Plastic repair / paint wizards? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Plastic repair / paint wizards?

TwistedKestrel

King of GTAM
Site Supporter
Dropped my excellent condition green 97 TL1000S on the weekend. An unfortunately similar feeling to dropping a different bike 20 years ago, thinking "I deeply regret doing that". Can I get an F

Sooooo does anybody in Ontario currently do plastic repair and painting? The 2-3 I could think of have retired from it. Technically doesn't have to be Ontario, I will send the panels out somewhere if I have to

Dropped my excellent condition green 97 TL1000S on the weekend. An unfortunately similar feeling to dropping a different bike 20 years ago, thinking "I deeply regret doing that". Can I get an F

Sooooo does anybody in Ontario currently do plastic repair and painting? The 2-3 I could think of have retired from it. Technically doesn't have to be Ontario, I will send the panels out somewhere if I have to
If they are broken, I would find a good used fairing and have the set painted. Any bodyshop can paint and prep.

If they are just scuffed, you can wrap or have a body shop that repairs plastic bumpers do the job.

Finally getting my frame sliders installed as we speak. I hope to avoid a similar fate

Cant Ducati fenders be buffed out after a slide?

If they are broken, I would find a good used fairing and have the set painted. Any bodyshop can paint and prep.

If they are just scuffed, you can wrap or have a body shop that repairs plastic bumpers do the job.
Right side fairing is cracked near the turn signal. Something is going on with the opposite side (did not touch the ground but I guess it flexed it or something). Used fairings are an option, but they are not easy to come by. There is a panel on eBay that I wouldn't have to feel bad about getting painted SUZUKI TL1000S RIGHT FAIRING PANEL D22ME106 | eBay

If it was a TL1000R I would be able to try out one of those Chinese repro sets, but not for the S apparently

I'm currently in a similar situation with my 998. Luckily I've had it so long and it's well worn in that it didn't phase me as much as I thought it would. I guess I was just happy not to be in an American hospital and needing it towed back to Canada. I'm probably going with Chinese fairings (which generally fit well due to the simplicity of the 916 panels), but have been considering getting the a body shop to repair the originals if they can do it without looking like they did. Please let me know if you find someone and I'll do the same. I'll drop by Luxury Auto Body to see what Rich says. He said he can paint motorcycle bodywork when I told him about one of my projects a while ago, but we didn't discuss actual repairs.

I used this guy in Oshawa when I dropped my Blackbird. The work seemed pretty good but he doesn't paint, as far as I know. He did a quick rattle can for for me but it's not his specialty.

What material are we dealing with? It should be molded into the parts somewhere. For abs buildup/glue methyl methacrylate mixed with scrap abs gives you paste and then dries hard.

I used these guys years ago, quality work. I don't know what they're like now.

!!!NO NEVER!!! I live 3 minutes down the road, did business with Stan for decades. He's long gone, quality is reasonable, but its an insurance collision center now, cheap and dirty with zero ethics.

Last year my daughter's late model Jetta needed a warranty frame repair. VW approved re & re frame rail replacement for $2200, local VW has no body shop s they subbed work to Stan's. Stan's bondo'd the frame and slathered on undercoating,.. something I would never do, but could for $25.

VW freaked when they inspected the car. It went back and got done right.... left a bad taste and VW no longer subs to them.

What material are we dealing with? It should be molded into the parts somewhere. For abs buildup/glue methyl methacrylate mixed with scrap abs gives you paste and then dries hard.
Simpler is acetone and scrap abs. I've done 50÷ fairings and luggage parts, mostly Goldwings, older Yammie side covers, and a few Busas.

Making the ABS slurry is easy, figuring out how to use it is a craftsmanship art. I'm OK, but it takes hours to fix a break, OK on my projects, nobody would pay $20/hr to fix their fairings.

I used this guy in Oshawa when I dropped my Blackbird. The work seemed pretty good but he doesn't paint, as far as I know. He did a quick rattle can for for me but it's not his specialty.

Fantastic, this is exactly the kind of outfit I was looking for. A one stop shop would be ideal but this is now a good option A for me

I’ve heard good things about that place in Oshawa as well. Paint/prep can be found much easier (I like J&M Restoration in Bowmanville).

I've used him a couple of times. He will be super busy this time of year. A lot of bikes being repaired.

Back
Top Bottom