Ride BC for less than $50 a day *pics* | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ride BC for less than $50 a day *pics*

Lightcycle

Rounder of bolts, Dropper of tools
Site Supporter
DSCN2456-X2.jpg

BC is one of the most expensive provinces to travel through, with lodging, food and gas well above the national average. Is it possible to ride a motorcycle around the BC interior and over into the Rocky Mountains for less than $50 CDN a day per person? Let's find out!

Last edited:
This will be our route for the next 5 days:

map-X2.jpg

Day 1: Kelowna to New Denver

We travel from the relative warmth of the Okanagan Valley into the western Kootenays or "the Koots" as it's known around here. The temperatures there are 5-10° cooler, especially over the mountain passes. We're aiming for ~400 kms a day, which allows us to leave a bit later on in the day and still arrive at a decent hour well before the sun sets. Wildlife at dawn and dusk presents an ever danger threat to travelers, especially those on two wheels.

DSCN2353-X2.jpg

Taking Hwy 33 south towards the US border, we cross two different geographical zones, up to the Okanagan Highlands, where we go snowboarding every winter and then a slow and steady drop all the way to Hwy 3, the Crowsnest Pass, which snakes its way just north of the 49th Parallel.

DSCN2367-X2.jpg

We stop for a little break in Castlegar. Lunch consists of a protein bar to minimize the effects of the afternoon dip in energy after eating a big meal. Also, it's cheaper and we're trying to hit that $50/day target!

The Crowsnest Pass is one of the best roads in the province, the pavement quality is excellent and provides high entertainment value in the form of twists and turns and scenic views of mountains and lakes as it winds through the Kootenays all the way to Alberta. Although the sun sets around 6:45PM around here, our daylight is cut much shorter the minute the sun disappears behind the mountains to our west.

DSCN2370-X2.jpg

From Castlegar, we detour off the Crowsnest Pass to Hwy 31A and head north along the shores of Kootenay Lake. At Kaslo, we turn onto an even smaller road packed with tight 50 km/h turns. Very fun, but at this point we are racing against the setting sun.

31A ends at New Denver where we find a campsite for the night. It's $25/night.

DSC_1251-X2.jpg

Dinner is rice with beef stew. Technically, food hasn't cost us anything because we have packed all our groceries from our pantry at home, I'll still include the approximate cost though.

Cost for Day 1 per person:

Gas: $19.73
Lodging: $12.25
Food: ~$5

Total: $36.98

We're doing well so far!

Day 2: New Denver to Fort Steele

It was cold last night!

I had to wake up in the middle of the night to pee and I checked the temperature: 8°C! Our sleeping bags are rated for 7°C but that's a survival number, not a comfort number. We need to get warmer sleeping bags, which means we'll need a bit more space in the panniers for all those extra goose feathers!

We've each got a three-case system on our bikes, but Neda's sport-touring model is down quite a bit on carrying capacity. I'm not a big fan of dry bags strapped to the passenger seat, so I'm happy that we've managed to get all our supplies inside the hard-cases with the exception of our tent poles which don't quite fit inside the boxes, so I have to strap it down to the top of one of my panniers.

DSC_1269-X2.jpg

We woke up to this sight in the morning!

Our campsite is right on the shores of Slocan Lake, overlooking Valhall Provincial Park. And what a view! We walk around the pebbly beach for the morning, waiting for the sun to dry our tent off. There's always quite a lot of dew that collects on cold mornings like this.

There's a Japanese Garden right near our campsite, so we poke around for a look.

DSC_1278-X2.jpg

New Denver was the site of an Internment Camp during WWII and the garden was set up on that site to honour the Japanese-Canadians who were kept there during the war.

DSC_1260-X2.jpg

We kept our breakfast small - just a small wrap with some salami we carried from home. Just small enough to avoid those post-meal slumps while on the road, but also to keep costs down. We watched the geese fly overhead and I wondered how many of them I'd need to fluff up my sleeping bag so it'd be warmer enough for the next few days.

Kidding.

Maybe.

DSC_1257-X2.jpg

Not a bad way to wait for the weather to get warmer.

We bundle up and head south back to the Crowsnest Pass where we pass through Nelson once again. Here's the view from the big orange bridge that leads to Nelson. It's official name is the Big Orange Bridge.

