Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia | Page 38 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia

It's pissing down rain just now which we need so had a long workday but weather clearing and bike is fueled so good for a couple of no contact rides as Covid plays out here. :rolleyes:
Even bought a couple of the expensive frozen pies to carry me.
Herbert Adams Frozen Gourmet King Island Beef In Rich Gravy Pie  2 pack 420g

The weather is definitely cooling down ...not even reaching 30 today and most days 31 only mid afternoon.

Last edited:
Haven't had a good meat pie or sausage roll in a few years now... making me hungry.
I think my friend knows a place, if I recall it was Australian meat pies. I’ll get the info

I suppose you could list that on your immigration to Australia application. 😇

Here you go ...scratch that itch

Last edited:
Now this is a treat ...a day off from work and no rain forecast
Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at Jan, 23    2022    4.30.19 AM.jpg
I think a longer day riding in order up to the Table lands. ...now where's my celebrex. :D
Well of course its raining but early yet
Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at Jan, 23    2022    6.28.59 AM.jpg...will wait for a break on the radar and scurry up the mountain.
Mareeba is sunniest town in Queensland and going a bit further west and explore that new area at leisure.
Prefer not to get soaked as chilly enough to be annoying as I dry off.

Last edited:
Ended up with a longish ride ...235 KM part through the new area near Dimbulah. Mango season just about done but lots of banana plantations on the go. Tired pup but enjoyed it. Mostly figured out the helmet - relationship between the chin bar and the visor a bit hard to sort but when it is locked in pretty nice bubble at speed. Rode without sunglasses and just used the sun visor plus the main visor. Was surprised it did not fog at all in the rain even fully closed so they have the ventilation sorted.
Now I need to clean it properly since I know how to remove it.

Nother good looking day tomorrow ...high of 32 and sun cloud combo with no rain forecast. Use it or lose ...need more riding...will also need more fuel. I think a shorter ride up the coast to the north hit my fav sheltered picnic table with better wifi than home. 120 km up and back and an enjoyable ride along the Pacific coast. See how I feel - might extend it out to Daintree village or even across the ferry since it is free.

If I get out early that might be worthwhile - that would be 280 out and back with slow the other side of the ferry but easy enjoyable riding otherwise and I'm really engaged in The Expanse Book 7 ( again :rolleyes: ) With the new helmet the audio through the Shures is clearer even at speed.
My only concern with the helmet is the chin bar lock seems too easy to release but I think it only happens when I flip the visor open. The mechanism seems to think you are going to flip the bar over. 🤨

The helmet is quiet enough either way tho when the chin bar is up the visor lets in a fair bit of rain on my lower face. Closed up ...might as well be in a dedicated full face which I guess was their design goal.

Also discovered I can charge the Shures while riding which is a good thing as sometimes I forget to plug them in when I get home. Being able to charge from the power brick while still using them is a good thing.

Just need to ride more frequently - too many things ache if I don't 🧓

Kookaburras up being noisy. Light shower went by ..inclined for a couple hours more sleep as won't be that hot today and ride along the coast is always a consistent temperature with this wind direction. Riding shirt is stinky anyways so one more round won't make it worst. Of course Hasties Swamp is also a potential but maybe further than I want.
Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at Jan, 24    2022    5.40.05 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at Jan, 24    2022    5.38.57 AM.jpg
Need to ride today as a least a couple of days off the table.
Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at Jan, 24    2022    5.36.23 AM.jpg

So my daughter leaves for Sydney on the 27th. We are really going to miss her. Will be working at Watson's Bay Boutique Hotel Restaurant.

It seems to rain a fare bit where you are. Is it the same for Sydney?

Hehe I think it's shorter for you to drive to Florida than Cairns to Sydney
Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at Jan, 24    2022    12.07.11 PM.jpg
We are in the wet rainforest tropics...3 months quite wet and warm and the rest just lovely.
Right on The Great Barrier Reef
You want to come over and do this with family - was a fantastic experience with my daughter.
Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at Jan, 24    2022    12.16.13 PM.jpg

We don't even have heat in the house tho it can get to mid teens in what passes for winter.
Sydney is much more temperate and of course drop dead gorgeous

Plan accordingly and be prepared for sticker shock on some aspects.

Last edited:
Haha. Yea 27 hours is more then here to Florida.
When my wife was kid they had family come from Scotland for a visit. They asked if they could go to Florida for a weekend. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Europeans rarely understand the distances...either in Ontario or Queensland. It's 1600 km to drive to the capital Brisbane and the cape goes another 1000 km north of us ...still in the same state.

Worse than Ontario for size.

Last edited:
Did not get much rain today tho more predicted this evening.

screen-shot-2022-01-25-at-jan-25-2022-6-16-17-pm-jpg.94499

the deluge is coming tho...the wavy lines are flash flood warnings. Stay home and work and watch the Australian Open.

Our Canadian tennis boy gave Nadal a scare.

Reminds me when I was watchng a very early Aus open when Roger was unstoppable and this unknown Spanish teenager gave him a scare. The video feeds were sooooo awful.
The rest of course is history.

Busy but productive day getting well wishes from 37 years of clients and even some nice orders as we move into transition at the end of the month.

