Registering a Quebec plated bike in Ontario | GTAMotorcycle.com

Registering a Quebec plated bike in Ontario

beverage

I'm looking at a used bike that currently has a Quebec plate on it. The bike and owner currently reside in Ontario (Trenton, military town, regular transfers). What is the best approach to acquiring the bike and getting it registerd in Ontario. I'm of the opinion that the current owner should transfer registration to Ontario, then I'll buy it. Based on some other threads I've read, it sounds like there are a few hoops involved with switching Quebec registered bike to Ontario along with change of ownership.

Branding is a concern, if the vehicle has a QC brand (VGA crashed, flood damaged) and has been repaired, it's considered a irreparable in ON -- can't be registered for the road. Make your sale conditional on the owner transferring the bike to UNFIT ON status before money changes hands.

Should not be needed if you get a temp plate for 14 days

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Transfer of ownership HAS to be done in Quebec, or owner has to license in Ontario then transfer ownership. If owner won't do it, something is not right. Walk.

Transfer of ownership HAS to be done in Quebec, or owner has to license in Ontario then transfer ownership. If owner won't do it, something is not right. Walk.

No it doesn't.
Other than the issue of a quebec branding, transferring an out of province vehicle is that same as in province.
Thay gots this thing called a computer and they can access Quebec or Newfoundland or EVEN British Columbia vehicle records...

Transfer of ownership HAS to be done in Quebec, or owner has to license in Ontario then transfer ownership. If owner won't do it, something is not right. Walk

nope ...we did it all in Ontario and considering I was buying from a QPP officer ...he would know. Just had to get the safety arranged and it all went smoothly - cept it was a rather chilly ride home from Ottawa.

I regularly transfer Quebec vehicles to Ontario. Signed Quebec ownership, safety if you want it plated in hand and you transfer it at any Ontario MTO office. Make sure you have a bill of sale for the transaction too.

No it doesn't.
Other than the issue of a quebec branding, transferring an out of province vehicle is that same as in province.
Thay gots this thing called a computer and they can access Quebec or Newfoundland or EVEN British Columbia vehicle records...

Last time I did it was in 1990. At that time you had to report to the Regie, get the change of ownership, then go to Ontario, have the car certified and then go to the Ministry for a license. I wanted to go straight to the Ministry. Quebec said no. If they've changed the system with a nation-wide computer system I suppose it could be a straight shot to the Ontario Ministry. A simple phone call would answer that.

Back
Top Bottom