At Nelson, we fill up for the day - some high-test for our bikes and protein bars for us. While we were at the gas station, a guy strides straight from across the parking lot to where we are filling up.

"Two R1250s!"

Ah, a fellow bike nerd!

"Yeah, I just put away my R1250R for the winter", he tells us.

"But there's still plenty of riding left in the season", Neda replies.

"Yeah, I have an old V-Strom that's my winter beater."

Of course he has more than one bike. I instantly recognized him as a member of our tribe of Crazy Bike Nuts. Like the Crazy Cat Ladies with the 12 cats... except with motorcycles.

We talked bikes for a while and he wished us a goodbye by telling us, "I gotta go, my wife is giving me the evil eye. Everytime I talk about bikes with other riders she's afraid I'm going to buy another motorcycle!"

Yep. Definitely another member of our tribe.

We head back to the Crowsnest Pass due east. I'm glad we waited till the afternoon to ride, the temperature is in the high teens and the sun is out which makes it feel even warmer.

At Creston, we begin looking for a place to stay and we find a campsite just a few kms further outside a tiny town called Fort Steele. The camp fee is $35. Ouch, that's expensive!

DSC_1283-X2.jpg

It's a nice site, but our neighbour's dog barks at us everytime we walk past to head to the water pump and washrooms. Neda doesn't like that.

DSC_1288-X2.jpg

More beef stew and wraps for dinner.

Total for Day 2:

Gas: $19.19
Lodging: $17.5

Total: $41.69

A great day of riding and still under budget!

Hey Gene,

Super cool trip and idea!

Don't know if you have already done the trip or are writing this each night. There is a really sweet road that runs east from Little Fort and it's right off your route. It's a crazy ascent for 8km and then you just turn around and do the descent to get back on your route southbound.

Looks like awesome days to be riding in the mountains. Wonder how much weight you guys will lose in the 5 days.
Safe trip:)

Day 3: Fort Steele to Saskatchewan River Crossing

We've lost an hour somewhere.

We wake up at our usual lazy late morning time but our smartphones are reading an hour later than it feels. This is due to the crazy PDT/MDT time zone border that doesn't quite align with the BC/Alberta border. Somewhere between Creston and Fort Steele, the time zone switched to Mountain Time and now we're rushed to pack up the tent so we can vacate our campsite before check-out time to avoid being charged another day.

The tent is still damp from morning dew and we do our best to shake it out before packing it away, but packing a wet tent is like putting on wet underwear. It just feels gross and not right.

We head into Fort Steele to eat our breakfast. There is no town. Fort Steele consists of one gas station and a general store situated just outside an old pioneer village that's been set up as an educational tourist sight, kind of like Black Creek Pioneer Village in Toronto. You gotta pay for entry, which we don't do. Partly to save on costs, but also, we've planned this as a pure motorcycle trip, so no hiking (which is good) and no sight-seeing. Our plan is not stray more than a few meters from our bikes the entire week. :love:

We munch on a salami sandwich outside the gas station while staring at our bikes

DSCN2377-X2.jpg

Do these bags make our butts look big?

It's warmed up quite nicely by now so we head north on Hwy 93 with the Rocky Mountains to our right, promising us some exquisite sights to see very soon!

DSCN2391-X2.jpg

At Radium Hot Springs, Hwy 93 cuts sharply to the east and we pass the massive set of stone gates of Sinclair Canyon that serve as an official natural welcome to visitors into the Kootenay National Park. We've come through this way many times, and it's kind of a tradition that we take a picture here.

IMG_8950-X2.jpg

This is where the good stuff starts. From hereon in, we'll be surrounded by the beauty and the majesty of the Canadian Rocky Mountains.

DSCN2406-X2.jpg

DSCN2408-X2.jpg

We stop in Lake Louise for a gas stop and another protein bar. Normally, we'd go into the Fairmont Resort and take a picture of the twin mountains reflecting off Lake Louise, but this is a bike trip, and we have so many pictures of that already. If you Google "Most photographed lake in the world", Lake Louise will probably come up more than a few times.

So now comes the tricky part of staying under budget. How do you find cheap lodging in one of the most expensive tourist spots in Western Canada? With the cheapest motel prices regularly north of $150 CDN in Lake Louise and Banff, even the campsites just outside of town are more than $40.