Score ...Adams pies on half price tomorrow...just need to navigate the rain to stock up. $4.25 for two pieces is a deal. Can pig without regret at cost ...just have to find freezer room
Figure I've got my lunches for a while.
1643100258090.png
Meanwhile tasty vegan meatballs for supper. Very happy with the taste on these.
1643100544110.png

Last edited:
Work work work ...no rain ....grrrrr until now :rolleyes: Feels lovely and cool/
Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at Jan, 28    2022    2.04.48 PM.jpg
up to 11 mm in 3 hours early tomorrow....4.4 in 3 hours that's going some.
Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at Jan, 28    2022    6.08.01 PM.jpg
13.6" by early morning ...that's flooding level.

Last edited:
Feel good moment for Australia with home town girl and World #1 Ash Barty wins the Australian Open. She cruised through the first set and then down 5-1 in second with an invigorated opponent looking strong....Ash kept her cool and showed why she's top dog and won the second 7-6 ....not dropping a set the entire tournament. (y) First Australian woman to win the tournament in 44 years and she's now knocked off Wimbleton, Roland Garros and now at home. Enjoyable tennis to watch.
She rarely shows her emotions but tonight she did.
1643453261761.png

Riding tomorrow I think as rain less than forecast.

Gorgeous morning ...off to grocery pickup at 8 am and then a decent ride north. (y)

Could not stay awake last night and Nadal was down two sets....so sleep time.
Then this morning :eek: Never could have stayed awake or predicted that marathon. Good on him. Still have memories of him giving Roger a scare when Nadal was just a newcomer at the same tournament....too many years ago to contemplate.

Rafael Nadal wins record 21st major with five-set defeat of Daniil Medvedev in Australian Open final​

By Luke Pentony at Melbourne Park
Posted 5h ago5 hours ago, updated 7m ago
1643571140183.png

Good ride - 200+ KM - happy with the new helmet tho was getting a headache part way home then realized I was wearing my sunglasses which are a bit tight with the Shark...apparently it has some sort of adjustment for glasses...have to look it up.
Odd issue with the visor ..could not clean it properly with detergent and microfibre which usually worked fine.
Had a KFC handcleaner in the topcase and tried that and that took whatever film was on there off.
The sun visor cleans okay ....was just the main visor :unsure:
It's very quiet at speed when the full face is set up ....still cannot do it riding ...have to stop and use both hands to bring in from the back.
Can put it to the back with one hand.
Not a big deal.

Was very quiet a Daintree village. Another biker couple and few take aways ...was nice to sit outside and have a leisurely feed on a farmed top predator ( croc spring rolls ). Tasty.

29c at 10 pm = ac on to sleep but cooling down later with showers.

Last edited:
Ah biz sale is mostly complete ...so into a new phase of my business life after 37 years as owner of MacDoc.com ...stlll retained my first client which I counted as a win.
Little easier schedule now and freedom to ride.

What Australia is doing about empty shelves. Those road trains move fast and kick up crazy vorticies. Nail biting to pass on 130 kph 2 lane and not so fun to stay behind.

1643763963515.png

1643763950533.png

They are not allowed in urban areas but we're far enough out that we see double headers fairly often;

Not too bad with a few blasts of inland heat- 34 today feels like 49!!!! 🥵
but Tstorms should clear it out. 26 overnight - very nice.

Might get a ride tomorrow up the range before it gets too warm ..some showers but don't care. Happy with helmet ....wonder if I can get some RainX for Plastic here.
Yep
1643787875825.png

Finally got out ..cooler actually verging on chilly but zero traffic on a Sunday morning....relaxing ride to Millaa Millaa and definitely not a swimming day.
Of course the fuel station was closed but I'll get to the next one as it's down the range and only 29 km and the last bar just started flashing so should have twice that left.
Nother rider two up showed up to be disappointed ...Africa Twin I think so hopefully he has enough range.
Relaxing ride, new helmet still a bit tight with sunglasses on and there is some sort of film on the visor from the factory that rolls up when you rub it. Not thrilled with that - likely some photochromatic coating and I don't like them. Just on the outside
Good to get out tho ...lots of bikes at the meetup roadhouse near
Cool device showed on my table along with a very tasty burger with too big a bun ...peeled most away.
Good single latte in one of those neat double walled cups.
Screen Shot 2022-02-06 at Feb, 6    2022    10.02.58 AM.jpg

Really nice chat with an eccentric fellow a little younger ..old BMW rider...anti-vax but with some good sense and lots of common ground about ecology which is what he does...sustainable farming expert....Kiss the Ground type stuff so we had a great chat for 40 min or so. Of course he can't be served here and he did not mind that.
I was surprised he didn't know about the Shoo Away anti-fly device either.
Even cynical partner thought it a good idea...some people take them with them to eat out.

Sun is out and it's warming up at 11 am. Up to 24 at Milla Milla - some scattered very light showers but half sun and cloud. Brilliant riding weather. Now just have to nurse the throttle to the fuel pump.
Screen Shot 2022-02-06 at Feb, 6    2022    10.59.48 AM.jpg
376 km and still had more than a liter left ...I'm sure I could get 400km out of 13 liters but think I won't try that.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom