Question for the Posties | GTAMotorcycle.com

Question for the Posties

timtune

Site Supporter
I don't get door to door so my postal code is for the Post office where I pick up mail and not my house.

This causes grief often because people like rogers and fedex want a postal code for my street address but it simply doesn't exist. This came to a head again today when my son was trying to change driver/health cards online today. Got stalled by a warning that the postal code was incorrect. Squeeze says people on FB in town complain about this. How can it be any different in any small town w/o door to door?

Is there a work around??

I don't get door to door so my postal code is for the Post office where I pick up mail and not my house.

This causes grief often because people like rogers and fedex want a postal code for my street address but it simply doesn't exist. This came to a head again today when my son was trying to change driver/health cards online today. Got stalled by a warning that the postal code was incorrect. Squeeze says people on FB in town complain about this. How can it be any different in any small town w/o door to door?

Is there a work around??
Go to Canada posts web site, enter your address and they will return your official postal code.

Postal codes with a “0” as the second character do not have granularity to a street, the zero in on a geographic area.

All address checkers in Canada test your address with a Canada post API service, I don’t think there are alternatives.

My house has two postal codes. The one I am supposed to use that only has a few houses in it and a postal code that covered a wide area of farms. I try to use the local code as much as possible but it gets flagged as invalid so I end up using the other postal code for amazon, some credit cards, etc. I have no idea how CP got themselves in that mess. Try to lookup your address on CP website and see what postal code they have. For me, I get the local one but obviously there is a database somewhere that doesn't acknowledge the local code.

Go to Canada posts web site, enter your address and they will return your official postal code.

Postal codes with a “0” as the second character do not have granularity to a street, the zero in on a geographic area.

All address checkers in Canada test your address with a Canada post API service, I don’t think there are alternatives.

Doing that I get my local code. My address fails when auto-checked by many systems if I don't use the "0" code for the area. Both codes get stuff to my box/house and neither gets me a grumpy note from the postie to cut it out.

My house has two postal codes. The one I am supposed to use that only has a few houses in it and a postal code that covered a wide area of farms. I try to use the local code as much as possible but it gets flagged as invalid so I end up using the other postal code for amazon, some credit cards, etc. I have no idea how CP got themselves in that mess. Try to lookup your address on CP website and see what postal code they have. For me, I get the local one but obviously there is a database somewhere that doesn't acknowledge the local code.
My new house has two addresses including different towns and postal codes.
#1 is the mailing address
#2 is the "house" address
Both show the same location on GPS etc.
We just use the mailing address for everything and so far so good...

Been there done that. They give a code for my box not my house. And right now it's just effed trying to get online car insurance. ARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!

Been there done that. They give a code for my box not my house. And right now it's just effed trying to get online car insurance. ARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!
when you type your address into google maps does it spit out a postal code?

If you have a rural and street base PC, that’s because CPC transferred your development from rural to local at some point.

Some online vendors will include your PC in their security validation which is different from delivery address verification.

In a security validation, the vendor checks your PC for a match with the billing address on your credit card or the address you provided at the time of registration. A security check doesn’t care if your PC is validated against your street address, only that it matches what they or your credit card company has on file. The don’t usually give you tips or hints on the checking stuff.

Try using the address that matches your credit card billing address.

Try using the address that matches your credit card billing address.
That doesn't work when the online process wants to autofill based on the CP database

That doesn't work when the online process wants to autofill based on the CP database
CPC address check is designed to provide a correct/corrected address for mail and package delivery. All couriers in Canada can deliver to a CPC-corrected address.

That shouldn't happen with a credit card check.

Interesting.

If you’re comfortable giving me a nearby street address I can make a query at the depot tomorrow. Feel free to PM

CPC address check is designed to provide a correct/corrected address for mail and package delivery. All couriers in Canada can deliver to a CPC-corrected address.

That shouldn't happen with a credit card check.
Finally Sonnets online autofill address bar offered me my address with a postal code with a different last 3 digits. I've never seen this before. The CR from Sonnet was perplexed by the whole postal code thing too. She could not provide an instant work around.
And the CP website doesn't seem to recognize the address??
Now I'm wondering if CP has a number of "generic" codes for each of the town wards. If so why don't they show up on the CP site?

Sonnet is a poorly designed site, they use CPC to select addresses, then their own internal database to determine whether they will insure that postal code.

I have Sonnet on one of my places up north, I tried to add it to another in the same Postal Code in November - when I used the "0" postal code I got a message that said "Looks like we’re having trouble finding your address" When I used the newer code, the message changed to " Unfortunately, we aren’t offering this product in your area at this time. Existing customers may be able to make policy changes when logged in." There are a lot of addresses Sonnet will not insure.

I finally contacted them by phone. They said they renew existing policies, but they won't allow changes or write new policies in some areas. I tried to convince Sonnet to let my buyers take over my claim-free policy - nope, nada... it was kiss-off buddy.

Other than the code hiccup Sonnet was a dream to work with and their price was awesome.
One of these days I'm going to spend the time to reprice my insurance. Right now I'm with 3 different insurers. Not everybody will insure all of the following:
Vintage bike (76 HondaCB750)
Vintage sled (80 Kawi Invader)
House with micro-fit solar install
Condo rental property

If I can find one place to accept all of the above there may be bundle pricing.

Wife is a letter carrier, her advice is to check with the clerk at your local post office as there should be a designation like a PO Box#.

The thing I am picking up from this thread is that there are a handful of lucky buggers that don't live in the GTA. I'm jelly.

Back
Top Bottom