Quick Question | GTAMotorcycle.com

Quick Question

FJRgeezer

I have recently rehabilitated a 42 year old bike I still had kicking around. It is still registered to me but hasn’t had a valid sticker for 38 years or so, my question is, am I required to get the bike inspected before I can get a new sticker for it ? Actually the registration is so old that in those days you got a new plate every year not a sticker, so it has a plate with 1981 on it. It has never been sold etc. just stopped buying plates/stickers for it many years ago. I have the ownership for it as well. So what is the consensus on this situation?

Rumor has it that if you can obtain insurance for it, you can take that to the nice lady behind the counter for a new sticker for your old plate.

2-stroke?

I have recently rehabilitated a 42 year old bike I still had kicking around. It is still registered to me but hasn’t had a valid sticker for 38 years or so, my question is, am I required to get the bike inspected before I can get a new sticker for it ? Actually the registration is so old that in those days you got a new plate every year not a sticker, so it has a plate with 1981 on it. It has never been sold etc. just stopped buying plates/stickers for it many years ago. I have the ownership for it as well. So what is the consensus on this situation?

I had a bike with no sticker for the past 8 years. Called insurance, got a policy, went to the website, paid for a sticker with my credit card and it showed up in the mail within a couple of weeks (might be longer with COVID). Pasted it on, and good to go. Didn't even have to talk to a real person face-to-face or anything.

If there are any hiccups, it will show up on the MTO web site when you try to buy your sticker. You can even do a trial run just to see if you have all the necessary information required:

Renew a licence plate sticker | Ontario.ca

It depends on how and when it was last registered.
If you just didn't renew the plates, meaning if the ownership you have is "fit-plated" or "plated" you're good to go, you need insurance, you don't need an inspection.
If you don't know what you're doing an inspection would be a GOOD thing.
If the last time it was registered was before '86 the MTO will not have any record of it. they'll search the VIN and if there are no new records associated with that VIN they should accept your ownership as proof of ownership.

I had a bike with no sticker for the past 8 years. Called insurance, got a policy, went to the website, paid for a sticker with my credit card and it showed up in the mail within a couple of weeks (might be longer with COVID). Pasted it on, and good to go. Didn't even have to talk to a real person face-to-face or anything.

If there are any hiccups, it will show up on the MTO web site when you try to buy your sticker. You can even do a trial run just to see if you have all the necessary information required:

Renew a licence plate sticker | Ontario.ca

pretty sure you can even get a divorce online now

My neighbour owns a service ontario office. No safety required if it is the same owner and had an expired sticker (as presumably that would mean it has a fit-plated ownership). Bitzz has a far better description that includes some edge cases that may catch your specific situation.

No change in ownership, no need for certification.

Or better sell me the bike for slightly more than sticker renewal price - win win situation.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

In 1979-80 to changed to computer (reel to reel tape ) many vehicles that had not been registered with a current plate got dropped from the system to save time and money. try to get the sticker online but if it doesn’t show up it may take some extra time and effort to reregister it. When I bought the triumph Tina it was registered in the sellers name but not on the system but that was a 1964 pink ownership.

Back
Top Bottom