Red Dawn Discussion | GTAMotorcycle.com

Red Dawn Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamenrider

Site Supporter
I think you attended Reddawn Trackdays at TMP.(July 14? right?. I remember your post.)
Racer5(Fawaz)'s track day is quite differently organized/operated. I am not comfortable with Reddown trackday rules at all, which discussed quite bit on this board before. I would rate Racer5 track day is the best track day held at TMP. They combine groups time to time but usually Novice & Inter/Advance two groups, rarely do one open track. Specially Racer 5 has their school going on using their 125cc bike in Novice group, novice group is usually very well organized. They usually recommend anyone not comfortable being passed to put big X on the back of leather, so the other riders know to be careful around X marked riders.

Re: TMP August 25th (Thursday)

^Yes, and that was me. And thanks for answering my question. If Racer5 did the same thing as Reddawn, I wouldn't bother showing up. There were zero rules at the Reddawn TD.

This is why many of "experienced" track day goers do not attend Reddawn track day....

It's a huge relief to read that Reddawn's TDs are the exception. I was thinking, "if this is the way TDs are put on, I'm not cut out for them." That said, I'll attend the ones put on by Turn2, Pro-6 and Racer5 and steer clear of Reddawn then. Whew!

^Yes, and that was me. And thanks for answering my question. If Racer5 did the same thing as Reddawn, I wouldn't bother showing up. There were zero rules at the Reddawn TD.

ah yes, red dawn. it all makes sense now. the guys who also let you run coolant!!!

ah yes, red dawn. it all makes sense now. the guys who also let you run coolant!!!

Yup. There were some people there complaining about that and hoping no one crashed and dumped any on the track. My bike is running water wetter (I switched it over for Calabogie), so my conscience was clear! ;)

It would be nice if we could run Engine Ice instead so I don't have to switch it back to coolant for the winter and have to do another flush in the spring back to Water Wetter. Rad flushes are a PITA.

Reddawn also didn't expect folks to tape up lights, unplug fuses, etc. I did it just as a matter of propriety/principle. It was weird to see bikes out there with headlights on and actually seeing people's brake lights come on before the turns. Kind of takes your concentration away.

/threadjack.

It's a huge relief to read that Reddawn's TDs are the exception. I was thinking, "if this is the way TDs are put on, I'm not cut out for them." That said, I'll attend the ones put on by Turn2, Pro-6 and Racer5 and steer clear of Reddawn then. Whew!
With all do respect, my advice to you if you are on the track and taking corners at slow speed with no lean angle (maybe 10mph) then you should definitely take some classes. Anyone riding at such slow speeds on the track is a receipe for disaster. Anyone that does not have track experience should sign up for a track school. I don't think it is fair that you blame red dawn for your unpleasant track day when your riding skills are not very good and I won't get into how many people had complained about the accidents you almost created. I was listening to you talk at the red dawn track day about when you were at Calabogie and how you were going so fast that the rubber was flying off your tires..... come on! I certainly don't want to discourage anyone from doing track days but you definitely need to take some classes. Red dawn may not be for everyone but personally I have had a blast every time I have gone. As far as racer5 goes, they are amazing and Fawaz is an awesome guy, but they are very different in how they run there track days. Is anyone better than the other, thats a matter of personal opinion. Anyways if you take some classes you will enjoy yourself much more as you will ride with confidence but don't bad mouth red dawn for your inexperience. Many new people come out to Red dawn track days and keep coming back because it is a blast!

We are currently at the Nationals at Mosport with our Students in the CBR challenge so we haven't been able to attend to these posts. Best way to contact us would be to email our info line at info@racer5.ca.That being said I did have to take time away to correct this very erroneous statement, we have never allowed a bike on track with coolant or any glycol based additive. With our very close affiliation with racing organizations, rider education, and comminent to safety it would take quite an imagination (and second hand information) to think we would ever knowingly allow a bike with coolant on track. We ask that riders flush their coolant, tape their headlights, tie up kickstands as well as ensure that their bikes are in safe operation condition. Tech information can be found on the TMP website, the same website you would need to go to register for a day with us.Thanks,Fawaz
Hey Fawaz when I was at your first track day of the season this year you were allowing people to run with coolant at TMP. Am I right or wrong?

With all do respect, my advice to you if you are on the track and taking corners at slow speed with no lean angle (maybe 10mph) then you should definitely take some classes. Anyone riding at such slow speeds on the track is a receipe for disaster. Anyone that does not have track experience should sign up for a track school. I don't think it is fair that you blame red dawn for your unpleasant track day when your riding skills are not very good and I won't get into how many people had complained about the accidents you almost created. I was listening to you talk at the red dawn track day about when you were at Calabogie and how you were going so fast that the rubber was flying off your tires..... come on! I certainly don't want to discourage anyone from doing track days but you definitely need to take some classes. Red dawn may not be for everyone but personally I have had a blast every time I have gone. As far as racer5 goes, they are amazing and Fawaz is an awesome guy, but they are very different in how they run there track days. Is anyone better than the other, thats a matter of personal opinion. Anyways if you take some classes you will enjoy yourself much more as you will ride with confidence but don't bad mouth red dawn for your inexperience. Many new people come out to Red dawn track days and keep coming back because it is a blast!

With all due respect to, Chris, that was my FIRST EVER DOWN. In 5 years riding. I know you're used to seeing crashes on the street and on the track (hell, riding with you guys at the beginning of the summer and watching that new rider go down on her Ninja 250 was the first ever crash I have witnessed in the flesh). What the heck do you expect from a rider who has never crashed before? Someone to just get back on their bike and slam it around? That would be retarded.

Come on over and inspect my tires from last weekend at Calabogie if you think my riding 'skillz' are so bad. And feel free to have a chat with them at Turn2 while you're at it. To quote my instructor from last weekend, "You're fine on this track. Go out alone because these two (i.e., the other two in the group) need my help. You don't. I'll just follow you around every once in a while and see how you're doing." Yeah. My skills suck so bad that a Turn2 instructor let me take 'Bogie alone. :rolleyes:

Lastly, if you think a rider who has never been on a track should suddenly morph into Colin Edwards in an afternoon, then you're seriously deluded. Every single trackhead I've spoken to has told me getting your confidence back after a down is the hardest thing to do. But here you're talking smack. C'mon. Get with it.

The blatant truth of it is that it's dangerous to have green, yellow and red riders on the track at the same time. For EVERYONE involved. It's terrible organization. I wasn't the only one who complained and it was brought up in the meeting at lunch that they were contemplating holding sessions to separate groups. So don't piss on me when I wasn't alone in my criticism.

Btw, I'm not blaming anyone but myself for my lowside. I'm not some ego case. It was my fault. Pure and simple. Getting back out there anxious with a bunch of yellow and red level riders was pretty scary.

Last edited by a moderator:

red dawn's ghetto *** track days have nothing to do with anyone's riding ability.

Hey Fawaz when I was at your first track day of the season this year you were allowing people to run with coolant at TMP. Am I right or wrong?

Wrong. I know Racer5 does not allow glycol now that said its almost an honor system. The inspector will ask "Did you remove the coolant?" kinda up to you to do the right thing. Pretty hard to inspect on some bikes.
For all you trackday types regardless of the rules
REMOVE ALL GLYCOL its freakin slippery and YES that inclides engine ice. There is little difference between Propylene and Ethylene Glycol from someone who has hit the ground (more than once) on someone else's fluids. Its unfair, dangerous and unnecessary.

red dawn's ghetto *** track days have nothing to do with anyone's riding ability.

Thank you for this. Again, good to read that not everyone runs their TDs like the unlocking of the baboon cages.