We keep on riding, further and further north on 93 until we are out of the blast radius of the Tourist Trap Bomb. We're in an area called Saskatchewan River Crossing (yes, we are only still in Alberta) and the park fee is $28. No showers or flush toilets, but that's okay.

DSCN2414-X2.jpg

"I was told there'd be no gravel!" says Neda and her sport-touring motorcycle.

DSCN2415-X2.jpg

It's a nice park, but it's cold in the evening before the sun set, which doesn't bode well for when the night falls.

We switch up our meal menu and it's chilli and beans for dinner tonight. Mmmm. Also we'll get to warm up our tent tonight Dutch-Oven style. :D

Campsite Talk: "Why is chilli the food hot, and chilly the adjective cold? I bet that really forks up a lot of non-native English speakers"

The sun sets, and like birds we nestle up in our sleeping bags and fall asleep with just about every piece of clothing we've brought on our trip to brave the freezing temperatures overnight.

Like clockwork, I gotta get up to pee in the middle of the night and I check the temperature. -1°C. Cripes.

Cost for Day 3 per person:

Gas: $18.24
Lodging: $14

Total: $37.24

We're well under budget, despite having to feed our 1250cc gas-guzzling beasts. A lot of it is helped by the fact we are not doing much mileage per day.

Last edited:
Day 4: Saskatchewan River Crossing to Blue River

We didn't sleep very well last night.

Yes, it was freezing cold and we were shivering in our sleeping bags, but we also set up our tent over top of a tiny hill so we couldn't sleep totally flat, our legs and heads were slightly lower than our torso and dammit we were not going out into the freezing cold to move the tent in the middle of the night!

We wake up with aching backs, very reluctant to climb onto our bikes.

DSCN2427-X2.jpg

To warm ourselves up, we treat ourselves to a hot breakfast and tea. I make my world-famous corned beef hash from scratch. I'm so glad we brought the cooking stove, it's so nice to have something hot at the end of the riding day and at the start of one as well.

Still cold when we leave later on in the morning. 5°C. Ugh.

We fish out the cables for our heated liners and plug in for the ride, which makes the freezing temperatures a lot more bearable. I gotta look into seeing if I can plug these liners into some kind of portable battery for when we're inside our sleeping bag. Wouldn't that be nice!

Hwy 93 just south of Jasper is also known as the world-famous Columbia Ice Fields Parkway. This is one of the most anticipated parts of our trip.

IMG_8952-X2.jpg

I'm all bundled up and plugged in! Bring it on!

DSCN2446-X2.jpg

DSCN2467-X2.jpg

It keeps gets colder and colder the higher we climb up into the glaciers. Mountains, older than recorded history, stare down at us with disinterest while we in turn look up at them and gaze with wonder. It is so beautiful here.

We continue ascending and the temperature keeps dropping. We stop often at scenic pull-outs to take in all the wonderful nature surrounding us.

This is the road that we just came up from:

DSC_1295-X2.jpg

DSC_1292-X2.jpg

What is she taking a picture of?

DSC_1296-X2.jpg

Ah, nice! The lighting and colouring makes this picture look almost computer-generated!

IMG_8964-X2.jpg

Neda is really bonding well with her new bike. She's always been more into sport-touring motorcycles than adventure bikes. This is apparent when we gas up our bikes. Despite both our motorcycles having the exact same engine, she is always putting in a litre more than I am at the pumps despite her streamlined fairings and panniers. She tells me she likes to ride one gear lower than me so she has instantaneous throttle response from the 1250cc boxer twin engine. Can you fall in love with an engine? Because I think she has...

We pull into the parking lot just outside of Athabasca Glacier and ask another tourist to snap a family portrait of us and our bikes.

IMG_8973-X2.jpg

We've had to supplement the heated liners with our rain jackets to keep all the heat in since we are wearing mesh over the liners. We're very warm and super-comfy and loving life in the Rocky Mountains.

You see those little dots on the glacier behind us?

ENHANCE:

DSC_1308-X2.jpg

You can charter a bus tour that will take you on the glacier. But that's $$$ and we are staying with our bikes this trip. It'd be pretty cool to take a motorcycle up the glacier with studded tires though...

Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end, and the Hyw 93 descends down into Jasper where the temperatures have risen to a balmy 20°C in the afternoon sun. We gas up and munch down on some pistachio nuts while checking the map to see where would be a good place to stop for the night. We've only done 150 kms this morning and Valemount on Hwy 5 is only another 150 kms away.

From Jasper, we take TC-16 west to Hwy 5 and then southbound, pointed towards the Okanagan Valley once again.

When we reach Valemount, we find that we're still not tired and it's still fairly early in the day. We're at a bit of a dilemma here. There's a really nice campsite here at Valemount, but if we keep on going the only other campsite in our budget is at Blue River and that one doesn't have any good reviews. But if we ride further today, it will really cut down our last travel day back to Kelowna tomorrow.

We decide to press on to Blue River.

As predicted, the camp site is a bit of dump, kind of run down and there are lots of mosquitoes everywhere. Our neighbours are very loud and they've turned up their stereos full blast in their pick-up trucks. I hope this doesn't continue on into the night.

DSCN2470-X2.jpg

Chilli for dinner again. While listening to our neighbours' tunes. At least we'll get a really warm night's sleep tonight. Forecast is a low of 10°C. Not too bad especially considering it was below freezing the night before.

Costs for Day 4 per person:

Lodging: $13.65 (they took Visa which is nice since we were running low on cash. I think if we had paid cash we would have saved on the sales tax)
Gas: $18.53
Food: ~$10 (gonna be generous since we did have two large meals today)

Total: $42.18

Pretty good!

Thankfully our neighbours turn down their stereos shortly after sun set and we settle in for a warm night's sleep.

Day 5: Blue River to Kelowna

We slept well last night. It was warm and the ground was flat and we had access to a nice hot shower as well.

Today is a commuting day back home. We leave the campsite very early, since we are gained an hour coming back to BC, but also, the campsite at Blue River is not a very nice one to be hanging around in all morning. Also, we just want to get back home at a decent hour.

A quick sandwich, then pack up the tent and we're off.

Hwy 5 is still very scenic, but it is quite anti-climactic compared to the day's ride before.

About 45 minutes north of Kamloops, we stop for a bite to eat. We're in a tiny town called Barrière and in the parking lot of the restaurant there looks to be a vintage car meet-up of some kind.

DSCN2473-X2.jpg

I met up with @GreyGhost. Or his car, at least...

DSCN2475-X2.jpg

All the car guys totally ignored us except for the one CanAm Spyder rider at the end of the lot who came over to greet us and chatted for a while. Bike guys are the best.

DSCN2479-X2.jpg

I think this Hudson Eight was from the 1930s. Now it's the automotive equivalent of a chopper.

We filled up at Clearwater, and this was our biggest gas bill since we've run our tanks close to empty on this stretch - almost $25 each. Half our daily budget! This will give us enough fuel to get back home, and we'll reach our destination with the same amount of gas that we left with 5 days ago, so we're not cheating on the daily costs by sneaking in an extra tank of gas.

When we get to Kamloops, the temps have risen to mid 20s. Time to layer off and bask in the Okanagan sun in our mesh gear once again. Despite being a major highway, 97 from Kamloops to Vernon is very twisty and picturesque.

DSCN2483-X2.jpg

We stopped at Monte Lake for a quick scenic break.

DSCN2488-X2.jpg

And to survey the carnage on our helmets and motorcycles.

DSCN2490-X2.jpg

We reach Vernon and the mercury has hit 30°C. Wow, a more than thirty degree swing in temperatures over the last five days. Glad we brought layers so we're comfortable in every riding condition we've traveled through.

We reach home in the early afternoon which gave us plenty of time to unpack and clean the bikes and our gear. What an absolutely fun time on our bikes!

And how did we do on our budget?

Costs for Day 5 per person:

Lodging: $0
Fuel: $24.98

Total: $29.98

It was a five-day, four-night trip, so if we average out the lodging over the last four nights instead of five, these are our daily averages for the trip:

Lodging: $14.35
Food: $6.00
Fuel: $20.13

Total Daily Average: $40.48
Average Daily Mileage: 380 kms (roughly one tank of gas a day)

Well under $50! I should change the title to "Ride BC for $40/day"

Last edited:
Day 5: Blue River to Kelowna

We slept well last night. It was warm and the ground was flat and we had access to a nice hot shower as well.

Today is a commuting day back home. We leave the campsite very early, since we are gained an hour coming back to BC, but also, the campsite at Blue River is not a very nice one to be hanging around in all morning. Also, we just want to get back home at a decent hour.

A quick sandwich, then pack up the tent and we're off.

Hwy 5 is still very scenic, but it is quite anti-climactic compared to the day's ride before.

About 45 minutes north of Kamloops, we stop for a bite to eat. We're in a tiny town called Barrière and in the parking lot of the restaurant there looks to be a vintage car meet-up of some kind.

DSCN2473-X2.jpg

I met up with @GreyGhost. Or his car, at least...

DSCN2475-X2.jpg

All the car guys totally ignored us except for the one CanAm Spyder rider at the end of the lot who came over to greet us and chatted for a while. Bike guys are the best.

DSCN2479-X2.jpg

I think this Hudson Eight was from the 1930s. Now it's the automotive equivalent of a chopper.

We filled up at Clearwater, and this was our biggest gas bill since we've run our tanks close to empty on this stretch - almost $25 each. Half our daily budget! This will give us enough fuel to get back home, and we'll reach our destination with the same amount of gas that we left with 5 days ago, so we're not cheating on the daily costs by sneaking in an extra tank of gas.

When we get to Kamloops, the temps have risen to mid 20s. Time to layer off and bask in the Okanagan sun in our mesh gear once again. Despite being a major highway, 97 from Kamloops to Vernon is very twisty and picturesque.

DSCN2483-X2.jpg

We stopped at Monte Lake for a quick scenic break.

DSCN2488-X2.jpg

And to survey the carnage on our helmets and motorcycles.

DSCN2490-X2.jpg

We reach Vernon and the mercury has hit 30°C. Wow, a more than thirty degree swing in temperatures over the last five days. Glad we brought layers so we're comfortable in every riding condition we've traveled through.

We reach home in the early afternoon which gave us plenty of time to unpack and clean the bikes and our gear. What an absolutely fun time on our bikes!

And how did we do on our budget?

Costs for Day 5 per person:

Lodging: $0
Fuel: $24.98

Total: $29.98

It was a five-day, four-night trip, so if we average out the lodging over the last four nights instead of five, these are our daily averages for the trip:

Lodging: $14.35
Food: $6.00
Fuel: $20.13

Total Daily Average: $40.48
Average Daily Mileage: 380 kms (roughly one tank of gas a day)

Well under $50! I should change the title to "Ride BC for $40/day"
That one has 10" wheels. I've got 12" wheels so I could have front discs without paying a fortune for cooper s discs. That one has steering wheel on wrong side too.

Last edited:
Great trip and a cool write up. I always love following along with you and Neda.
If I was following gtam more closely while I was out west I would have met up with you two.
You went all around my parents place north of Creston. I highly recommend hwy 3a to the free ferry across to the Balfour side, then north through Kaslo to New Denver.
If you're ever in the area my dad loves company and has an odd assortment of bikes including a 79 r90 with Hannigan fairing left to him by my grandfather.
c72bb0550e34309c856dd4ca407f9152.jpg

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Damn! Next time you're in the area visiting, drop me a line and we can meet up somewhere.

You can show us all the good roads and trails, since you probably have more insider knowledge than we do.
Well maybe not me personally, but my dad has access to all the locals lol.
His best friend Doug allowed me access to his trophy room. He's been hunting and backwoods camping out there all his life.
I won't get into the ethics of hunting etc, but it was certainly humbling standing in front of that polar bear, and he took it with a bow!
670def8f12bc342bc1bda08e4143c390.jpg
0e82a0f05468d6ea022fb10f3b97cb7f.jpg
a9061e9fcd381f6c51d24ef6a4456f5e.jpg

Well maybe not me personally, but my dad has access to all the locals lol.
His best friend Doug allowed me access to his trophy room. He's been hunting and backwoods camping out there all his life.
I won't get into the ethics of hunting etc, but it was certainly humbling standing in front of that polar bear, and he took it with a bow!
670def8f12bc342bc1bda08e4143c390.jpg
0e82a0f05468d6ea022fb10f3b97cb7f.jpg
a9061e9fcd381f6c51d24ef6a4456f5e.jpg

so thats why my christmas presents are always late

Back
Top Bottom