Private track | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Private track

Haha. We were working on a new subdivision downrange of a skeet club. Strange sounding patchy rain while doing a site visit. Figured out it was raining shot and talked to the club. "No way that is from us. Shot doesnt go that far". I hope they enjoyed their last season because there is no way they were going to be allowed to keep operating with a subdivision there. I wouldnt be surprised if the developer went after the club for contamination if a report flagged it.
You should have asked if they would like you to return fire, so they can see how far your shot carries ;)
:LOL: actually most of the people I know would not ask, they would have just returned fire.

Haha. We were working on a new subdivision downrange of a skeet club. Strange sounding patchy rain while doing a site visit. Figured out it was raining shot and talked to the club. "No way that is from us. Shot doesnt go that far". I hope they enjoyed their last season because there is no way they were going to be allowed to keep operating with a subdivision there. I wouldnt be surprised if the developer went after the club for contamination if a report flagged it.

Are they still using lead? I'm not into guns but I was under the impression some ducks were heavily contaminated with lead ingested from the bottom of ponds.

Are they still using lead? I'm not into guns but I was under the impression some ducks were heavily contaminated with lead ingested from the bottom of ponds.
No idea. I suspect not, but I suspect the club has been blasting away for a long time.

Another job I priced wanted to put in a 50 cal range, I'm not sure if they ever went ahead with that. Hopefully not as it would have cost them a lot and been quite useless now.

Lead shot was banned long ago for hunting but there are still a few billion old lead shot rounds out there and you can bet not many will go to recycling.

Lead shot was banned long ago for hunting but there are still a few billion old lead shot rounds out there and you can bet not many will go to recycling.
True enough. I still use lead shot when shooting skeet. No waterfowl roaming around my fields. Not sure what's in my turkey loads. My buddy loads them up; I'll need to ask him. I thought it was only illegal for waterfowl. I'll need to reread the regs.

Everything I have ever hand loaded was lead. If you have a stockpile of lead would you throw it out and buy something else? If you are putting something through the gun, who knows what is inside the shell?

On a side note, hand loading is a great calming activity. It's like meditation. Turn your brain off and repeat a task 1000 times. I don't shoot enough to set it up very often though.

Lead shot will be no problem, right up until the game officer catches you with one in the breech.

Lead shot will be no problem, right up until the game officer catches you with one in the breech.
I'd have bigger problems than lead at that point. Never bothered getting a PAL. I read the course but never bothered paying and getting the card. I stay on private property and the game warden stopped coming around once he got bored of a nuisance neighbour calling him in multiple times to report people hunting and trespassing (on our property with our permission, no idea why they kept calling the law).

Most target rounds are lead, I've only shot lead for clays and everyone I've seen there does as well. The club knows this is what people do and cleans the fields accordingly, not sure on specifics. I've seen them with large skidsteers and a combing attachment working.

lol well for one thing the targets are toxic to pigs from what I remember

True enough. I still use lead shot when shooting skeet. No waterfowl roaming around my fields. Not sure what's in my turkey loads. My buddy loads them up; I'll need to ask him. I thought it was only illegal for waterfowl. I'll need to reread the regs.

If they haven't already someone will find a link from lead in the ground to lead in the crop and moving up in the food chain.

If they haven't already someone will find a link from lead in the ground to lead in the crop and moving up in the food chain.
No need to look that far, if you lived down wind of Toronto Metal Works on Eastern Avenue years ago, there is likely enough heavy metal accumulated in your body now to set off the metal detectors at the airport.

No need to look that far, if you lived down wind of Toronto Metal Works on Eastern Avenue years ago, there is likely enough heavy metal accumulated in your body now to set off the metal detectors at the airport.

I'll keep that in mind if I make vegetarian meatballs. I don't want them made of contaminated vegetarians.

I'll keep that in mind if I make vegetarian meatballs. I don't want them made of contaminated vegetarians.
We used to grow wonderful carrots and vegetables, then I read about how well carrots absorb toxins from the soil :|
Then we had the soil and ground water tested and that whole area is a toxic soup mix of heavy metal and carcinogens.
Then I fixed the problem, we moved.

I rented a out of the way farmers field for 500 a season split 2 ways. broght a local bulldozer guy in for 2 days and we built a track. farmer didnt care cause the area couldnt be seeded due to swampy soil, it was perfect for us though becuase it kept the soil moist and loomie. loved every minute. i did break my leg on it but thats normal just added to the long list of racing sponsored visits to the ER.

We used to grow wonderful carrots and vegetables, then I read about how well carrots absorb toxins from the soil :|
Then we had the soil and ground water tested and that whole area is a toxic soup mix of heavy metal and carcinogens.
Then I fixed the problem, we moved.

I just yesterday found out rice likes to absorb arsenic from the soil. It's an issue in some cultures and depends on how the rice is washed and cooked. BTW they are experimenting with growing rice in Canada, down near Chatham IIRC. I don't know the arsenic levels.

Back
Top Bottom