R1 vs CBR600RR... | GTAMotorcycle.com

R1 vs CBR600RR...

E. Honda

So I was found an 09 R1 for a pretty decent price and was considering moving up from my 08 CBR.

I love the cbr even though its my first bike and don't have much to compare it to, but I'm a bigger guy (about 6'2" 230lbs) and figured a 1000cc would suit me better now that I have a few years experience.

Anyone have experience on both that could point out any major differences? Does the R1 handle much differently? Is the upgrade to 1000cc a huge difference in power? Any issues with the 09 R1 or R1's in general?

I was pretty surprised at how narrow the R1 felt. Wondering if there are any other surprises I might get.

Any input would be appreciated

I can't offer much in terms of comparing the CBR to the R1, but I can comment on the difference in power.

I ride a Ninja 250, since last year. I'm a noob. I demo rode a CBR600 a while back, have demoed a GSXR750. One day, at Ready Honda, I demo rode the VFR800 (~110-120 hp I think) and the VFR1200. The VFR1200 was insane, felt like I was hanging on for dear life when I gave that thing WOT in 1st and 2nd gear. Pure awesome. I rode it thinking it's the revision of the older VFR800. Probably more powerful, but I figured, can't be that much.

It was weeks later that I found out the VFR1200 has 170hp. So if a complete idiot like me can handle a 170hp bike vs. his 28hp bike, without even really realizing, then I'm sure someone like you coming from a CBR600 can handle a litre bike. The power delivery is likely different from a VFR1200, but I can't imagine it being out of the ordinary for you.

So if a complete idiot like me can handle a 170hp bike vs. his 28hp bike, without even really realizing, then I'm sure someone like you coming from a CBR600 can handle a litre bike. The power delivery is likely different from a VFR1200, but I can't imagine it being out of the ordinary for you.

Wow, that's a word of experience. "I handled VFR1200 on a demo ride, so you can ride an R1, no problemo!" Sorry, couldn't hold it!

To the OP, why not go and ask for a test drive (test ride?) at the dealerships like Brampton Powersports? This way you will know how the bike feels... They also sell Honda bikes, so you might be able to compare it to a liter Honda bike too.

R1 - first ride.... I was at a stop sign.... started rolling on.... didn't think anything of it.... looked down and I was doing over 70kph in 1st and a ton of revs left. SAY WHAT?

No way man.... way too easy to go way too fast. Awesome bike.

I have an older CBR600..... I just wouldn't want anything even smoother and faster than that. At the end of the day, you'll just turn the throttle harder on the CBR than you will the R1.... speed won't change.

I love the cbr even though its my first bike and don't have much to compare it to, but I'm a bigger guy (about 6'2" 230lbs) and figured a 1000cc would suit me better now that I have a few years experience.
So question: do you feel you've really explored the outer performance of the 600RR? Need more power through the corners? 'Cause really, a litre bike will take you quicker in a straight line, but they're about the same through the corners.

So question: do you feel you've really explored the outer performance of the 600RR? Need more power through the corners? 'Cause really, a litre bike will take you quicker in a straight line, but they're about the same through the corners.

No I think I'm far from the outer performance of my cbr, especially in corners. But there are some times at higher (straight line) speeds where I wouldn't mind the extra power.

I'm a bit confused though, so you're saying that a 1000 will be no faster through a corner than a 600? Why is that?

No I think I'm far from the outer performance of my cbr, especially in corners. But there are some times at higher (straight line) speeds where I wouldn't mind the extra power.

I'm a bit confused though, so you're saying that a 1000 will be no faster through a corner than a 600? Why is that?

Corner speed is more limited to the overall weight of the bike due to the maximum Gs your tires can withstand without losing grip. That of course with suspension set-up.

The 600 will be faster through the corners. Smaller bike, smaller tire (180), more nimble, it will fall into the corners.

Supersport bikes look identical. A new Gixx 600 beside a 1000, exhaust swapped out will look exactly the same. Two entirely different bikes tho. A 600 you need to ride like a snake...revs up...and smooth into and out of the corners. Picture the fluidity of the motion of s snake. A 1000 you point, shoot, stop, point, shoot, stop. You being a bigger guy, it will help as 1000's need muscle to maneuver. A little guy on a 1000 will get ridden by the bike at higher speeds.

Watch AMA, or SBK and watch how much more exciting the 600's are. And watch how different the bikes are ridden!

MotoGP are going to 1000's next year, so you'll see the same between the MotoGP and MotoGP2 class. The 600's are much more exciting to watch IMO.

I don't like the narrow-ness of the R1. Nor the CBR. They feel "skeletal" to me. That's why I ride Suzuki. They're a fatter bike. It feels like there's something under you. No offense to any Yamaha or Honda guys intended.

Last edited:
R1 - first ride.... I was at a stop sign.... started rolling on.... didn't think anything of it.... looked down and I was doing over 70kph in 1st and a ton of revs left. SAY WHAT?

No way man.... way too easy to go way too fast. Awesome bike.

I have an older CBR600..... I just wouldn't want anything even smoother and faster than that. At the end of the day, you'll just turn the throttle harder on the CBR than you will the R1.... speed won't change.

