Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia | Page 37 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia

Nice in the office now but going to 37 real today ....early morning ride in order. Hopefully Hot Springs tomorrow for a longer jaunt leaving early. Partner says be careful with Pfizer shot tomorrow.

Partner tested negative .(y)..needs another test Sat to go out and also has to wear a mask for 6 days everywhere.
Not an issue for a surgical nurse but still glad she is negative.

Damn 31 at 9 am and stupid humid ...did one errand to pick up minor groceries and done ...totally soaked with sweat despite 20 min shopping in full ac. 🥵
Tucked into my ac room and bingeing movies.
It's the cyclone to the south that is sucking hot air from the interior as it rarely goes past 33 here.
The surfers further south are lovin' it

Only other day I recall it felt like this was in Western Cape ...the Little Karoo desert and was 45 real but very dry.....open a car window and felt like a blast furnance.

The other time was driving south from Paris non-stop in a cute baby Mercedes ...it was late spring and Paris was nice and we crossed the central massif without stopping aiming for the Cote-d'Azure. The little diesel trucked along very well at 160 kph and sipped fuel so the kids ran out of bladder before the car needed a fill ...opened the doors....wham 40+ ...turned around and went back to the mountains.

Last edited:
Nice in the office now but going to 37 real today ....early morning ride in order. Hopefully Hot Springs tomorrow for a longer jaunt leaving early. Partner says be careful with Pfizer shot tomorrow.

Partner tested negative .(y)..needs another test Sat to go out and also has to wear a mask for 6 days everywhere.
Not an issue for a surgical nurse but still glad she is negative.

Damn 31 at 9 am and stupid humid ...did one errand to pick up minor groceries and done ...totally soaked with sweat despite 20 min shopping in full ac. 🥵
Tucked into my ac room and bingeing movies.
It's the cyclone to the south that is sucking hot air from the interior as it rarely goes past 33 here.
The surfers further south are lovin' it

Only other day I recall it felt like this was in Western Cape ...the Little Karoo desert and was 45 real but very dry.....open a car window and felt like a blast furnance.

The other time was driving south from Paris non-stop in a cute baby Mercedes ...it was late spring and Paris was nice and we crossed the central massif without stopping aiming for the Cote-d'Azure. The little diesel trucked along very well at 160 kph and sipped fuel so the kids ran out of bladder before the car needed a fill ...opened the doors....wham 40+ ...turned around and went back to the mountains.
Gold coast surf always goes off after a cyclone in the north. School would be half empty the next day as we'd all be at the beach with our boards instead ... good times.

Nice on the deck now at 2.30 am - down to 27 heading to 24.-
Trying to curb my craving for a good meat pie with a microwave version and it's actually not bad for $2.
Famous Beef Pies 4 PACK - Mrs Mac's

Family-owned bakery baking since 1954 | Mrs Mac's'
468 calories which is high for a snack and 46 carbs - decent protein at 15 gm. But good mouth feel and it satisfied me. Neat trick they do to get the crust crisp - it was okay and could have done anothe 15 sec thos it comes out very hot...it gets cooked in the sleeve which browns and crisps it. Does not replace the Falls Teahouse treat at $14 but also not 130 km away. Just have to becareful with the calories.

Last edited:
Nice on the deck now at 2.30 am - down to 27 heading to 24.-
Trying to curb my craving for a good meat pie with a microwave version and it's actually not bad for $2.
Famous Beef Pies 4 PACK - Mrs Mac's

Family-owned bakery baking since 1954 | Mrs Mac's'
468 calories which is high for a snack and 46 carbs - decent protein at 15 gm. But good mouth feel and it satisfied me. Neat trick they do to get the crust crisp - it was okay and could have done anothe 15 sec thos it comes out very hot...it gets cooked in the sleeve which browns and crisps it. Does not replace the Falls Teahouse treat at $14 but also not 130 km away. Just have to becareful with the calories.
Haven't had a good meat pie or sausage roll in a few years now... making me hungry.

Everytime I look a photo of a good steak pie I get hungry and I'm typing this just before lunch. Our Bowls Club up the street I found out makes their own and I've encouraged them to have it on the menu more often. Pretty much on par with the one at the Falls Teahouse.
Should be riding as last decent day for a while - even have my moto-skivvies on but work also calls and it's nice under the fan with just those on ...no photos available. :rolleyes:

Screen Shot 2022-01-08 at Jan, 8    2022    11.24.08 AM.jpg
There is a cyclone potential again but I think local rides better for now til end of January as workload high. Partner working again after covid test negative so dog and I on our own for the day.

Got it out of my system ...tiring run as usual with doing the Gillies both ways but mostly enjoyable ...tiniest bit of rain and quite tolerable temps on the Tablelands....a little bit of new territory tho a connecting road turned to gravel and had to retrace a few KM to the main highway.

Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at Jan, 9    2022    6.53.10 PM.jpg
Lotsa rain on the way 2-4 inches each day for the next two as that low level cyclone lurches east above us.
4 hours after I arrived home ...getting wet already - coming down pretty hard - might have trouble hearing the TV ...damn tin roof.
Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at Jan, 9    2022    7.03.42 PM.jpg
Glad I chose today for a long ride....actually got my boots wet on a few paved stream crossings, ( dips ) which are common everywhere even on the major highways.
Bundy region roads open again after flash flooding | The Courier Mail

Used to have fun on the KLR on some ....not sure on the CB300 if it is prone to stalling out. KLR would if I got too much bow wave but always started. Had to dodge a few rain drilled potholes - can be perfect pavement and you need to have an eye out.

And this is a highway! How bad is pothole problem? | The Grey Nomads |  Travel & Holiday Information Australia : Road Trips, Caravans & Motorhomes
Potholes Posters | Redbubble

That last cyclone got swells to 9M!! further south...:oops:
Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at Jan, 9    2022    7.15.12 PM.jpg
🍿🍿

Last edited:
Glad this missed tho we getting lots of rain.
1641773885977.png

South of us 24" in 24 hrs ...:eek:

Last edited:
Just barely got out between heavy showers. New helmet arrived
Full face or 3/4 ...neat trick and very comfortable... they got this one correct.
Damn Shark cheek pads turns me to a guppy...
Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at Jan, 12    2022    1.06.08 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2022-01-12 at Jan, 12    2022    1.05.32 PM.jpg
meanwhile supply chain woes hits Cairns...this was the worst section but I'd guess the store was 1/2 empty of stock ( think a mid size Loblaws )
1641957557498-png.52876

day for goodies

Got my hoodie today from Itchy Boots... heavier material than I thought. Feels good but not for 29 and 100% humidity.

Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at Jan, 12    2022    2.30.41 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at Jan, 12    2022    1.05.32 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at Jan, 12 2022 1.05.32 PM.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 1641957557498.png
    1641957557498.png
    546.7 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Very civilized today ...high upper 20s , no rain , good breeze.

Elsewhere in Australia tho..:eek:

a couple of years ago they had to move the climate/weather map ranges to accommodate +50 temps.

1642064926710.png

You can see how areodynamic the Shark stays when the chin piece is flipped over the back. It's a one hand operation - easy when riding tho it is a tad stiff now. Really like the sun shade which is operated from the top of the helmet.
The flipped over chin bar latches securely so does not rattle. I do have a faint whistle I have to track down.
1642065176974.png

Last edited:
Last edited:
Well rested, no work needing immediate attention, nice temp in the morning and little rain forecast. (y)
Time for a ride..give the new helmet a work out.
Even found my missing Shure Bluetooth EIMs - got knocked off the desk but did not reach the floor - hung on a power cable not obvious. Will charge them while riding and try out the Pioneer Rayz in the new helmet.
Happy I located the Shures...don't think that model is available anymore.

Checked the tire pressure which was down to 25 and 26 - falling at the same time so likely the alternating very hot weather and then cooling. The Compressor seems to show higher than the TPMS so will go with the TPMS as reference.

Pretty happy with the compressor tho ...easy to use and cable storage is good and cables are long.
Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at Jan, 17    2022    7.40.30 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Bad inversion and between 30c at 8 am and lingering garbage truck odours could not wait to get out of the city. Snagged the little grocery order then headed up the Gillies tho it did not get much cooler up there this time
Had tea and scones..sat and enjoyed the lake. Good to get out. Some sorting to do with the helmet as can hear the motor.
Figured out where the minor whistle was coming from in the Shark so no issue there. Visor and sunscreen worked well and the helmet is designed for those wearing glasses so sunglasses were comfortable as well and not interfering with the visor. Visor up there was just a little pressure on my neck at speed .... not a dea breaker.
Was just a tad tight on the head so I ditched the balaclava - it will loosen any ways. Rode open face as could not get the chin bar latched, it was noiser with the bar down as I expected...3/4 are usually the quietest.

Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at Jan, 17    2022    10.33.49 AM.jpg

Covid cost me a Falls Teahouse pie :(
1642440147753.png

Last edited:
Talked it over with partner and we think there is just too much covid in the community and no real need for me to go out riding or grocery runs until this settles down.Why Do Turtles Hide In Their Shells? (Contrary Scientific Evidence)
She's the nurse, knows how to protect herself and wants to keep working and will do a weekly grocery run. I have lots to do closing off the business deal so I'll take a hiatus.
But then again might get restless next week. The heat is a bit of negative for riding anyways tho I hate to give up sunny days. Only so many left in my riding career

Well I'm modifying my turtle regime to Pick and Collect orders plus I want to tweak the helmet so I'll do an early run up the coast tomorrow, see how the helmet is with the usual EIMs and grab the order on the way home before it gets hot.
Then partner can do main shop on Friday.
invented in Australia

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom