Raynauds and riding in cold weather | GTAMotorcycle.com

Raynauds and riding in cold weather

Onagoth

Been suffering through this on certain days since the start of the season. I think I have raynaud's at least on an intermittent basis.

Leaning towards heated liners and decent windproof snowmobile gloves. Any suggestions. Not looking to break the bank but all the glove lines seem quite pricey. The motorcycle gloves I have now are completely ill suited for cold weather.

I don't ride below 7-8 degrees, so it's just on my mornings that I would need this for. It's pretty much all 401 or regional highways to work.

THanks,

Not sure what you consider breaking the bank is...
I ride with the First Gear Carbon heated gloves which have light armour in them and fit well. They also have good tactile feeling for the handlebar controls. I am amazed at the asking price for them. I bought these for $90 at Parker Brothers (RIP).
Firstgear Carbon Heated Gloves

I also have the Gerbing G3's which I find are excellent for the days below zero, but the tradeoff is they are more bulky. They are very comfy and a little cheaper so you may like these. Gerbing G3 Heated Motorcycle Gloves for Men - 12V Motorcycle - The Warming Store

I have a pair of heated liners, which are good, but since they fit under my regular riding gloves which are already a snug fit, these don't make much sense to me. Firstgear Warm and Safe Heated Glove Liners

Heated socks are great too - very comfy and no more cold toes: Firstgear Heated Socks

Whatever you choose, make sure that you get some sort of good controller to dial up and down the heat.

Thanks for the suggestions

First gear is kind of breaking the bank....carbons are $250 at Fortnine and the slim liners are $180 I think

Th G3s look interesting....I'll take a closer look

I suffer pretty badly with Reynauds. I have hand guards to block the wind, heated grips, heated gloves (firedupx), and gears gen3 heated liners with jacket.
My biggest problem is smoking, as Reynauds is a circulatory issue. If you smoke, quit. I was also recommended to begin cardio training regularly to promote better blood flow.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

The best bang for the buck is Hippo Hands or similar fabric covers. I've picked up generic versions for as little as $5 at Princess Auto. They're ugly, but they really do work well. Punch a hole through them and zip tie them to your bar end to keep the wind from pressing them back into your levers if you don't also have handguards.

Handguards by themselves help a bit, but too much wind makes its way around them for my liking unless it's just a short ride.

Heated grips are worth the investment - specifically, the Oxford Heaterz. They pull double the amps of most other heated grips and they get HOT.

I started with glove liners, but you need an oversized glove to use them so it was just more convenient to go with regular heated gloves than the liners. The gloves are still not convenient, but better than the liners.

A combination of one or more of the above is the most effective approach. Hippo Hands or handguards will make heated grips or heated gloves way more effective. On my naked bike I only have the heated grips (Koso Apollo's - they're prettier than the Oxford Heaterz), but I can barely feel them because the wind just strips the heat away so quickly.

I do have handguards but you're right, I haven't noticed much of a difference.

Do you have a link to the cheap princess auto ones....not sure what they're called other than "hippo hands"

The ones I got were on closeout, and it looks like PA doesn't have an equivalent anymore. They're often called "handlebar muffs" or "handlebar mitts". There should be lots of cheap options on Amazon and Alibaba. Something like this, for example.

The cheap ones are often a bit small inside, so it can be sketchy to get to the turn signals/etc. I've de-stitched some of these to get more room near the switches.

How does handlebar vibration affect you guys? My guy has HAVS and his hands go numb after 15-20 mins of riding. I got him some grip puppies (supposed to be vibration absorbing foam grips that install over top of yours). He hasn't tried them yet. I'm hoping we'll be able to go on some rides without stopping so often.

I do have handguards but you're right, I haven't noticed much of a difference.

Do you have a link to the cheap princess auto ones....not sure what they're called other than "hippo hands"
I have a pair of the generic ones which I got for free from a member of this site a few years ago and never ended up using or modifying. You are welcome to have them if you like. I'm in West Mississauga.
URL]]
i-Fd5NbS2-X3.jpg

How does handlebar vibration affect you guys? My guy has HAVS and his hands go numb after 15-20 mins of riding. I got him some grip puppies (supposed to be vibration absorbing foam grips that install over top of yours). He hasn't tried them yet. I'm hoping we'll be able to go on some rides without stopping so often.
Depending on the type of bike and style of handlebar there's a couple things he can try. Put weight in the handlebar to reduce vibration(bar snake, or bb's), switch to an aluminum handlebar (renthal etc). Either way will help to reduce vibration. You could also look into vibration reducing handlebar mounts.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

I know you said that you did not want to break the bank but you've got a permanent condition and I don't think you're going to be satisfied with anything other than proper heated gloves and a controller that allows you to fine tune level of heat.

Warm & Safe Heated Clothing the Warmest Clothing in the Universe

The Rider Classic Style Men's Heated Gloves

Single Remote Control Heat-troller Set

Large up front cost at about $250 US , but they last many years and the annualized cost would be $25 - $35 bucks, which is dirt cheap if it helps you to be comfortable.

Well...to be honest I haven’t been diagnosed or anything, but I did have a completely white finger when I got to work this morning (on my throttle hand)....it wasn’t even that cold, maybe around 12 degrees

Heated grips are on the way. Will also look for heated gloves if that’s not enough.

Just have to bite the bullet I guess

Heated everything was the only thing that worked for me, but I would ride into freezing temperatures. I have a heated jacket, boot insoles and gloves. That's what it took to keep fingers from going white.

I’m hoping I will be fine with just heating the hands

I don’t feel it anywhere else but I do get the concept of keeping the core warm

Thanks for the advice folks

Holy cow what a difference heated grips make. Rode to work today in 7 degree weather which would have frozen my finger tips before...today I actually had to turn down the heat because it was so toasty

Very happy so far with the grips

Back
Top Bottom