Researching areas to live in. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Researching areas to live in.

The Star has an article this morning, average detached home in the 416 is $1.3 million. 905 is just over $900k.

Might have to adjust budget or expectations?

Yes we are still early stages but have seen nice homes in the sub-$1m range in that area. $1.1M is doable...but stretching.

We're also toying with the idea of keeping the existing property and renting it out, but I'm not 100% convinced I want to stay in the landlord game.

I moved from Toronto to Waterloo 30 years ago to get away from the "big city".At that time wages in my trade were lower out here,but most everything was a lot cheaper to compensate.Today jobs are everywhere esp in the hi tech sector.Waterloo is the Silicon Valley of the north.Real estate is a sellers market right now and the average home here is about $300,000 less than Toronto.Check this example out in my neighbourhood.117 PARTRIDGE PL, Waterloo, ON N2V1S5 For Sale | RE/MAX | 237490802

Mimico, download the APP called "HOUSE SIGMA" it gives any regular JOE the access to the same info the agents see. It will show if the house was pulled off MLS and relisted at new price and the full purchase and sales history going back at least 10 years of any property.
Also price medians and graph charts relating to said property.

@JB - yes you're correct thank you. I know that area well and my parents are at Burnhamthorpe and West Mall, and sister is at Dundas / Mississauga Rd. That area is great and I'd love to move there. Ideally back in New Toronto / Mimico but that's just out of the price range.
@Kedo - Yes that's the range we are looking at. Ideally max 900k but we can stretch to 1M.

I'm in that general neighbourhood and there are several listings in that range.

The lower priced ones are split levels or bungalows but on decent sized lots. They are starting to top the bungalows making them into two story homes, closer to a forever home for most. Split levels are hard to top so you're stuck with lots of stairs.

Cautions

If you end up anywhere near a piece of open land there will be a condo built there in your lifetime so the term "Lifetime home" is vague.

Older homes that show wear and tear with no upgrades are often purchased, freshened up and then resold for an extra couple hundred grand. (IKEA kitchens and bath and a paint job) Our neighbour has one of those and has spent tens of thousands on fixing what looked like a new home. No warranties.

If you can get a deal on a worn but not broken home you get to do the upgrades yourself, get what YOU want, get it done right and likely save a few bucks.

I know it's sexist comment but generally women don't like the renovation process. Men don't either but with enough beer the pain subsides. A buddy and his very proper British wife went through the process and by the end she was using the F word quite liberally.

There's a bungalow on Rayside for $799K but I don't know if they are still using the "Price low and then hope for a bid war" system.

Good luck.

There's a bungalow on Rayside for $799K but I don't know if they are still using the "Price low and then hope for a bid war" system.
Same street my dad lives on. I'm currently out of touch on what's going down in in the neighborhood, but i'll get caught up by this weekend hopefully.

Thanks guys. I'm definitely cool with some work having to be done, but unfortunately being away so much I can't leave a wife and new baby in the midst of a renovation. If we end up buying something that we need to reno then I'll keep the townhouse, keep the wife in there, and then when I'm home every month do some work. Probably get more done in a week straight then a few hours/day during the week when I worked a normal job.
We prefer a bungalow, and I personally love the backsplit concept. Will keep looking.
Just getting ready to leave camp today and will be home tomorrow to keep the search going.

Back
Top Bottom