Purchased Used 2002 Zx7r Wont start now | GTAMotorcycle.com

Purchased Used 2002 Zx7r Wont start now

ghost_7r

I bought a used 2002 kawasaki zx7r streetfighter 2 weeks ago and test rode it prior to handing over the money. My co-worker has the same bike and the one I test rode handled and felt far far superior and cleaner than my co-workers, so I sealed the deal. However, a few friends came over to check the bike, I started it up to let them hear the full Akropovic exhaust system and then turned her off. A few minutes later they asked to make a video of the exhaust to show to some of their friends that ride. I went to start the bike, nothing. Ive spent days fiddling with this bike and tried my best with a voltmeter.

Technical Details:
Lights come on, if i disengage the killswitch i dont hear the fuel pump prime (I am told im supposed to)
If i hit the ignition button I get no crank, however if i bypass the relay the bike will crank but will not turn over.

I had a friend of a friend come over who is a mechanic, not sure what kind of mechanic but he said he needed my schematics in order to fully inspect. We spent like an hour and a half trying to jump the bike with a seperate wire. Im a noob when it comes to fixing a bike or knowing what to fix so i was just a helper.

I think it may be my killswitch :/ Any and all help is appreciated

Last edited:
not sure what you are doing messing with the electrical components.....dont mess with it unless you are sure about what you are doing?

If the bike started up before, but doesnt not, it could be one of many thing.....

Does the battery have enough voltage?

not sure what you are doing messing with the electrical components.....dont mess with it unless you are sure about what you are doing?

If the bike started up before, but doesnt not, it could be one of many thing.....

Does the battery have enough voltage?

Battery is fully charged, haver a trickler in my garage. I was looking into the electrical just to see if there was a break in the circuit somewhere. Why else would it not turn over after hitting the ignition button, it literally does nothing at all, not even a tick in the relay...

7R does not have a high pressure fuel pump. You will not hear the little fuel pump prime.

Are you trying to start it in gear? Check the sidestand switch. Check the fuse in the starter solenoid.

Check your main fuse first and then all other fuses to see if any are blown.

I was just gonna say, this seems a lot like the Gixxer 600 issue. It could be a fuse, after you have ensured that the fuses are working fine (not blown) then start looking into the wiring/electrical components.

Keep us posted!

Sorry for the late reply, I've been seeing to other things and gave the issue a rest, still not resolved, ill try answer all of u in one post though.

Caboose: Bike has been in neutral, ive tried doing it in first and pulling in the clutch, ive even tried PUSHING out the clutch and trying. Sidestand switch looks like its been tampered with by previous owner, possibly a bypass? Im not sure, the guy that came to check the bike said that the sidestand switch was bypassed.

Rider and Krana: we went to all the fuses with the meter and i think one (might?) have been fried... but it wasnt one in the main fuse box...

If it rains tomorrow it means i got a day off of work (i build houses) so ill be on the bike all day basically. ill keep you updated, i hope its as simple as the gixxer problem *crosses fingers

thanks for the input guys, anyone else with a 7r that has had this happen to them?

Don't use a volt meter on the fuses. Just:
(1) Disconnect your battery;
(2) Pull out fuses one by one with needle nose pliers and hold it up to light and see if its blown; should look like the image below (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-9-QXJh-YFSU/TbrR6Em2nWI/AAAAAAAAAnw/1uWwkOZtgy8/s1600/blown+car+fuse.jpg)
(3) Replace any blown ones with same amperage fuse.
(4) Put battery back in--keep the fuse box open and try to start the bike, if you see a flash from the fuse box it means you blew one again and you might have a wiring problem.

7Rs are known for this issue...its your fuse/relay holder that sits next to your battery. while holding the starter button press and wiggle that and any money it will catch.

I had an 01 7R with the exact same issue, luckily i had a spare fuse/relay holder....the board internally breaks the solder.

Whoever told you not to use a voltmeter on fuses is a backyard mechanic/dolt.

for two days i was chasing a problem on my VTR's taillights because i just looked at the fuses and assumed everything was good.

after two days i finally checked them with a voltmeter and sure enough the taillight fuse was blown...couldnt see it but the voltmeter confirmed it.

In this case there is no fuse for the starter other than the main relay/fuse combo that sits off to the side. but this is the main fuse for EVERYTHING so if it blew you wouldnt be getting the power to anything else.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom