Rider down "accidents" - Can anything be learned? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rider down "accidents" - Can anything be learned?

Better off riding with no lights than hi beams.

Don't be that dick riding with blinding lights.
I dont find halogen high beams during the day to be at all blinding. I havent had a problem with led/hid during the day either, but I could see them being annoying (although much less annoying during the day than every retrofit bulb ever at night even when on low).

You are wanting to be seen but you are blinding ppl lol.

It’s a false sense of security anyways.

Ride like you are invisible.

No one's blinding anyone during the day with high beams on a bike.

Approaching an intersection with someone ready to make a left turn in opposing traffic, who do you think he'll see better? The bike with 1. no light on, 2. low beam on, or 3. high beam on?

#3. End of story. My safety and life are way more important than some minor annoyance (if that) to a 2 ton killing machine where the usual thing out of the drivers mouth after turning right in front of you and putting you in an ambulance is SMIDSY.

I dont find halogen high beams during the day to be at all blinding. I havent had a problem with led/hid during the day either, but I could see them being annoying (although much less annoying during the day than every retrofit bulb ever at night even when on low).
I have one halogen and one LED, they are different colors bright white and bright bluish white -- I've had several people say the notice me coming with the two different colors. Don't know if this will ever save me, but it's interesting that people say they notice.

people say they notice.
And THAT is how we survive to enjoy another ride.

Having said what I have, there may be a time when bikes have those really bright bulbs like I see on the newer Acuras but at that point, hi beams may be moot as the low beams are noticeable enough. None of my 2 bikes has that.

And THAT is how we survive to enjoy another ride.

Having said what I have, there may be a time when bikes have those really bright bulbs like I see on the newer Acuras but at that point, hi beams may be moot as the low beams are noticeable enough. None of my 2 bikes has that.
aren't they LEDs? Bikes have them now.

My issue is the 'box' thrown by some of them is terrible for turns.

aren't they LEDs? Bikes have them now.

My issue is the 'box' thrown by some of them is terrible for turns.
They are but some higher end cars have lights that are just on a different level in terms of brightness.

Can you better tell the speed and distance of a light source shining in your eyes? I think no.

Can you better tell the speed and distance of a light source shining in your eyes? I think no.
They're not shining in your eyes though. If I was literally 10 ft in front of you, yeah they might but I'm not. There's different levels of brightness. It's not just at the extremes (none and sear-your-eyeballs) and my bikes are in the happy middle somewhere as I'm sure most are.

I'm as respectful as most towards other people and I live by the motto to treat others as I'd like to be treated so I'm far from 1 of those self-entitled types that doesn't give a crap about what others think. I do and if I thought this was annoying to others I would've been indicated as much by other drivers.

In fact, I've had maybe 2-3 cars flash me in the 5 years I've been riding that way - this isn't extreme guys but hey to each their own just be safe and make yourself as visible as your conscience allows you to be. Just don't put a perceived minor annoyance to a very few others (from my experience) above your own life.

They're not shining in your eyes though. If I was literally 10 ft in front of you, yeah they might but I'm not. There's different levels of brightness. It's not just at the extremes (none and sear-your-eyeballs) and my bikes are in the happy middle somewhere as I'm sure most are.

I'm as respectful as most towards other people and I live by the motto to treat others as I'd like to be treated so I'm far from 1 of those self-entitled types that doesn't give a crap about what others think. I do and if I thought this was annoying to others I would've been indicated as much by other drivers.

In fact, I've had maybe 2-3 cars flash me in the 5 years I've been riding that way - this isn't extreme guys but hey to each their own just be safe and make yourself as visible as your conscience allows you to be. Just don't put a perceived minor annoyance to a very few others (from my experience) above your own life.
So if you started getting flashed daily by other drivers you would stop?

So if you started getting flashed daily by other drivers you would stop?
Absolutely. I'd likely go low beams and add driving LED's aimed lower in that case. Win-win at that point as no blinding of oncoming traffic and I'd still be visible more than otherwise. In fact, if I knew I could add LED's easily I would ... may research it further over the off-season. If anyone has insight in the area, please share.

The only difference between a light source in daytime and that same light source at night,
is the amount of pupil dilation or constriction in your eyes.

Headlights have a focused beam that should Not be directed into the eyes of the opposing traffic.
:| unless you really do want to increase the likelihood of a problem.

Those headlights that flash on and off all the time <- they suck!
They are totally awful to deal with when one is following you, or approaching from the front along with a number of other vehicles and should be banned for the same reason you can't just go and put flashing red lights all over your vehicle.

:sneaky: but everybody already knows this, so I'm not even sure now why I mentioned it.

Today I learned that 2 large dogs running at full speed into the back of your legs,
feels about the same as getting hit by a small motorcycle ?

They put me on my ass faster then a wheelie gone bad ?
from now on it's ATGATT for walking the psycho dogs.

Back
Top Bottom