So are you saying the R1 can perform better, but the CBR suits your needs and/or riding style?

A liter bike might have better straight line acceleration and top speed, but in really tight gnarly corners, the extra acceleration on tap makes the throttle more sensitive and makes the bike more difficult to ride. The available acceleration and top speed of either a 600 or a 1000 are both beyond anything that anyone NEEDS for a street bike.

I have a liter bike. I also have a cbr125, and I ride that one more (by a lot). I doubt if I'll ever buy a street bike bigger than 250cc again. There's no need for them, and the light weight makes them incredibly flickable. (My 125 has suspension work and better tires.)

A liter bike might have better straight line acceleration and top speed, but in really tight gnarly corners, the extra acceleration on tap makes the throttle more sensitive and makes the bike more difficult to ride. The available acceleration and top speed of either a 600 or a 1000 are both beyond anything that anyone NEEDS for a street bike.

I have a liter bike. I also have a cbr125, and I ride that one more (by a lot). I doubt if I'll ever buy a street bike bigger than 250cc again. There's no need for them, and the light weight makes them incredibly flickable. (My 125 has suspension work and better tires.)

It a shame not enough people think like you, but l guess everyone needs to try the bike of their dreams before they get start becoming wise. Personally l dont think inlines make a good street bike. I got the CBR600rr but l miss my previous sv650 more and more everyday.

I am luckly enough to be on an 09 R1 with the new crank technology and it is nothing like any past 1000 I have (ever) ridden (CBR1000RR last bike).

I have also had an older CBR600 (F2) and rode an 08 for a couple of hours down at the Gap last year.

I'm 6'1" just under 200 lbs and the R1 is effortless to ride, one of the quickest steering bikes i have ridden but brakes don't compare to the Honda at all, my CBR was a two finger pull, not sure how many times on my R1 I have had to use my whole hand and its not cos I was going faster, probably due more to weight as the 09 R1 is the heaviest litre bike out there.

My 600, you have to rev the nuts of it to get it moving but alot of fun once you are, I personally got tired of the buzzing all the time and the vibration through the handle bars was numbing for any length of time.

The 600 at the gap was a blast, but personally I prefer a bike that takes less effort to ride.

In between my CBR600 and CBR1000 I was on an RC 51 and my R1 compares more to the RC than the CBRs, pulls like a train.

At the end of the day, best bet is to test ride if possible and decide from there

Whats your intended use?

I commute with the bike around town, but for most of my riding I'm outside the city where I can get a mix of twisties and open road. Also planning to start doing some track days next season. Wouldn't mind trying some stunting but it's not really a priority.

You'll enjoy the R1 more. 100% guaranteed. The insane jump in power is refreshing and overwhelming all at once. I find that I4 600 supersports make very lousy street bikes because of the crappy nearly-useless power delivery.

If you comfortably handle a 600, you'll have no problems on a 1000. You gotta take a little more care because of the sensitivity of the throttle, but an experienced rider does this naturally anyway and it won't be a problem.

As for track use; you can take the R1 to the track, it's no big deal. The same principles apply; easy and smooth on the throttle and you'll live through the lap. You'd probably be faster on a 600 because you can ride it harder, but who cares.. you're not out there racing, you're out there having fun.

I am luckly enough to be on an 09 R1 with the new crank technology and it is nothing like any past 1000 I have (ever) ridden (CBR1000RR last bike).

I have also had an older CBR600 (F2) and rode an 08 for a couple of hours down at the Gap last year.

I'm 6'1" just under 200 lbs and the R1 is effortless to ride, one of the quickest steering bikes i have ridden but brakes don't compare to the Honda at all, my CBR was a two finger pull, not sure how many times on my R1 I have had to use my whole hand and its not cos I was going faster, probably due more to weight as the 09 R1 is the heaviest litre bike out there.

My 600, you have to rev the nuts of it to get it moving but alot of fun once you are, I personally got tired of the buzzing all the time and the vibration through the handle bars was numbing for any length of time.

The 600 at the gap was a blast, but personally I prefer a bike that takes less effort to ride.

In between my CBR600 and CBR1000 I was on an RC 51 and my R1 compares more to the RC than the CBRs, pulls like a train.

At the end of the day, best bet is to test ride if possible and decide from there

Thanks a lot of good info in this response.

So when ppl say that 600s are 'a blast' to ride is that due to the fact that you have to be redlining the bike (or reving the nuts off it) and moving up and down through the gears constantly while riding hard? Does that mean generally on a 1000 you just sit in 2nd or 3rd most of the time?

Thanks a lot of good info in this response.

So when ppl say that 600s are 'a blast' to ride is that due to the fact that you have to be redlining the bike (or reving the nuts off it) and moving up and down through the gears constantly while riding hard? Does that mean generally on a 1000 you just sit in 2nd or 3rd most of the time?

Everything you can do on a 600, you can do on a 1000. It takes a little more finesse, that's all. There is nothing advantageous or inherently more fun about a 600, especially on the street. People who claim otherwise just haven't owned a liter bike. Then there are folks like BrianP who prefer to ride a 125 vs a ZX10R, but that's understandable because the difference in size and weight is massive, whereas the difference between a 6 and a 10 is marginal.

Back
Top Bottom