Riding an e-scooter in Toronto? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding an e-scooter in Toronto?

You may face fines of up to $25,000 or up to six months in prison

Another bull$hit law from the City of Toronto coming your way!
Why is it BS? Seems a little punitive but escooters are illegal in toronto (and always have been). If they don't enforce the illegality, laws don't matter. As Toronto has proven not to have the will or manpower to deal with the menace of ebikes, adding more vehicles to the list that they can't effectively police seems unwise.

They don't enforce for ebikes why bother with scooters?

Last edited:
So instead of pulling this guy over and ticketing him, he makes a TikTok and watches while they zips in and out of traffic in the middle lane?

$25,000 and or up to six months in prison is BS
Up to. When was the last time you saw a max penalty handed out for a bylaw or hta infraction? Prison does seem to be a bit much, not sure why they went that far. My guess is a scare tactic. Most DUI's dont even get prison.

EDIT:
So I read the article. That is just the normal sentence for a motor vehicle without insurance. Nothing to see here at all.

Last edited:
We've got a guy around here on one of those BC Quest for Tires things. I've seen him slow it for a stop sign, but I'm not sure how or if it could come to a sudden halt.

Edit: might be a Segwey One or similar, but I'm not sure.

We've got a guy around here on one of those BC Quest for Tires things. I've seen him slow it for a stop sign, but I'm not sure how or if it could come to a sudden halt.

Edit: might be a Segwey One or similar, but I'm not sure.
Some of those can get close to 60 mph. It would be a *&^^show in an evasive maneuver at that speed. Max lean angle is determined by motor power (well wheel torque which is determined by motor power and gearing but gearing is fixed). Exceed the power of the motor and you get dumped as it can no longer try to balance.

If you've never heard of BC's Quest for Tires, here's a screenshot:
maxresdefault.jpg

I think it's actually Thor and not BC, who's riding the wheel.

If you've never heard of BC's Quest for Tires, here's a screenshot:
maxresdefault.jpg

I think it's actually Thor and not BC, who's riding the wheel.
Yup. We are talking about the same thing. This one does 56 mph if your stones dont get caught in the tire.

INMOTION_V13_EUC_7__15546.1660615834.jpg

Some of those can get close to 60 mph. It would be a *&^^show in an evasive maneuver at that speed. Max lean angle is determined by motor power (well wheel torque which is determined by motor power and gearing but gearing is fixed). Exceed the power of the motor and you get dumped as it can no longer try to balance.
I have one...I can hit top speed of 80kmh in about 5 seconds. Doesn't stop well, can't imagine hitting anything would be fun.

25 kmh is a realistic top speed for safe operation. Travelling at 80 on a scoot is like riding a motorcycle at 200.

I have one...I can hit top speed of 80kmh in about 5 seconds. Doesn't stop well, can't imagine hitting anything would be fun.

25 kmh is a realistic top speed for safe operation. Travelling at 80 on a scoot is like riding a motorcycle at 200.
You have a scooter or a onewheel?

You have a scooter or a onewheel?
DT Storm, 2 wheels, 2.2kwh, 72v, 83kmh top speed, 80km range.

Got it from one of my wheel suppliers in China (they make them under contract) I'll dig it out and do a video this week. It's stupid.

Last edited:
I'd rather go 80 km/h on a scooter than a onewheel. At least it has some stability in one direction and I can jump it a little if necessary.
You're in the danger zone above 30kmk unless you're on a closed course. The are not maneuverable, and the don't stop well.

Im in wide open York Region so they are workable. I can see why the dont work on Toronto's congested sidewalks or bike lanes.

You're in the danger zone above 30kmk unless you're on a closed course. The are not maneuverable, and the don't stop well.

Im in wide open York Region so they are workable. I can see why the dont work on Toronto's congested sidewalks or bike lanes.
Well technically, yours isnt a legal scooter anywhere in Ontario (on public land). Like ebikes, there are a list of criteria and yours doesnt comply. IIRC scooters are limited to 24 km/h.

I think, it would be a bit more acceptable, IF the fines were put in a special fund, to compensate those who are hit and injured by one of these.

But realistically, It is just another law that won't see any enforcement. Even then IF a ticket were issued, good luck finding a bleeding heart liberal judge who would impose that level of punishment.

A few years ago, 2018, a friend's son was murdered in his apartment during an attempted home invasion. The perps (16 year old shooter, and 29 year old that was the "mastermind"), were sentenced to 4.5 years for the shooter, and 9 years. So if you can kill someone and get off so lightly, does anyone actually think a $25,000 fine levied for this.....

Had a scooter fly past me on a pedestrian bridge yesterday. Guess it was too far to take the vehicle bridge, and bicycles are allowed, nobody's going to enforce it, so why not?

Had a scooter fly past me on a pedestrian bridge yesterday. Guess it was too far to take the vehicle bridge, and bicycles are allowed, nobody's going to enforce it, so why not?
It will be interesting to see how injuries in those circumstance play out. If you were riding a bicycle, your home insurance liability coverage should cover you. If you are riding an unlicensed motor vehicle, I expect insurance will tell you you're on your own. Expensive lesson in being an ass.

Back
Top Bottom