R6 street handling? | GTAMotorcycle.com

R6 street handling?

Bryantist

Hey, I'm currently considering upgrading from an ER6N to an R6, but there are many negative reviews about the bike being frustrating to ride on the street because it doesn't have enough low end torque. Is it really as bad and unsuitable for the street as some people claim? I understand that it's a track bike first and foremost, but I'd like to hear how some R6 owners feel about it.

I would be using it mainly for street riding, twisties and highways.

For the R6 the insurance is reasonable, I'm a taller rider and the ergos are comfortable to me more than other SS bikes I've sat on, and of course I love the look of the bike (who doesn't).

I love my ER6N, but it would be nice to have a new riding experience so any input will be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
I've had mine for a few years now and mainly use it for commuting and weekend runs. It's definitely not the most comfortable bike to be on in traffic but you get used to it. The low end torque isn't there but it gets the job done. It's a fantastic bike, especially in the higher RPM's, but if I were to get another SS I would go with something more comfortable. If you get it you'll have a good time on it. Enjoy!

I think the low end torque would comparing to the other bikes in its class (600RR, ZX6R, GSXR600). You'll probably find it having an insane amount of power relative to the ER6N and not even comparable.
I just went from a ZX6R to a Gladius (SV twin) and it's VERY different. The SV has plenty of torque and power but the ZX6R was much more snappy. The best I can describe is that with the supersport you'd better maintain clarity of mind every time you go for throttle, where the lower power twin has more room for error (though I don't recommend making errors). It's just not the same response from a fast twist of the wrist.
Reason for the change was comfort and insurance and I'm tired of dealing with body plastics.

A GSX-R750 should check all of your boxes......probably the most comfortable SS, more torque than a 600-class machine, probably little or no more expensive than a R6.

Hey, I'm currently considering upgrading from an ER6N to an R6, but there are many negative reviews about the bike being frustrating to ride on the street because it doesn't have enough low end torque. Is it really as bad and unsuitable for the street as some people claim? I understand that it's a track bike first and foremost, but I'd like to hear how some R6 owners feel about it.

I would be using it mainly for street riding, twisties and highways.

The insurance is reasonable, I'm a taller rider and the ergos are comfortable to me more than other SS bikes, and of course I love the look of the bike (who doesn't).

I love my ER6N, but it would be nice to have a new riding experience so any input will be appreciated.

Thanks

All these points suggest you are probably already on your ideal bike.

I can't see how a tall person could be comfortable on a R6

Yeah, I'm 5'9" and am comfortable on my gf's r6, I cant see anybody much taller than me being comfortable on an r6 for very long.
The bike loves the revs and has little torque as you said so city riding requires some work.
I have a gsxr750 and definitely prefer it in the city.

I think the low end torque would comparing to the other bikes in its class (600RR, ZX6R, GSXR600). You'll probably find it having an insane amount of power relative to the ER6N and not even comparable.
I just went from a ZX6R to a Gladius (SV twin) and it's VERY different. The SV has plenty of torque and power but the ZX6R was much more snappy. The best I can describe is that with the supersport you'd better maintain clarity of mind every time you go for throttle, where the lower power twin has more room for error (though I don't recommend making errors). It's just not the same response from a fast twist of the wrist.
Reason for the change was comfort and insurance and I'm tired of dealing with body plastics.

I'm really going to have to ride an SS one day because I can't see how a bike with high torque at half the RPM of another can feel less snappy (SV650 has the same peak torque as a 600SS but at half the RPM).

I have a current generation R6. I have put 22,000km's on it in 3 years, most of which were in the first 2. I have 1 track day on it.

Some personal thoughts:
If you're not planning on doing track days, don't get this bike... It is a lot of fun and it looks amazing. It runs awesome as well.. but there are some drawbacks.
If you're not going to do extended highway riding on it, and you can re-gear it to be easier to manage at lower speeds..that will help.
If you're not interested in modding it, that is a good thing as it gets a little complicated with full exhaust systems, the power commander, and the limitations of the stock ECU. If you are, then there's a fair bit to learn and some decisions are tough to make in terms of direction you should follow.
No traction control, and the bike can and will spin up the rear in first gear, or in 2nd gear when it's wet, just by accelerating hard.

Bike feels amazing through the turns and on ramps.
Took 5 seconds off my best ever lap on my SV650 at TMP the first track day I rode on it, and wasn't even riding hard.
High quality bike that is put together well. Compared to current generation Ninja it is quite a bit different in terms of how the fairings attach to each other and the bike. A bit of a pain to put together when working on it, but quality is apparent.

