Removing muffler packing? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Removing muffler packing?

Canadian GP

I recently purchased stainless Yosh R77 slip ons for my Ninja 1000. They look great on the bike and the sound is much deeper than stock but the volume is not what I expected, very disappointed actually. If I remove some or all of the packing material will the volume increase? Is this a bad idea, if so why?

TIA

It will lean out the fuel mixture and will likely require a rejet (old 1000) or a fuel map (new 1000). If left unchecked and the mixture is too lean you run the risk of burning valves/holing a piston....... This is worse case but just check the mixture. Is there poping/backfiring on deceleration ?

I recently purchased stainless Yosh R77 slip ons for my Ninja 1000. They look great on the bike and the sound is much deeper than stock but the volume is not what I expected, very disappointed actually. If I remove some or all of the packing material will the volume increase? Is this a bad idea, if so why?

TIA

Failure to comply with SAE J2825 (sound level testing procedure - look it up) will limit the places that you can legally ride. If you ever want to do a track day, the standards are different but the same situation still exists - at many tracks, too loud and you're not riding.

Check whether those mufflers have a visible restriction near the outlet, usually a small piece of pipe that is smaller than the main diameter of the inside of the muffler. This is the noise-reducing baffle. Generally, this is removable - either by unbolting it or possibly drilling out a spot weld, I don't know how Yosh has been doing it lately.

You'll become a popo magnet and your neighbors won't appreciate it. Your choice.

Back
Top Bottom