++++++++++

Chris, I was going to walk away from this as the bigger person, but F you. C'mon and bring out the testimonials of all those people who claimed I almost caused them to crash. Go for it. I'd be interested to hear it considering I did all of 14 laps total after my crash. If that. I wouldn't have gone back out at all if J and K hadn't been as awesome as they were and replaced my clutch lever and perch. I couldn't say no after that. And let's ignore how I intentionally held bad lines so I wouldn't hold anyone else up and wouldn't get arse-packed. Oh, and how I consistently went back into the pits every time the track had more than 3 riders on it. But yes, let's hear these testimonials from the masses of riders. Did I cause you to go off-roading? What was that? Your BIKE threw a false neutral, I believe you said. Sorry sweetheart, but YOU mis-shifted.

You've got your panties in a knot because you think I'm attacking your buddy, who happens to run the Reddawn days. Well get over it. I suppose I should be surprised by this from a guy who pulls wheelies in group rides through Wasaga Beach. :rolleyes:

Everyone I've met at the track has been wonderful, given great advice, and been genuinely helpful. Except for you, Chris. I highly recommend you learn from the example of others.

Wrong. I know Racer5 does not allow glycol now that said its almost an honor system. The inspector will ask "Did you remove the coolant?" kinda up to you to do the right thing. Pretty hard to inspect on some bikes.
For all you trackday types regardless of the rules
REMOVE ALL GLYCOL its freakin slippery and YES that inclides engine ice. There is little difference between Propylene and Ethylene Glycol from someone who has hit the ground (more than once) on someone else's fluids. Its unfair, dangerous and unnecessary.

First of all for the record I run water wetter, the bike is wired yada yada yada. I know that many people were running anti freeze and know one was complaining about then and it was known. So Ken since you weren't there you should button it and quit talking like you were there. I'm just so sick and tired of people talking about red dawn and how they allow anti freeze when many other track day organizers allow it also. Ken I know your dead against antifreeze or any other liquid with glycol and thats great I agree that its better to be safe than sorry, but don't act like red dawn is the only one that allows it. I will not lie about what I see and if I see that racer5 was allowing it then I am going to be open about it but don't tell me that they didn't when you weren't even there!

Exactly. Which is why online tiffs like this are so very strange...we are the same people when we are at our keyboards, no?

Definitely not. lol People are more likely to keep their mouths shut or talk about you behind your back in the real world.

Yup. There were some people there complaining about that and hoping no one crashed and dumped any on the track. My bike is running water wetter (I switched it over for Calabogie), so my conscience was clear! ;)

It would be nice if we could run Engine Ice instead so I don't have to switch it back to coolant for the winter and have to do another flush in the spring back to Water Wetter. Rad flushes are a PITA.

Reddawn also didn't expect folks to tape up lights, unplug fuses, etc. I did it just as a matter of propriety/principle. It was weird to see bikes out there with headlights on and actually seeing people's brake lights come on before the turns. Kind of takes your concentration away.

/threadjack.
Name one person that was complaining! please PM me and tell me if you don't want to mention it on the forum. Also engine ice is just as slick as anti freeze, just thought I would mention it since you like to too so much about things you know nothing about!

Name one person that was complaining! please PM me and tell me if you don't want to mention it on the forum. Also engine ice is just as slick as anti freeze, just thought I would mention it since you like to too so much about things you know nothing about!

Things I know nothing about, eh? The frickin' ORGANIZER himself said, and I quote: "some riders are complaining that the track is too congested and that we have riders of different levels out there, so we're thinking about breaking everyone up into sessions this afternoon." You were there and seem to remember so much, but not this? What a conveniently selective memory you have. :rolleyes:

Funny about the Engine Ice, too. It's what they allow on US tracks, and I remember having a conversation about it with a Turn2 instructor about it as well. But I guess all the US tracks and the folks at Turn2 don't know jack.

08 cbr1000 your a very angry person or come across as much in tthis thread. Everyone is entitled to their thoughts on this matter. Like it or not thats the way it is on the internet. State your thoughts but lets not attack each other can we?

It gets old real fast and then just turns into mud slinging.

I've done a trackday with other group running it and they allowed passing in green group on corners. Can you tell me that is normal or safe? This is why i went with Racer5 as i heard nothing but great things about them and they have never dispointed me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom