Renting a bike in Vegas for a week. Any route suggestions? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Renting a bike in Vegas for a week. Any route suggestions?

timtune

Site Supporter
Plan is to get the bike in Vegas. Ride as many nice roads as we can in a week, then go see my sister near phoenix for a bit before flying home. Squeeze & I 2 up so I'm getting the bloated Harley. Should be a real Experience. We take it easy and do a picnic lunch and some scenery each day so only about 600km per day.
Heard Colorado & Utah were good.
Any suggestions?

Thanks Shane. Never been down that way.

When are you renting?
December & January temps aren't warm.
Yes I was surprised how cool those months are. I think it has to be March. I don't want to take a lot of cold weather gear on a plane.
My sister winters outside Phoenix, I want to get her input before locking anything in.

Yes I was surprised how cool those months are. I think it has to be March. I don't want to take a lot of cold weather gear on a plane.
My sister winters outside Phoenix, I want to get her input before locking anything in.
Much of that area has significant elevation gains, so Phoenix might be warm in March, while Sedona is cool and Flagstaff or Jerome or Prescott might have snow. I used to go to Sedona each winter and sometimes it was really warm and perfect for riding all over, and other times a snowfall would come through at higher elevations with rain at lower elevations.

If you have to stay at lower elevations to keep warm, it's still worth the bike rental to see the area. If you are renting from Eagle Rider, they might even have some gear you can rent. The ride between Vegas and Phoenix is really scenic and interesting, if you are into those arid landscapes.

I do go the other way into So Cal. Diverse scenery, way more to do, and always perfect riding weather. The high desert via Death Valley, Palm Springs, and LA has a lot, any destination in SoCal is less than 6hrs ride to Phoenix.

The higher altitudes in AZ are chilly thru March, as is the deserts of Utah and Nevada.

Here is an option to Eagle Rider and they have bikes in Vegas and Phoenix
The last time I was in that area was a run between Sault Lake and Reno
Left Sault Lake at midnite and encountered 32 degrees F to over 100 degrees F in a 8 hour time frame.
And that was August!
Of course that was back in the 70s before global warming.

I'm thinking Hertz actually.

In 2019 I was looking at Hertz for bike rentals in Portugal and prices seemed reasonable.
At the time they where not set up in North America yet.
That may have been due to the bankruptcy thing.

We rented from Eagle rider, A1 service. They have a handout with a number of suggested routes that we used and it was great for the first time down there. We plan on doing it again soon! One thing to remember though, we stayed on the strip and found getting to our room after a long day was tough as the traffic down there ramped up quickly.

No way we'd stay on the strip, infact we'd get the bike and head out of town asap.

I just did an epic ride from Georgia in May that included the Grand Canyon, Horseshoe Bend (Page, AZ), Zion, Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley and Arches NP in Moab.

Not sure how warm it'll be in March but I would highly recommend any of those places.

So my sister who winters in AZ sent me these suggestions. Any thoughts? I have yet to plot these out on a map.
A trip to Nevada from Brenda
ADD IN – Trona Pinnacles – near death Valley – 28 miles east of Ridgecrest
Just south of Las Vegas – seven magic mountains
Boulder City – ride the rails 1-877-833-8588, 2 seater $90, 4 seater $160, allow 1 ½ hours for trip. Bring
a snack & drink for the break
Valley of Fire State Park – be sure to see Elephant Rock
Cathedral Gorge State Park
Great Basin National Park ?? is it necessary
From Baker to Carson City, 380 miles, explore Carson City downtown
near Ely is Ward Charcoal Oven Historic State Park
between Ely & Tonopah is Lunar Crater
Ely – Railroad Depot Museum, best train museum in the country
Eureka – has an Opera House built in 1880, explore for free or catch a performance
Between Austin & Middlegate is the shoe tree
Gerlach Nevada – High Rock Canyon Wilderness
Goldfield Nevada – Hard Luck Mine Castle, 1 Bonnie Clair Road, tours daily 10-3 for $10 donation
Goldfield has the paste eaters grave
When you are traveling Hwy 50 be sure you take Route 722, this is the Old Hwy 50 with twists & turns

Anyone ridden the San Jaun highway (aka Million Dollar highway) in Colorado?
I've read very good things about it and I think we can make it there and back but just (within our week).
Is it worth the detour??

Back
Top Bottom