Putting irreparable bike back on the road | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Putting irreparable bike back on the road

Ghost, that's why I'm also asking, do I need to declare it as custom and make sure its properly represented on paypers? Also, when u call insurance, you can tell them the custom CC of the bike...

Who remembers 7/11 gixer swaps??? Well, some ppl actually insured those as gsxr 1100 with 750 frame.

You guys are starting to miss the point.

And NO , I'm not gonna sell it , if it comes tothat, partout is my only option and I'm fully aware of it, wasn't born yesturday...

Even if the theoretical possibility exists of declaring your engine swap to the insurance company, the practical reality is that they will see your homegrown creation and refuse to insure it.

So they did NOT require a licensed mechanic to brand the bike yet you need them to undo what the other person did?\
*tired now, that may not make sense to what I am trying to say.
Ok, got through the first step of the process today so here's all the correct info:

They DON'T need a mechanic to look at the bike, that's only for cars, not motorcycles!

Motorcycles require a physical inspection by the MTO enforcement group (vehicle branding division). Their phone number is 800-387-7736 (mostly just for my records, lol).

If you call the above number they will fax you the Application for Reclassification of a Vehicle Brand (also available for pickup from any Service Ontario if you want to wait 45 mins while they find it), also available for download from me here (warning, 17MB file): http://fu172.com/Application_for_Reclassification_of_a_Vehicle_Brand.png (after my track day this weekend I'll probably convert it to a fill-out-able PDF file).

Fill out that form, include a story about why you think the current vehicle classification is wrong, photos, insurance repair estimate (in this case), mail it to the location listed on the form.

They will apparently contact you with a decision about coming out to inspect the motorcycle (or let you know they decided to throw your claim in the shredder and leave the branding as is).

I'll update this thread as the process continues :)

P.S. Some interesting reading:

Vehicle branding for noobs: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/branding/mandatory.shtml
More advanced topics: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/branding/faq.shtml

A total loss vehicle is a vehicle that has been damaged by collision, impact, fire or flood, or has been stolen and dismantled, such that the estimated cost of repairing it exceeds the difference between the fair market value of the vehicle immediately before it was damaged or stolen and its salvage value. "Salvage value" means the value of a damaged vehicle that is legitimately recoverable through commercial means of disposal.

Motorcycles are included under the "Irreparable" category where there is frame damage requiring replacement.

Last edited:
Thanks hpvchewy, from reading all thi, it is much easier just replacing the frame, from my consideration ;)
Otherwise its gona be 200+ there and 200+ here and so on... and i can get the frame on ebay for 400 ;)

Great read tho!!!! Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom