Ride back from dealership?? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ride back from dealership??

Lisam722

Hi guys! New rider here!
Got my M2 license few weeks ago and bought a Honda rebel 300 3 days after passing the test. The dealership agreed to store the bike for free till next riding season which is awesome.
I know it's still a few months ahead.. but I'm already thinking about how to get it home.
I've been watching YouTube videos about riding techniques tirelessly and am planning to do a refresher course next year.
Here's the question... How did you get your first bike home? Would you recommend me to ride the bike from dealership myself (30min driving)?
Thank you all in advance!

Edit:Thank you to everyone!!! Really appreciate your support and reply!! A bit of context, I live in Yonge eglinton area and the dealership is in Scarborough. :)

Last edited:
Congrats ?

How you get it home depends on your riding comfort level. If you feel confident that first ride out of the dealership would be awesome, I assume. Otherwise you could have a friend or possibly someone from here ride it for you. A tow truck also works.

If you do ride it yourself I recommend going during off peak traffic times.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I remember the first ride back from the dealership on a new bike and how nervous I was the night before.

But getting on the bike, everything came back to me immediately and the nervousness was replaced with excitement. Just be aware of traffic around you, easy to forget this on your very first ride.

Congrats and welcome to the wonderful world of motorcycling!

Congrats ?

How you get it home depends on your riding comfort level. If you feel confident that first ride out of the dealership would be awesome, I assume. Otherwise you could have a friend or possibly someone from here ride it for you. A tow truck also works.

If you do ride it yourself I recommend going during off peak traffic times.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
Thank you so much for your reply! Winter hasn't even started and I'm beyond excited to ride the bike already. Thanks a lot for the advice!!!

I remember the first ride back from the dealership on a new bike and how nervous I was the night before.

But getting on the bike, everything came back to me immediately and the nervousness was replaced with excitement. Just be aware of traffic around you, easy to forget this on your very first ride.

Congrats and welcome to the wonderful world of motorcycling!
Thank you! It would be amazing if I could ride it back myself! Counting down the days :)

Just don't rush picking up your bike. Personally, I don't like to start my season any earlier then mid April. For me, I like to wait for all the other bikes to be out and remind most drivers that bikes exist and they should look out for us as well. (but that's just my own believe, feel free to do something else) After that, its just matter of looking and learning to predict what others will do and stay out of their way :)

You defiantly don't have to do this, but the last resort will be getting it transported home. (which is what I did, cause I didn't have anyone to drive me out to pick up my bike tho this wasn't with a dealership.) my first 250, I just rolled it up on the back of a chevy express and strapped it down. On the second last turn, my bike fell over ^^; luckily it was a light bike, no damages. After that I've learned how to strap a bike down :p

Good luck and have tons of fun :)

While you're waiting to pick up your bike, go on youtube and start learning some extra skills. getting into the mind set is good as well. Personally I suggest MCRider. tons of good materials there.

You can always ask them to deliver it. On my first bike the salesman rode the bike to my house and I gave him a lift back in my car. Other purchases I made sure the delivery was included in the deal. Most dealers have trailers and you just arrange a time and date for delivery. Other options include calling services such as motolimo etc. The cost will vary depending on the distance Average cost will be around $100.00.

I once rode an expensive, brand new Harley from the dealership to my friend's home. He hadn't ridden in a few years and wanted to start off practicing in his own neighborhood.

Probably the most careful riding I've ever done!

Is the dealer somewhere that you can get home without being immediately tossed out into insane traffic (or a 400 series highway requirement) between home and there?

If so, then yes, you may want to inquire about delivery - it's going to be a lot less stressful getting on that bike for the first time and making those initial baby steps in familiar territory with residential levels of traffic vs the alternative.

If you can plot a ride home from the dealer that involves reasonable traffic levels and avoids anything you're probably not going to be comfortable with right out of the gate (IE, 400 series), then you should have the skills necessary from the course to manage that. Gotta start somewhere.

if you decide to justride, having a buddy following is a good idea. I rode my first from Barrie to Mississauga. Get a feel for the clutch, turn signal before you start moving. I must've stalled a $hit load and was pi$$ed at cars beeping at me, which was actually me mixing up the horn with the turn signal. LOL.
now make your own memories!

First Bike?
My older brother rode it from the guys house to our house with no license or anything, not even a helmet in those days. :LOL:
Bike cost me 60$ and the helmet was another 20$

I used to push it to the parking lot behind the Yardley perfume factory after school, about a kilometre, to teach myself how to ride it.
... which wasn't really easy because I was 10 and had to hook one leg over the saddle to reach the ground when I stopped.

Dealers can and do deliver bikes, it just might be on their schedule, or you can ride it...or...get a pick up truck/trailer and get it

Congrats on the bike

I'd go with the delivery route. Best to take those first rides at home on an early weekend when traffic is less and you can practice when you want to. Mastery of the clutch is key and you don't want to be stalling it and put yourself at risk.

Where are you? Someone with a truck might be willing to help ya get it home.

If you want someone to trailer it, reach out to @adri here, I believe he lives near you and I've used him in the past to transport a bike. I was pretty happy with his service.

I got my m2 in 2012, never rode again til my first bike in 2017. Bought from a dealership, went behind the dealership for about 30mins getting use to it, then just rode home. I drive as well, so the whole watching for traffic etc isn't new. It's just the changing gears and getting used to throttle. But that didn't take too long tbh.

first bike I had delivered as I was 15 at the time
first new one I rode it home from the dealer

depends I'm going to say where/how far you need to ride it
as others have said, dealer will likely help you with this

dumping a shiny new bike would be a very negative start

I got my m2 in 2012, never rode again til my first bike in 2017. Bought from a dealership, went behind the dealership for about 30mins getting use to it, then just rode home. I drive as well, so the whole watching for traffic etc isn't new. It's just the changing gears and getting used to throttle. But that didn't take too long tbh.

Didnt your M2 expire by then?

dumping a shiny new bike would be a very negative start
Seen that on a you tube, the guy was so happy with his new bike,
buddy films him going about 30 feet and crashing .

Back
Top Bottom