rider on Hyosung 250GT who skid on the entry ramp onto DVP at 6:10pm today | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

rider on Hyosung 250GT who skid on the entry ramp onto DVP at 6:10pm today

GWS ye crazy Soviet! Remember what we told you.. Never chicken out of a turn. Still waiting for my buddy to get back to me with Ken's cell.

FiReSTaRT, In Soviet Russia you dont ride a motorcycle, a motorcycle rides you, and that's what happened :) Another thing that might have happened if i would have amde the turn, i would not had enough time to stop before hitting a slowing down van, all happened too fast. BTW, I've got all the info from Ken and Chris, so it's all good.

VDK, yeah, that's a good advice, most of the time i follow it, but this time it did not turned out quite as i expected.

Good thing that i only had really minor bruise on the knee, the helmet didnt take any punishment at all, but the jacket and boots did, but that's what they are for.

The left handed corner is deceiving and it has a crest. I got surprised on that corner a couple days ago.

In general, the DVP, and some of the on ramps are deceptive and can be very easy to cause an accident. There are many off-camber corners and turns with crests that can unsettle a vehicle.

I am glad to hear you are okay.

hehe yeah, that was me on the hyo, what a fun experience that was. Being a new rider looks like i had to learn the hard way.......................l and also advised not to be discouraged from riding again. Funny thing is that i wanted to take additional riding lessons, but i guess it's too late now.
FoRo my bro. Glad you are alright. Never too late to take classes. Plus, it takes even experienced riders to know how each bike behaves around corners and its power delivery.

I actually found a vid showing you a fall very similar to yours. Just that your motorcycle did not flip as you had less inertia. Check it out, will help you recollect the moment you actuated the brake :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTIOSryx9NU

Arun, yeah, i've seen this and the other videos as well, trying to learn from them as much as i can, too bad i did not have my go pro with me this time, that would have been a great video on how not to take corners :) Experience is everything, but getting there might be a rough way for some and even rougher for others. :D

Arun, yeah, i've seen this and the other videos as well, trying to learn from them as much as i can, too bad i did not have my go pro with me this time, that would have been a great video on how not to take corners :) Experience is everything, but getting there might be a rough way for some and even rougher for others. :D

Yeah yeah yeah kiddo.. Time for some of us, older hooligans, to take you under our wing and teach you a thing or two about keeping the right (shiny, i think) side up :cool:

Hope you heal up fast and don't be afraid of taking more courses. I'm taking an intro to track course in June to make me a better rider on the road.

OMG all these pics of the GS500 is making me want to rip of my farings even more. They are so ugly and the bike looks sick when it's naked!!!

Hell, I got surprised by a corner today. I was in a group on a road I've taken many times, except the opposite way, and a sharp downhill right came out of nowhere. I braked as much as I felt I could (Tires put on 120km ago), then let off the brakes and turned in, but I still cut about a foot into the oncoming lane. It was more scary in what could have happened if there was a car there, I'd be a nice little hood ornament.

Just a reminder so others don't make the same mistake:
- Go wide in your turns and turn in late so you can correct your line for any dead animals or crap on the turn (this means that you don't enter the turn sticking to the white inside line. Enter the turn closer to the outside line)

- You can shave off speed while turning, but be VERY cautious with your brakes (try to do the braking while your bike is straight and before the turn)

- Unless you have impeccable throttle control and know your bike well, keep a constant throttle until the mid-point of the turn and don't open it up until after the mid-point

- As a general rule of thumb, it's most likely safer to lean further than to panic brake. Motorcycle tires have come a long way.

- Learn how to hang off. I always shift my weight over in case something comes up where I need to correct my line

- The most crucial part of braking is the initial squeeze that transfers weight to the front.

- Most importantly: learn your bike and how it performs/handles. Everything from braking to accelerating should always be smooth unless you already know the thresholds.

Great advice. Since I ride a v-twin I let the engine do most of the braking. If I feel I am going in too hot, I still haven't used the brakes so I have that safety margin going for me.

That "style" of riding has saved my *** numerous times. Also, I am not a fan of pushing my limit on the street. I did that on the track last year and it was way more fun.

Just a reminder so others don't make the same mistake:
- Go wide in your turns and turn in late so you can correct your line for any dead animals or crap on the turn (this means that you don't enter the turn sticking to the white inside line. Enter the turn closer to the outside line)

Not sure I agree with this. On any corner the oil, coolant and debris from countless vehicles will get slung off by centrifugal force towards the outside lane of the turn. The inside lane will be cleaner and less likely to contain items that would require avoidance manouevers.

Hey Gummie, I think it is debatable. I almost feel like we're splitting hairs here, because I think you have a good point. However, I personally like starting with the outside line for a couple reasons:
1) it sometimes gives a better sightline as to what is around the bend
2) as I am turning in, it I am on the inside, I am closer to the painted lines. I paranoid about those nowadays in the rain and prefer to avoid them. As a result, I kind of like starting on the outside of the turn so that if I need to tighten my turn, I am not crossing the painted line.

But really, I think it can go either way. Perhaps experience (of which you have much more than me) is what really defines what is better more often.

Hey Gummie, I think it is debatable. I almost feel like we're splitting hairs here, because I think you have a good point. However, I personally like starting with the outside line for a couple reasons:
1) it sometimes gives a better sightline as to what is around the bend
2) as I am turning in, it I am on the inside, I am closer to the painted lines. I paranoid about those nowadays in the rain and prefer to avoid them. As a result, I kind of like starting on the outside of the turn so that if I need to tighten my turn, I am not crossing the painted line.

It all depends on the type of turn, really. Your method is the same one I use for cruising speed around curves on highways, with a better sightline being the prime reason. But I was actually referring to freeway on/off ramps in my original post; very sharp and abrupt corners, usually on an incline, but with the advantage of (usually) a clear line of sight all the way around. My bad, I should have been more clear.

Personally I have never seen a posted ramp speed limit sign that is too fast for a bike to negotiate the ramp safely. Not sure what the ramp speed was in this case, but if you aren't a confident rider, stick at or below the limit posted.

is it just me or this sounds ridiculous?

When you take a corner that requires deceleration, do you downshift before or after you complete your corner?

Some would argue engine braking is hard on the clutch or driveline, but only if you can't match the revs. If you can match the revs properly it is no different than letting off the throttle when at high rpm. For me personally, the engine on my SV provides ample braking for my riding style. In traffic I feather the front brake sometimes just to trigger my brake light switch but not enough to actually provide any braking force on the front end.

Why, good sir, would you suggest that engine braking is ridiculous?

When you take a corner that requires deceleration, do you downshift before or after you complete your corner?

Some would argue engine braking is hard on the clutch or driveline, but only if you can't match the revs. If you can match the revs properly it is no different than letting off the throttle when at high rpm. For me personally, the engine on my SV provides ample braking for my riding style. In traffic I feather the front brake sometimes just to trigger my brake light switch but not enough to actually provide any braking force on the front end.

Why, good sir, would you suggest that engine braking is ridiculous?

By the sounds of it, he doesn't know what engine breaking is... or thought it ment something else.

he said he uses engine to do MOST of the braking. i said its a bit ridiculous cuz it's the brakes' job, not the engine. but then he went on and explained that he rev matches so i guess its alright.

Back
Top Bottom