Remembrance Day, nov.11th | GTAMotorcycle.com

Remembrance Day, nov.11th

dash8

Hi everyone,

I'm sure a lot of you know, and for those who don't, Remembrance Day is coming up on Nov 11th, and I just wanted to urge everyone to get out to a parade/ceremony to honor those who gave their lives so we could enjoy what we have. They fought and died so we could enjoy the freedom we have, one afternoon is not too much to ask!!!

this is the first year I get to bring my son out to show our respect, and I hope everyone else does the same!

This will be a special year for us.My father in law (ww II veteran) has given up his apartment and my wife and i have had to find a retirement home for him (he is very happy) and we were given the task of cleaning up his things.
In this process he told me that i was to take care of his "memories" from the war.His helmet with the bullet hole thru it,the copy of the May 1945 "Maple Leaf" newspaper,his medals and awards from the Canadian Legion.
He is a grumpy old sob.....but he has earned the right to be anything he wants to be.

Thanks for the reminder Dash8.
scaled.php

Keep those memories close to the heart, my friend, for they commemorate a time we could only dimly imagine.

Thank him from Canada, from myself and my family. He has more than earned he right to be however he damn well pleases to be :)

The Old Comrade

By Dileas Gu Brath

Every year about this time
You'll see him at the mall
A man who's old and slightly bent,
Who once stood straight and tall.
And if you go you'll see him,
For he's there every day.
Dressed in a Legion blazer,
With poppies in a tray
Who is this ancient warrior
Who sacrificed his youth?
So we could live in freedom,
And all could know the truth.
How many still in his youth
Did this man go through hell?
How many times watched helplessly,
As comrades around him fell
A dollar coin or maybe five,
It's a small price that I pay,
As I take a poppy,
And start to walk away.
Thank you sir the old man says,
With a Voice that's strong and true,
And I turn and look in his eyes,
And say, No Sir... I thank you!

I actually might not be even attending a parade this year. Work has a bunch of us flying out for a task around that time. Not that it changes things for me, I think of certain people every day that didn't get to come home like me.

Its appreciated when we get large crowds... Don't think that we don't notice!

I actually might not be even attending a parade this year. Work has a bunch of us flying out for a task around that time. Not that it changes things for me, I think of certain people every day that didn't get to come home like me.

Its appreciated when we get large crowds... Don't think that we don't notice!
:'(

I do a parade every year with my uncle who was in WW II and then head to his legion to sit around and listen to the old guys tell their stories. I hear the same stories every year but it doesn't matter. They ask me about my tours and I just laugh and tell them there is nothing I have done that even comes close to theirs.

When I was a kid I use to enjoy military parades. I like the the artillery fire :)

Sent from my tablet using my paws

I do a parade every year with my uncle who was in WW II and then head to his legion to sit around and listen to the old guys tell their stories. I hear the same stories every year but it doesn't matter. They ask me about my tours and I just laugh and tell them there is nothing I have done that even comes close to theirs.
Yep. Sure, I had some rough days but for those guys it was non stop. I would rather fight in 50 degree weather than the cold and mud and dealing with all the stuff they dealt with.

When I was a kid I use to enjoy military parades. I like the the artillery fire :)

I work with the engineers. I see stuff blow up weekly and I smile every time... Even the guys that have done it for years still get a kick out of it.

Yep. Sure, I had some rough days but for those guys it was non stop. I would rather fight in 50 degree weather than the cold and mud and dealing with all the stuff they dealt with.

I work with the engineers. I see stuff blow up weekly and I smile every time... Even the guys that have done it for years still get a kick out of it.

Where can I see cannons this November?

:) Chimo!

Where can I see cannons this November?

Come to Ottawa, it's worth the trip. Last year was pretty cold, but the street was packed with civilians, current members of all services, standing at attention during the ceremony and many veterans. Touring the cenotaph with the tomb of the unknown soldier is quite moving, but especially at this time of year. And, yeah, big cannon fire, jet flyby, and the helicopters flying along the Ottawa river and then overhead, make it pretty memorable. Could take and extra day or two and tour the National War Museum too.

Are you implying what I think u r?
Maybe lol, didn't want to be rude on this thread though:)

Also, can we get peeps to post where they go and what they do for Rememberance Day please. I'd like to do something other then just the moment of silence we take.

Back
Top Bottom