Property Taxes | GTAMotorcycle.com

Property Taxes

inreb

Site Supporter
I don't like to grind my teeth into a fine white powder over stuff I have no control over so this has only just come onto my radar via a Hamilton Spectator piece by our Mayor. It seems we're getting some sort of light rapid transit dealio courtesy of a 1000 million $ from the province.
This piece included an explanation to the outlying jurisdictions who feel over taxed that their taxes will go down and inner city taxes up do to the projected increase in property values. How is an increase in home value ever a justification for tax increases?
I know this is sop procedure and as such we always take it lying down. But to gleefully sell this lrt idea to mostly nonusers on the backs of inner city folk when the whole cost is purportedly covered by the province anyway. It's getting so bad the politicos don't mind fu***** you to your face already.
You're property value increases for whatever reason, even if you're out of pocket for upgrades, and they bill you more taxes. Then they spend more. I guess that's one way to balance the books.

Last edited:
Find some neighbors with lower values, especially ones who have sold recently, and fight the increase.

Find some neighbors with lower values, especially ones who have sold recently, and fight the increase.

I appreciate the quick reply.

Good luck. I fought it before and got a reduction. Luck was with me as the guy before me making his case also added to mine when he "won".

Yeah, you used to be able to see online what your neighbors were paying and pick ones that were paying less as an example for your case.

Encourage your neighbors to start grow-ops in their basements. Or maybe start a brothel in your house. Maybe the local chapter of the Hell's Angels would be interested in buying property on your street. There's lots of ways to drive down the values of properties in your area. :p

Encourage your neighbors to start grow-ops in their basements. Or maybe start a brothel in your house. Maybe the local chapter of the Hell's Angels would be interested in buying property on your street. There's lots of ways to drive down the values of properties in your area. :p

Go redneck. Old washing machine on front lawn, rusty PU with gun rack, Deer heads all over and no lawn mower. Turn you place into a slum and reap the benefits of lower taxes while raising the city's social service costs.

Property taxes should be like an expense account. You pay them for what they do for you property. Why should your taxes go up because you keep your place neat?

If this is all about Hamilton prices have gone nuts the last few years so market value assessment will add a new angle to the definition of "Hammer".

Another weepy GTAM thread. What's next, a thread exploring the downside of death? Sheesh.

Another weepy GTAM thread. What's next, a thread exploring the downside of death? Sheesh.
Absolutely not. The living take priority.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Come on now, don't be silly! Someone spiked your morning java with an extra shot of sugar, and now we need to reign you in promptly.

There is no downside; eternal paradise await us all. 72 virgins if you go out with a bang.

Come to think of it...I didn't have any plans today.

So long and thanks for all the fish?

Good to see someone finally post a cogent response. You can't fight city hall.

I fought the law, and the law won.

parents tried this at their house after it was rebuilt...taxes went up nearly 8 grand to $17,000.

Only problem is most of the houses around are 'normal' whereas the new place is nearly 8000 sq/ft. Being literally walking steps from Dundas in a more desirable part of Mississauga the taxes are just crazy. If it was on Miss Rd. rather than being two lights over taxes would easily run in the mid 20's.

Last edited:
parents tried this at their house after it was rebuilt...taxes went up nearly 8 grand to $17,000.

Only problem is most of the houses around are 'normal' whereas the new place is nearly 8000 sq/ft. Being literally walking steps from Dundas in a more desirable part of Mississauga the taxes are just crazy. If it was on Miss Rd. rather than being two lights over taxes would easily run in the mid 20's.

This is a prime example of what I'm talking about. What additional value does the 8 grand buy you? Nothing. This is outrages but we just roll over because that's what we do. Are we supposed to be grateful because our property value went up? How is that any of city halls business? And then for the Mayor to appease outlying jurisdictions with the carrot of lower taxes based on projected increase for others is beyond the pale. And of course it goes without saying the taxes will not be lowered after all or minimally at best. People are ugly.

@inreb, you just don't get it do you? The taxes being increased is your payment for the privilege of improving your property and the general appeal of your area. #SeemsLegit ?

And then for the Mayor to appease outlying jurisdictions with the carrot of lower taxes based on projected increase for others is beyond the pale.

Why should the residents of Carlisle, Rockton, Winona, etc. subsidize a service they get zero value for or use of?

Why should the residents of Carlisle, Rockton, Winona, etc. subsidize a service they get zero value for or use of?

They shouldn't. Why are they paying so much taxes now? Whose side are you on?

I don't like to grind my teeth into a fine white powder over stuff I have no control over so this has only just come onto my radar via a Hamilton Spectator piece by our Mayor. It seems we're getting some sort of light rapid transit dealio courtesy of a 1000 million $ from the province.
This piece included an explanation to the outlying jurisdictions who feel over taxed that their taxes will go down and inner city taxes up do to the projected increase in property values. How is an increase in home value ever a justification for tax increases?

They shouldn't. Why are they paying so much taxes now? Whose side are you on?

You're telling me to pick a side? That's rich. The amalgamated areas have been complaining about a disparity of services in proportion to their arbitrary MVA tax increase ever since it's inception. The only parity I've seen in the increase is driving on the roads in Waterdown is now the same minefield as driving down Burlington St. in Hamilton proper. You live in the core. Your taxes are going up for a MVA increase. Suck it up.

You're telling me to pick a side? That's rich. The amalgamated areas have been complaining about a disparity of services in proportion to their arbitrary MVA tax increase ever since it's inception. The only parity I've seen in the increase is driving on the roads in Waterdown is now the same minefield as driving down Burlington St. in Hamilton proper. You live in the core. Your taxes are going up for a MVA increase. Suck it up.

This isn't about me, it's about unjustified taxes over all. I know you guys have been getting hosed. Mayor Fred is politiking for support of LRT by appealing to lower your taxes. He wants to buy your support by giving back what city hall stole in the first place. I'd consider that insulting, but there he is laying it out in the Hamilton Spectator like you're not even supposed to notice.

Back
Top Bottom