Remove Grease - Painted Surfaces | GTAMotorcycle.com

Remove Grease - Painted Surfaces

iegod

I was looking into some degreasers to clean up a lot of gunk around the bike in general. The area near the chain in particular is impossible to clean with a regular sponge + soap, but I'm afraid a degreaser would damage/remove some of the paint as well. So I have three questions.

1. Are my concerns warranted?
2. What will the degreaser do to plastic?
3. Anodized metal?

Clean anything oily/greasy with good old dishes detergent (that's Palmolive's claim to fame) :)

Works really well.

I was looking into some degreasers to clean up a lot of gunk around the bike in general. The area near the chain in particular is impossible to clean with a regular sponge + soap, but I'm afraid a degreaser would damage/remove some of the paint as well. So I have three questions.

1. Are my concerns warranted?
2. What will the degreaser do to plastic?
3. Anodized metal?

Head to the nearest bike shop, or Royal Dist and buy yourself a bottle of S100, with the blue label.
The best deal is the 1L jug. It's about $22. If you don't have a spray bottle, the dollar store does.
Empty the S100 into the spray bottle, spray the area(s) that are grungry, and hose it off. It really is that simple, and the S100 with the blue label will NOT hurt anything on your bike.
Enjoy the ease of cleaning.

Try WD40. I find you can just spray crap and then very easily wipe 99% of it away with a rag. At that point soap or another solvent can remove the remaining residual, if any. Its dirt cheap as well. WD40 is safe for most things as well.

Kerosene for everything. $14 (I think) for 4L

+1 Spray bottle works great. Even pouring this onto an old rag and wiping down fairings from chain fling works well. Makes a great chain cleaner.

You can't get a bike clean unless you get at the places you can't reach.
WD40 won't do this.
Palmolive won't.
Kerosene won't.
Gasoline won't (until you ignite it).
S100 will creep in and clean everything within seconds - EFFORTLESSLY - no rags, no scrubbing, no bending, no wasting time required.

Disclaimer: Although it appears like it, I have nothing to do with S100, other than being a satisfied consumer, since someone told me about it earlier this summer, I wouldn't use anything else now. It turns a 3 hour cleanup into a job that takes less than 10 minutes, and I didn't break a sweat. I still use Plexus for quick, light cleanups.
I've used all the mentioned products.
I suppose I hate work, so S100 is the product for me.

http://www.s100.com/index.htm

p.s. I won't use anything except Kerosene to clean my chains.

WD40 won't do this.
Palmolive won't.
Kerosene won't.
S100 will creep in and clean everything within seconds - EFFORTLESSLY - no rags, no scrubbing, no bending, no wasting time required.

Disclaimer: Although it appears like it, I have nothing to do with S100, other than being a satisfied consumer, since someone told me about it earlier this summer, I wouldn't use anything else now. It turns a 3 hour cleanup into a job that takes less than 10 minutes, and I didn't break a sweat. I still use Plexus for quick, light cleanups.

Thanks for the tip, I'm gonna gets me a bottle of dat!

WD40 won't do this.
Palmolive won't.
Kerosene won't.

Is there anywhere in the area I can pick this up?

I used S100 a couple of decades ago. Did alright, but I use kerosene and dish soap now. Sunlight works best for me. I put the kerosene in a spray bottle and use it on the really bad grease spots.

Same as above, kerosene in spray bottle and rag; hasn't failed yet.

Simple green works well, use it to clean all kinds of messthings on truck, bikes, cars underbody just dont let it stay on painted surfaces too long.... + add in some elbow grease..

I used Pledge furniture polish to clean up all the chain wax. I even use it to polish my bike!

DSC01478.jpg

Last edited:
Any paint safe solvent will do the job, like WD-40 with a red-tube nozzle will work.....wipe it down after

Back
Top Bottom