjoyable night rides with a full moon.
Perceptually like this which I took a few years back in Brisbane. ( I knew the plane was taking off - pilot as B in law let us know.
1660366507293.png

....should have stopped and gotten a shot with palm fronds in the foreground last night.
Bachelor again tonight so maybe ride to the Esplanade on the eBike with the camera since the bike is fully charged and it's warm enough.

A long sleep is sooo good. Got a solid 7 hours last night and even then lazed in bed until 5 am. Off for a long motorcycle ride to Ravenshoe....might even take the old Palmerston out of Milla Milla as I like that route and will have the big camera with me. Hi ho.
Stunning ride to Ravenshoe up the Gillies - one little white knuckle when a too long SUV with trailer realized the passing lane was too short and I had to swing into the oncoming lane around his bumper and he had the gall to use his horn....fortunately nothing was coming, I was accelerating and in the correct gear even tho uphill the little 300 did fine and I was past him....I think he was more startled than anything but he should not have pulled over to let me pass without slowing a lot more. Engaging Neal Stephenson audio book on the go too.

For once things are open here and having a fine lunch at Country Mile Cafe and absorbing some Vit D. Laptop getting a tad warm as very clear sky but feel good as was a tiny bit cool coming up the Gillies in the shade. Found a shortcut since for once I was using Nav and had fun splashing through a very shallow but paved stream. Nice twists so will return that way and then take the Old Palmerston home...will be a long day but so far wonderful ....very well rested. :D
Not much to look at but very good reviews and great cost effective menu.
Mildly spicy "Mexican" beef dish with capisum and onions well cooked plus rice ....glad I was hungry but lot more of a cow fix than a burger. Lot of tasty beef strips buried in there.
1660544247629.png
Hit the old Palmerston Hwy just outside Ravenshoe....really like it as it winds through mixed rain forest and open hills. Quite narrow and would have liked a few more photo stops but not much space to pull over as basically a one lane but paved route.
CB300 shocks are marginal on it but was not going fast - been a while since I've ridden it.
Some lovely vistas.
Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at Aug, 15    2022    4.30.10 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at Aug, 15    2022    4.27.40 PM.jpg
Then close vegetated banks.
Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at Aug, 15    2022    4.35.00 PM.jpg
always amazed me when I first got here these vertical banks of greenery,
340 km so longest day in a while but not too achy....took a picnic table break part way home.
1660545581543.png
Unzipped some vents and lost the neck gaiter...really looking forward to the clear glasses that are coming as much nicer going in and out of the dark rain forest. The Shark main visor sucks for clarity due to the anti- fog coating on the inside and the sun visor too dark.
On its way - Likely should have bought two pair....$5 each.

Last edited:
Crazy chick.
Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at Aug, 17    2022    9.04.20 AM.jpg
Course not the ideal thing to watch at 5 am and 14 degrees with no heat.
Couch hunting this morning and then maybe an eBike ride which I need.

Crazy chick.
View attachment 57061
Course not the ideal thing to watch at 5 am and 14 degrees with no heat.
Couch hunting this morning and then maybe an eBike ride which I need.
Those videos could have been made a couple of months ago. (She has had trouble with people trying to follow her.) I am kinda doubting her preparedness as i watch now. If this is how she deals with a bit of cold weather, wtf is she going to do in Alaska?

Well Alaska is generally not nasty cold until late September so yeah depends on where she is and where she goes. Rain however could be a big issue this year with La Nina and of course short days.
If she stays around the Kenai and Anchorage she'll be okay. Further north ....she might want to reload for next spring as I think she wants to do the Yukon and NWT.
She may find distances daunting.
I suspect the videos were made in June

Bought these for eBike but might work well for the CB300 as well as padding seems a bit better than the much more expensive MotoSkivvies tho not as wide. The skivvies have lasted tho getting thin in some areas and the elastic is tired so depends on the riding pants to stay in place - the padding looks good as new tho.
717hrATKp+L._AC_SL1200_.jpg
71AlqDFbxZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I'll be happy if these give some relief from sore ass..
They certainly are comfortable on the short ride I did, √

Alarm
71Vkhqb5sML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Useful bit of kit too

As I'm roaming further and doing errands this is useful...even tho the bike has a good lock and is heavy enough to prevent any easy snatch and grab ...this seems a cheap deterrent ...even in our drive compound and from casual tampering.

Last edited:
Seems Safari is fubar for Youtube on here now. Brave is better anyways.
Just happened to be wearing the IEMs I bought ( and partner now swiped ) and was 10m away, inside a bathroom with the door closed and they didn't hiccup. Impressed with the range and wall/door penetration.
And very comfortable on the mcycle and ebike with decently big buttons. Price is right too.
51EUwHkcyrL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
1660981583162.png

The NewBee foam tips are really good.
1660981944616.png

Off to Cairns Electric Bikes tomorrow which are oddly open on Sunday morning at 9am

Then across the Daintree on Monday as have not been up in a while.

Last edited:
Sorry we missed Colorado on our US travels :(
My trip thru Washington State in mid June was with barely any snow in the mountain passes.Noraly probably was there a month before me. Or maybe even more.

Colorado passes much higher and she was at 3,000+ meters several times.
Ute Pass, 9,165 feet 2,793 m, 5.6% ; Wind River Pass, 9,130 feet 2,783 m ; Black Mesa Summit, 9,121 feet 2,780 m ; Hardscrabble Pass, 9,085 feet
Washington
Aasgard Pass; (Colchuck Pass)Cascade RangeChelan7,831 feet (2,387 m)
Blewett PassWenatchee MountainsChelan, Kittitas4,124 feet (1,257 m)
Cayuse PassCascade RangePierce4,833 feet (1,473 m)
Plus that news article on the giant boulder closing the Rocky Mountain Parkway on June 2 seems to fit very well. Can't see a lot of those incidents occurring.

That still gives her time to get to Alaska but we shall see. 🍿

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom