Ride Report: Yours to Discover to BC | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ride Report: Yours to Discover to BC

We need more reports like this. Good that you took the time and effort. Most people, as in life, are quiet and will look/read but not speak up and say thanks. Many riders are on the quiet side. I'm saying thanks on behalf of all riders unable to respond who did appreciate your report. ADVrider is another place to post your report and increase Canadian tourism among the 'Mericans.

Years ago I travelled from Calgary to Edmonton and decided to take the scenic tour up to Banff and Jasper in a great out-of-the-way loop rather than take the direct route, but well worth it. So having spent the last week of August in Calgary in 25+ heat I travelled up to the Rockies after labour day at Lake Louise and Banff. Imagine that gut-wrenching feeling at the pit of your stomach when the road sign says "Chains mandatory after September 1" and it's one day after Labour Day! You feel the blood drain from your face, thinking that the worst kind of snowstorm will happen at any moment, not familiar with local weather and you momentarily tell yourself you should probably turn back and get to lower ground. But being that adventure rider you just shrug it off and forget about it. (y)You tell yourself that you're dreaming or are somehow mistaken. Today's more recent rules are relaxed with either snow tires or chains mandatory after November 1. Better and more frequent snow-plowing I guess. It also may be a factor of global warming and it no longer snows there in September?

Later on, that trip prepared me for the Alps where there are frequent road or seasonal closures of mountain passes, especially the higher elevations of Switzerland where signal lights at the base of mountains tell you if the mountain pass, several kilometres away, are open or closed. When I was there in the first week of September, the innkeeper said there was one meter of snow predicted that night and seeing I was on a motorcycle said that I should leave his hotel and get to the lower valley, but I stayed and it only snowed a few centimetres. and it melted by 10 am after breakfast. This year there were lots of freakish summer snowstorms in the Alps, and not a good time to travel in the high altitudes. If you enjoyed the Rockies and its scenery you will love the Alps, so save up and report back.

So glad i found this ride report. Read the whole thing in one seating. Awesome write up and pictures. Super inspiring...

I didn't recall reading this thanks for resurrection. Very well done OP. (y)
Well apparently I did read it 2 years back. Joys of getting old...everything you forget is fresh again. 🤪

Back
Top Bottom