Poor Service GP Bikes | GTAMotorcycle.com

Poor Service GP Bikes

Big_bob

I picked up a nail in my rear tire today and it quickly went flat. I was close to GP Bikes, so I re-inflated the tire and rode straight there. Went in to ask the service people if they could help me out and the young lady behind the counter said "it would be a while" before they could help me. Expecting to have to wait 3 or 4 hours, I asked how long was "a while" and she said September!! She then helpfully said that if I took the wheel off myself and gave it to them they could probably do it in 4 or 5 days.

I called CAA, they took the bike to Toronto BMW, who then replaced the tire in two hours, on the Friday before a long weekend and with all this COVID stuff going on.

I've had flats before on trips and everytime it happened, the shop I ended up at managed to squeeze me in to help me out. Telling someone with a punctured tire that they have to wait over a month for service is ridiculous.

Scorecard:

Toronto BMW: 1st Rate, excellent service and the price was reasonable.

CAA: Wonderful service. Th etruck operator knew how to properly secure the bike and was very friendly.

GP Bikes: very poor performance. I'll shop elsewhere from now on.

I think they'll be fine without you

get a plug kit

joins a forum just to leave a bad review? (n)

this is amusing

yU7f4LB.png

Not the first time I've heard of that there. Generally, it seems they're great for everything except bike service. Gotten too big I guess with too many people wanting service and not enough techs.

healthy bit of skepticism as this is your first post, I've always heard good things about GP bikes

Not the first time I've heard of that there. Generally, it seems they're great for everything except bike service. Gotten too big I guess with too many people wanting service and not enough techs.

It's a catch 22 the powersport business, rammed during the summer, and spartan in the winter months. Easier to find a unicorn than a motorcycle tech.

Meh. Probably spoke to someone who failed to understand the whole "Rider is broken down in the middle of a ride away from home" situation (or you didn't clearly explain such) and failed to think outside the box.

But it doesn't surprise me. My service experiences there have been lacklustre in the past. They're so busy they just don't really need to care much as if you go away mad there's 5 others to take your place. A big portion of the employees aren't even riders.

Now I go to Blackstock Motorsports instead.

Scorecard:
Toronto BMW: 1st Rate, excellent service and the price was reasonable.
GP Bikes: very poor performance. I'll shop elsewhere from now on.

At some point, some dealership, shop or store is going to be too busy to take your bike in. It just happened to be GP Bikes this time.

I've left messages at BMW Toronto before, they never called me back. Obviously too busy to take new appointments. I went elsewhere. When those other places were too busy, I went back to BMW Toronto when they answered the phones.

Don't take everything so personally. There's more than one motorcycle store in the GTA.

Unfortunately, even if GP bikes weren't busy, getting service there isnt a good idea. Brought my bike in for the 15k, got it back with a filled to the brim front brake reservoir and a near empty coolant tank. Only went there to preserve the warranty (first model year bike) but not going back to their service Dept again if I had a choice.

I don't have a choice though and I need a cam chain tensioner replaced under warranty. I guess I'll see what the difference is between a supervised apprentice and a master tech!

Their apparel people are good though. Always helpful.

Reactions: LBV
... "it would be a while" before they could help me. Expecting to have to wait 3 or 4 hours, I asked how long was "a while" and she said September!! ...
:LOL: is there a bed in the waiting room?

Guessing it's the lack of experience/or not give two $hits about a biker in trouble, when dealing with customers?
No spots open, can't help you!

nope. truth is they dont wanna service it cus its super cheap repair, and they can do other work in that time that brings in the big dunkaroos
Nope - truth is that (I've been told) they're backed up until mid-August on regular service appointments.
There's likely a lot more to the story. If OP walked in being a total Karen I woulda told him/her to take a hike too.

If I or some of the people here who are regular customers of GP came there with a flat tire, I guarantee our tire would be repaired or a new tire put on right away. OP, first post here and maybe first time at GP. "hi can you fix my tire so I con go home and order some stuff from Fortnine?"
Shops treat regular customers differently than first time customers, and I have no problem with that.

1. Creates account to complain about GP BIKES
2. No knowledge how to simply plug a tire and ride on.
3. Calls CAA for a tow...
4. You must be a new rider

Reactions: J_F
1. Creates account to complain about GP BIKES
3. Calls CAA for a tow...
4. You must be a new rider
And have it dragged all the way to BMW Toronto ?
There are a few places between Whitby and the DVP to have that kind of repair done.
I don't think the OP tried very hard, nor did GP try to find him an alternate solution.

Sigh. I only posted this so that others would be informed and could make their own decisions about which dealer(s) to support.

So, just to address some of the "issues" raised above:

I have purchased a new motor cycle (in 2017) from GP and regularly buy parts and apparel there.

I had the bike taken to BMW Toronto, because they had the tire in stock (couldn't find anyone closer who did).

I wasn't a "Karen", I politely explained my situation (stuck in their parking lot with a flat) and would have accepted "we can't do it until Tuesday" (it was a long weekend).

But, I think for them to say they can't do a tire replacement (it's normally a task for an apprentice or helper) for a month when you are stuck in their parking lot is just ridiculous.

But hey, that's just my opinion, forum members should do whatever they think is right.

Shops treat regular customers differently than first time customers

Every "regular customer" was a new customer at one point.

And what if it's a spoked tire with a tube?

Or, as was clarified, a sidewall puncture?

A lot of great leaps being taken in this thread. Instead of victim blaming, ask yourself if perhaps, just possibly, GP handled this poorly.

Back
Top Bottom