I am seriously considering getting a Hypermotard SP as my next bike, right now.

If you're not interested in track days, maybe you should reconsider... if you are, ... Akrapovic full system and great shape, track bodywork included... make an offer? lol ... j/k... or am I?

Totally different feeling, that's all I can say. Now that I have your expectations up you'll see no appreciable difference when you approach your first SS ride with all the caution due.

I'm really going to have to ride an SS one day because I can't see how a bike with high torque at half the RPM of another can feel less snappy (SV650 has the same peak torque as a 600SS but at half the RPM).

I don't know that snappy is the correct term for an inline 4... but the difference seems to happen when the guy on the SV shifts from first 2 second, the guy on the R6 still has it punched... and then the guy on the R6 shifts into 2nd when the guy on the SV goes into 3rd. This pattern seems to repeat until the the SV is a speck in the mirrors...

30 kph roll on the throttle with no clutch... SV wins

I don't know that snappy is the correct term for an inline 4... but the difference seems to happen when the guy on the SV shifts from first 2 second, the guy on the R6 still has it punched... and then the guy on the R6 shifts into 2nd when the guy on the SV goes into 3rd. This pattern seems to repeat until the the SV is a speck in the mirrors...

30 kph roll on the throttle with no clutch... SV wins
Makes sense. The SV would run out of revs and need shifting sooner.

Makes sense. The SV would run out of revs and need shifting sooner.

They are actually quite fast bikes... up until about 9,500rpm. Don't forget that Power:Weight is part of it and not just peak torque/HP. SV is pretty light though.

They are actually quite fast bikes... up until about 9,500rpm. Don't forget that Power:Weight is part of it and not just peak torque/HP. SV is pretty light though.
Never said it was slow. Just that it'll run out of revs sooner since the redline is much lower on the SV.

From what I can find, the SV only weighs 20 lbs more than the R6. Although I guess that's about 5% of the weight but once you add the weight of a rider the difference drops to like 3%.

I have a current generation R6. I have put 22,000km's on it in 3 years, most of which were in the first 2. I have 1 track day on it.

Some personal thoughts:
If you're not planning on doing track days, don't get this bike... It is a lot of fun and it looks amazing. It runs awesome as well.. but there are some drawbacks.
If you're not going to do extended highway riding on it, and you can re-gear it to be easier to manage at lower speeds..that will help.
If you're not interested in modding it, that is a good thing as it gets a little complicated with full exhaust systems, the power commander, and the limitations of the stock ECU. If you are, then there's a fair bit to learn and some decisions are tough to make in terms of direction you should follow.
No traction control, and the bike can and will spin up the rear in first gear, or in 2nd gear when it's wet, just by accelerating hard.

Bike feels amazing through the turns and on ramps.
Took 5 seconds off my best ever lap on my SV650 at TMP the first track day I rode on it, and wasn't even riding hard.
High quality bike that is put together well. Compared to current generation Ninja it is quite a bit different in terms of how the fairings attach to each other and the bike. A bit of a pain to put together when working on it, but quality is apparent.

I am seriously considering getting a Hypermotard SP as my next bike, right now.

If you're not interested in track days, maybe you should reconsider... if you are, ... Akrapovic full system and great shape, track bodywork included... make an offer? lol ... j/k... or am I?

Thanks for your thoughts. Sounds like an awesome bike but won't be making an offer at this time lol

With my extensive time on multiple R6's, I can tell you that they are great machine. Definitely intended for the track, but I've done tens of thousands of KM's touring on mine and a ton of it was two up. I have some soft panniers (tail bags) and a tank bag for touring. It's a phenomenal handling machine. The ergo's aren't the best, but I don't mind. Very reliable, like all Jap bikes. I am currently running an aluminum sprocket set up (I highly recommend using steel, for more durability) of -1 front and +3 in the rear with a 520 chain ERV3 chain. This fixes any issue with torque... You can power wheelie in gears 1 to 3 and do rolling burnouts with ease. Top speed of 215 with this set up. The increase in usable power is most definitely worth it. I racked up 35+ thousand km last season on mine. Phenomenal machine for carving corners, track, weekend rides or as a daily driver.

I've owned zx cbr gsx 600's and even a cbr 1000. Just picked up the r6 for double duties track and street. I've only ridden it on street so far and it is the most uncomfortable bike I have ever used. I regret getting it. I'm short BTW. Went to Niagara and my arms hands legs and ass all hurt. I'm young and in decent shape. IMO unless it's a pure track bike look at something else

Back
Top Bottom