Ride for Sight gets mixed reviews....Orillia newspaper | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ride for Sight gets mixed reviews....Orillia newspaper

Poppapepper

Site Supporter
http://www.orilliapacket.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3179001

Ride for Sight gets mixed reviews
Neighbours were unhappy with burnouts, but others say the event will have a lasting positive impact on tourism
By MIRANDA MINASSIAN The Packet & Times

City officials may have high praise for the Ride for Life event held over the weekend, but reviews from residents within earshot of Tudhope Park aren't as glowing.

Stanley Crescent resident Cathy Austin is concerned that parties in the park could become the new norm.

"The noise from the stage wasn't offensive because we are used to Mariposa, but we don't want to live across from party central," she said. "I don't want to end up with a festival every weekend."

She, like other residents in the area, raised concerns about overall noise levels, as well as the volume and damage done by riders performing burnouts — an intentional spinning of the back tire while the vehicle remains stationary.

"There were hundreds of people camping there and consequently made a lot of noise," Austin said. "You can't control that, and that's why we don't want them in a residential area."

Austin also objected to the trail being closed to residents for the duration of the event.

While she isn't opposed to seeing the Ride for Sight return to Orillia, Austin would like to see the festival moved out of Tudhope Park.

"The Orillia Fairgrounds could be used or Burl's Creek. There is lots of camping space there and it is out in the country," she said. "I'm glad they are raising money for a worthwhile cause, and I don't want to take away from that, but I don't think Tudhope is the best place."

As a taxpayer, she doesn't want to see the economic benefit from the event overpower the cost that she and her neighbors have paid, Austin said.

"It isn't fair to those of us that live in the area," she said.

Shirley Kinsella, who was house sitting on Stanley Crescent during the event, mirrored all of Austin's concerns.

She also suggested the fairgrounds would be a more appropriate location, should the festival return next year.

"It was not pleasant whatsoever," she said. "The burnouts were something else. There was smoke coming over the lake."

While most riders are respectful of property and noise bylaws, there is always a minority who will act out, said Debbie Dixon, director of marketing and events for Ride For Sight Canada.

"That's why we give the city a damage deposit," said Dixon. "For people who do do burnouts, they need to know that Ride for Sight has to fix that, which goes directly against why they're here for, raising money for the Foundation Fighting Blindness."

The festival normally has a designated area for burnouts, but chose not to this year to respect the city's concerns surrounding noise issues, Dixon said.

According to Ray Merkley, director of Parks and Recreation, there were no major issues and overall damage to the park was minimal.

Calling the marks by left by riders doing burnouts "nothing major," he confirmed that Ride for Sight would pick up the tab for any repairs necessary.

"It looks good. I think the average person would have a hard time telling there was that many people in the park this weekend if you walked around there now," he said. "Obviously, any time you have that many people in a park, you are going to have trampled down grass and things like that, but nothing out of the ordinary for an event like that."

Both Coun. Michael Fogarty and Coun. Andrew Hill attended the event over the course of the weekend, and each believes the experience was a positive one overall.

Acknowledging that there were some "short-lived" issues, Fogarty believes the festival was good for the city.

"We all know we have a gem here, and I am beyond the point of try to protect it for ourselves. If we are serious about economic development, we need to develop economically, and this is a great way to do it," he said. "We put Orillia on the map with 5,000 visitors in one fell swoop. How many people know the name Orillia today that didn't know it yesterday? I'm going to say that number is substantial."

Living within earshot of ODAS Park, where an overnight cancer fundraiser was held Friday night, Fogarty knows first-hand the disruptions evening events can cause.

"We didn't get a 12 o'clock curfew. At 4:30 a.m., when they are still amplifying music and playing drums, you know what I did? I woke up and I smiled," said Fogarty. "That was something we considered when buying the place."

"I do feel for the residents and I'm not dismissing their complaints," he said. "But when you look at the big picture and what it does for city, it's a good thing."

The culture and heritage department is in the process of tallying the economic benefits of the event for a report to present to council, said director Craig Metcalf.

"We'll be following up with neighbors and park users to try to balance the inconvenience with the economic impact in the community," he said, adding "Certainly, if I were asked by council, I would support them coming back."

mminassian@orilliapacket.com

Welcome to small town Canada,
I personally was impresed by how good the park looked when I left! Why can't people wrap their heads around a bike event will get a little rowdy, but it's all in fun?
Cheers 8)
Aminal

Welcome to small town Canada,
I personally was impresed by how good the park looked when I left! Why can't people wrap their heads around a bike event will get a little rowdy, but it's all in fun?
Cheers 8)
Aminal

Yeah, de Jager and I spent about a half an hour cleaning up beer cans in the morning around our area and it made a big difference in how even our site looked.

They are afraid of the bad motorcycle people Aminal. ;)

That sounds pretty positive all things considered. I was very happy/surprised to see the state of the park on Sunday at 11am.

Perhaps they are right in that we should be in a fairgrounds type setting. We are certainly not looking to upset the town folk. Just looking to find a great home for RFS! :)

Totally agreed Cutekill. There were a lot of residences around the area.

The only thing I would state is that if the goal of the event is to drive awareness, we need to make sure we're visible. If we're out in a field or fairground somewhere, feels like it's harder to do.

BTW Cutekill, great job of picking the GTAM campsite...best in the park I thought. Would be nice next year to be able to shop at the vendors while sipping a cold one.

Last edited:
Theres always going to be complainers. If you want a quiet setting the lady should have bought a property in the country not beside a popular park......

Back
Top Bottom